Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreigners must have work permit before arriving in VN:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vabeckele



Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Posts: 439

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Teach for free in VN? Sure, why not, I am doing this as a form of charity anyways...


I hear that, but remember...you must be an ESL professional to do so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 1931
Location: Paradise, Paradise, Paradise!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vabeckele wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
Teach for free in VN? Sure, why not, I am doing this as a form of charity anyways...


I hear that, but remember...you must be an ESL professional to do so.


Paradise, paradise, paradise! Isn't that what another professional TELF'er once said?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kimmy



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have a few things to say. One needs to be a real tough cookie to succeed in here.

Daily life together with teaching takes its toll on the average, sincere foreigner.
The ongoing humidity, to some degree, probably depletes our glutathione levels, hence challenges us both mentally and physically.

One would most likely need to have an extremely attractive salary as an incentive to commit to staying on. Furthermore, a personal relationship, family ties etc would be a valid reason to wnat to have any connection to Vietnam.

I am currently in the process of gradually parting with a colleague of seven years. He has expressed the same frustrations as some of the previous posts and has decided to call it quits.

It's sad.....


Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Oh My God



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
vabeckele wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
Teach for free in VN? Sure, why not, I am doing this as a form of charity anyways...


I hear that, but remember...you must be an ESL professional to do so.


Paradise, paradise, paradise! Isn't that what another professional TELF'er once said?


Yeah but he's YOUR buddy so I'd say it was inspired by you Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cb400



Joined: 27 Sep 2010
Posts: 168
Location: Hanoi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I am really sorry I am missing all this............ Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 1931
Location: Paradise, Paradise, Paradise!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My God wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
vabeckele wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
Teach for free in VN? Sure, why not, I am doing this as a form of charity anyways...


I hear that, but remember...you must be an ESL professional to do so.


Paradise, paradise, paradise! Isn't that what another professional TELF'er once said?


Yeah but he's YOUR buddy so I'd say it was inspired by you Rolling Eyes


Guilt by association? Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty?

Wink Razz Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mattingly



Joined: 03 Jul 2008
Posts: 165

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRH wrote:
I heard a second hand report that tourist visas are no longer immediately available in Cambodia and that some teachers are currently stuck on the other side of the border with their personal effects still here.


This is confirmed as a fact.

However.....It lasted for a couple days, and "apparently" the visas are up and running.

Quote:
I have no direct verification but if so this is a rather drastic situation for some.


It's a realization that we need to have a backup plan and that we shouldn't invest too much emotion, time, energy, or money here.

Also, to get a 3 months visa OR extension inside Vietnam BEFORE you do your runs you now MUST produce,

1. a lease / rental contract in Vietnamese by your landlord,

AND

2. a Vietnamese criminal background check,

JUST to get a THREE MONTH VISA or 1-time extension inside the country.


And of course, this MAY change in a couple weeks, month, or couple / few months.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RustyShackleford



Joined: 13 May 2013
Posts: 86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an extension on my visa for two months after submitting my documents (health check, criminal, degrees, passport) via my workplace. No lease contract or whatever necessary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
8balldeluxe



Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 64
Location: vietnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On a different note, I would like to ask those who have been here more than 5 years or so about the cyclical nature of teaching in Vietnam. At this moment in time where the economy is down I am getting many phone calls from private individuals asking me to teach, which is the complete opposite when I came here a few years ago where it was the organisations that had all of the work. I can see a pattern emerging where teachers make many connections when the economy is down but will have to run around a lot more, but when things pick up all of a sudden these private individuals kind of disappear (as they merge into a 'centre'). Is this a correct assumption?

I can try and shed some light on that question. I remember long long ago- that we would get calls out of the blue, but they were from schools. Calls asking us to teach. We could not know how they got the numbers, but they usually had a solid set of classes. You didn't have to worry about the harsh attitudes or body language because they needed you. It was a sensible time and those kind of ego games were far less because people were more focussed on work. Sometimes individuals would need privates but schools would give them to you, and a few of my schools arranged the privates on their premesiss. They figured it was good for business. You didn't have to make connections, all you had to do was be thorough and responsible and word got around you were a good teacher. (despite the good will, some teachers used this as a time to make bad connections, doing their best to trash the joint.)
Now you say individuals are calling out of the blue. To me this makes sense because a lot of the institutes have gotten caught up in stupid behavior and taken their eyes off the ball. Instead of seeing why their problems occurred they just got defensive and turned on their teachers and thought of ways to cut pay or cut corners or get rid of anyone who disagreed.
History never repeats itself, but it does rhyme, as Mark Twain once said. I think to understand why the individuals are suddenly calling for a private teacher, and I have noticed this too, is nature's way of entering into the equation. It's what happens when you provide bullshit product for too long, and that's what these new management geniuses have had to show for themselves- general lowering of product quality. When you beat up on teachers long enough, swindle their money, don't provide books or materials for students and don't listen to teacher advice or market feedback the quality goes down. I think this is the ickyest and most unsavory time for EFL I have ever seen here. Most of the managers and school owners are completely off their heads. I have no idea what they think they are going to accomplish. The best thing to do is not go for big money, teach well at a place where intelligent or good people are involved . Find schools that pay less, but who you can trust. There are still people very keen on learning English - as the people who call you. This phase will pass. Be a good teacher, be thoughtful and do a good job and ride it out.
So I don't think it is a cycle. This is just another phase for this era. A particularly bad era for EFL. You don't need to make contacts any more than before, because the problem is the overall economic situation. If the schools want to behave childishly, let them, because the students will vote with their feet .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vabeckele



Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Posts: 439

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8balldeluxe wrote:
Quote:
On a different note, I would like to ask those who have been here more than 5 years or so about the cyclical nature of teaching in Vietnam. At this moment in time where the economy is down I am getting many phone calls from private individuals asking me to teach, which is the complete opposite when I came here a few years ago where it was the organisations that had all of the work. I can see a pattern emerging where teachers make many connections when the economy is down but will have to run around a lot more, but when things pick up all of a sudden these private individuals kind of disappear (as they merge into a 'centre'). Is this a correct assumption?

I can try and shed some light on that question. I remember long long ago- that we would get calls out of the blue, but they were from schools. Calls asking us to teach. We could not know how they got the numbers, but they usually had a solid set of classes. You didn't have to worry about the harsh attitudes or body language because they needed you. It was a sensible time and those kind of ego games were far less because people were more focussed on work. Sometimes individuals would need privates but schools would give them to you, and a few of my schools arranged the privates on their premesiss. They figured it was good for business. You didn't have to make connections, all you had to do was be thorough and responsible and word got around you were a good teacher. (despite the good will, some teachers used this as a time to make bad connections, doing their best to trash the joint.)
Now you say individuals are calling out of the blue. To me this makes sense because a lot of the institutes have gotten caught up in stupid behavior and taken their eyes off the ball. Instead of seeing why their problems occurred they just got defensive and turned on their teachers and thought of ways to cut pay or cut corners or get rid of anyone who disagreed.
History never repeats itself, but it does rhyme, as Mark Twain once said. I think to understand why the individuals are suddenly calling for a private teacher, and I have noticed this too, is nature's way of entering into the equation. It's what happens when you provide bullshit product for too long, and that's what these new management geniuses have had to show for themselves- general lowering of product quality. When you beat up on teachers long enough, swindle their money, don't provide books or materials for students and don't listen to teacher advice or market feedback the quality goes down. I think this is the ickyest and most unsavory time for EFL I have ever seen here. Most of the managers and school owners are completely off their heads. I have no idea what they think they are going to accomplish. The best thing to do is not go for big money, teach well at a place where intelligent or good people are involved . Find schools that pay less, but who you can trust. There are still people very keen on learning English - as the people who call you. This phase will pass. Be a good teacher, be thoughtful and do a good job and ride it out.
So I don't think it is a cycle. This is just another phase for this era. A particularly bad era for EFL. You don't need to make contacts any more than before, because the problem is the overall economic situation. If the schools want to behave childishly, let them, because the students will vote with their feet .


I enjoyed reading that, thanks.
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
scottydu



Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Location: HCMC, Vietnam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Foreigners must have work permit before arriving in VN: Reply with quote

I live and have taught here for a year plus. Keep in mind there are "laws" in Vietnam, and then there are the "laws that are enforced"... for example, you need a drivers license to ride a motorbike. I don't have one. If caught, it costs $10 - $25 and you're on your way...

It's also illegal to open a restaurant here without all the forms, documents, etc. I have a small cafe that I have zero permits for and it's doing just fine. Police come by and here's some $$$.

So to address your post... Many, many teachers still do not have work permits here and are doing just fine, but some laws in October and one that started in November has definitely made it more expensive / difficult to stay here on a tourist visa. You now need a resident book to renew your visa legally which takes time and requires some headache, and the first renew used to cost $25 for a 3-mo single and now it's $60. The 2nd renew (under the table) was $35 and now it's over $100. The third under the table renew, lol, I just did for $145. Next time I'll have to go to Cambodia or leave the country to reset the clock, otherwise it'll get too pricey.

Hope that helps... but you certainly don't NEED a work permit to teach here... it just makes things easier. Of course, getting the work permit can be a headache of its own. Best of luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LongShiKong



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 881
Location: China

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Foreigners must have work permit before arriving in VN: Reply with quote

scottydu wrote:
... but you certainly don't NEED a work permit to teach here...


Aren't those the kinds of schools that have the highest turnover?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC