Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Oman with a CELTA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dekadan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks everyone, I wasn't expecting so many responses!

I am in the middle of a contract right now and would prefer not to break it, plus I have other commitments of a personal nature, i.e., a friend coming to visit. I will be free to pursue other options at the end of February, which doesn't strike me as the best time to be trying to get to any of the Gulf countries, but perhaps I may get lucky with some teachers failing their probationary period again.

MuscatGary, is it okay if I send you a private message about Hawthorn? I believe that I saw they are a little more flexible regarding the Bachelor degrees. I see many people posting about them, some good, some bad. Would just like to know your personal experiences with them.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, it's fine to pm me however I'm also happy to answer questions publically. I worked for Hawthorn for two years, the visa process was smooth, took about five weeks but not an issue. Salary was paid on time or early every month, in cash until I got my bank a/c up and running. For the first semester (I joined in the February btw) I lived in their accommodation, very large, fully furnished two bed apartment and then opted to take the extra dosh (200 OMR pcm) and rent privately, they still supplied the furniture for me and paid my utilities up to 30 OMR pcm (It's enough).

I only transferred to direct hire because the money is better otherwise I have no complaints about Hawthorn. Others say differently but maybe they just couldn't cut the mustard here.

There are often vacancies in February in the Colleges of Applied Sciences as teachers leave after the first semester.
Dekadan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response and the information! Strange how some people are content with the recruiters while others have a terrible time - and I've read some of those horror stories! Bad luck? Conflicting personalities? Full moon? If I go this route, I would like to avoid it as much as possible!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dekadan wrote:
Thanks for the quick response and the information! Strange how some people are content with the recruiters while others have a terrible time - and I've read some of those horror stories! Bad luck? Conflicting personalities? Full moon? If I go this route, I would like to avoid it as much as possible!

Not doing their homework first and arriving with unrealistic expectations is the main cause of unhappiness. Also it's amazing how many people arrive, find out that others are on different (better) packages and then want to renegotiate instead of honouring their agreement, which presumably they were happy with, and then try to get a better deal for the next year. Others arrive and complain about the heat!
Dekadan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, wait, it's hot in Oman? Who would have predicted that? Wink Then again expecting it to be hot and actually experiencing the heat are two different things.

Yeah, that's a big part of any job dissatisfaction: the discrepancy of expectations and reality, which can only be made worse when someone finds out coworkers have a better deal!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dekadan wrote:
Whoa, wait, it's hot in Oman? Who would have predicted that? Wink Then again expecting it to be hot and actually experiencing the heat are two different things.

LOL... it can be quite a shock if you arrive in August... and realize how hot it still was in the middle of the night... not to mention very very humid. I always tell newbies that it is rather like sticking one's head in an oven full of steam.

Teacher turnover is high with the recruiters for a number of reasons. A top one is certainly unrealistic expectations from the teachers (you mean it isn't run like my Community College back home???). Another of the top reasons is that these recruiters often are desperate for teachers and don't vet their hires very well. You will run into some interesting characters rattling around the Gulf. Cool I always thought of it as fodder for the retirement novel.

VS
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Qualifications Reply with quote

RAFO accepted me with a BA in history and a CELTA. They're permanently short of teachers, mainly due to their slow recruitment process, but they're not bad employers.
Dekadan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to try for a late February hire, any suggestions as to when to apply? Should I go after the jobs that are being posted now and be up front about it?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about this coming February, your application should already be there. Laughing Apply to whatever you see now and see what the offers are... paperwork to get you there always takes awhile in the Gulf.

VS
Dekadan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, best get on that then! Fingers crossed I'm not too late!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with VS with the caveat that applying now to the agents (direct hire is different) may well result in an offer and 'can you come now?' as in RIGHT NOW! If you ask them for a February start then you WILL have to remind them of your interest nearer the time as they will lose your application, forget about you.....
Dekadan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if that might be the case, too. Thanks for the advice, MuscatGary!
D-M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend working for the British Council in Oman with a music degree, CELTA and a few years experience. Not had a lot of contact with him since he started there, but from his experience it would appear not related degree+CELTA is enough.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect that the British Council can set its own requirements, and since they hire only perhaps 0-3 new teachers a year - most of them local hires, I wouldn't use them as an example of anything related to standard Oman teaching job requirements.

Like all Gulf countries, rules seem to have flexibility depending on employer. If you have an unrelated degree, I would try to confirm current hires from that employer in the same situation.

VS
D-M

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure you're right ... I have zero knowledge of the place TBH. I peep in this forum sometimes just to see if there is mention of the BC as I really dont contact or hear from my friend very often.

Whilst the BC might not be typical employers, or even hire often, for anyone desperate to get to Oman, knowing they may qualify for a BC teaching position might be useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: