Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6 month/1 year visas cancelled in Phnom Penh
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this an issue? If you have a uni degree, a clean criminal record, a TESOL/CELTA and an authorized medical check you can get a three year work permit with an employment contract. That's what I did, but I'm an English teacher.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this an issue? If you have...

Seems like we have considered this point of view before. Indeed, let them eat cake.

In case anyone else is not aware of it, over 80% of all "but I am an English teacher"s do not have work permits, and it is not because that is their preference. It is the majority of operators say they will but don't, or say they will in time, or say none of their guys have them, or whatever. Anyway, bottom line, for most of our guys, it is an issue.

I am thinking they just want the 180 every 3 months instead of the 250 once a year, which seems like a logical position to take. Be nice if they could be a bit more open about what is really going on, but they never have in the past, so no expectation for them to be that way now.
Mushroom Druid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone wrote:
Why is this an issue? If you have a uni degree, a clean criminal record, a TESOL/CELTA and an authorized medical check you can get a three year work permit with an employment contract. That's what I did, but I'm an English teacher.

Tigerstyleone,

That is the ideal, but it is not reality.

Only the large chains assist (meaning pay and do the admin work) for work permits.

The rest of the schools have the teacher do all of the legwork and pay the fees. The legwork getting the translations, notarizations, and medical is not too bad. But the fees is where we get over-charged.

My school sent us an email telling us to find a good labor lawyer (laugh) to assist us getting a WP.

The cost they told us it would be: $1,000 USD

And this work permit is not transferable to another school, even if it's across the street.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My source is the most knowledgeable and trusted business owner and visa agent in Hanoi.

Not to be pedantic, but did she mention her own source of the info?

Quote:

Tigerstyleone wrote:

Tigerstyleone,

Only the large chains assist (meaning pay and do the admin work) for work permits.

Yes, as I "understand" it, the process is an unclear, complicated and expensive one involving notarization and translation of documents, contacting the US Secretary of State (if American) and who knows what else...

Please explain the step-by-step process that you went through.

Not everyone wants to work at ILA, Apollo, Language Link, etc and those who find VN too much of a headache are happily working as English teachers in some other country.
Mushroom Druid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushroom Druid
[quote]
Quote:
My source is the most knowledgeable and trusted business owner and visa agent in Hanoi.

sigmoid
Quote:
Not to be pedantic, but did she mention her own source of the info?

This is also fair to ask.

Lai has been preparing trips for the 1 year visa in PP for years.

She is in contact with PP almost every day. She has to be in contact with them because she arranges flights, busses and other things for people who do this run from Hanoi who lack time and want a turn-key trip.

Lai knows. This is her main business. I am sure some posters on this board know of her business and the restaurant, also.

I remember when my Embassy in Hanoi insistend I could not transfer my visa from my old passport to my new one at the airport when exitiing. Lai told me the US Embassy was wrong, and she was correct.

I hav her business email. If anyone wants to email her to confirm this or ask her questions, please PM me.
mangoman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a 1 year visa in S'ville. They now require work contract and housing contract. My friend doesn't have a work contract and got a 6 month visa in Phnom Penh. I got mine on Friday and he got his on Monday. Don't know where the 'not available' is coming from. I have had five 1 year visas in a row so perhaps that helps but don't know. Anyway, good luck. As we all know, the rules change every week here.
Anh Dep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please explain to me the point of visa runs. You go from Vietnam to another country and obtain a new visa from a embassy, then come back to Vietnam and continue what you were doing. It seems to me that its a waste of time, why not just have the government here reissue a visa or extend.Its not like they cant keep track of someone, why does the government keep making it more difficult. I feel they just want to make things difficult, as a VN friend of mine said, the government likes to do things the hard way to obtain more funds.Maybe Im missing something here, but for the life of me I cant see why they persist in visa runs. Can someone please fill me in, I have searched the internet but cant find a clear answer.
bobpen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anh Dep wrote:
.... why not just have the government here reissue a visa or extend.

Because that would be quick and easy, and those in charge don't want it like that. Of course it used to be that way precisely until Aug/September 2009 when suddenly almost overnight guys were getting rejected at their favorite cafe's, coffee shops, and travel agents they had been going to every six months.
mangoman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And visa runs are fun Very Happy
half moon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Consulate in Sihanoukville stopped issuing 6 month and 1 year visas about 5 weeks ago. You can only get a 3 month, now.

But an experienced and knowledgeable agent told me a couple of days ago that the Consulate in S'ville is actually closed. Shut down.

Any confirmation on this?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushroom Druid wrote:
Tigerstyleone wrote:

Tigerstyleone,

The rest of the schools have the teacher do all of the legwork and pay the fees. The legwork getting the translations, notarizations, and medical is not too bad. But the fees is where we get over-charged.

My school sent us an email telling us to find a good labor lawyer (laugh) to assist us getting a WP.

The cost they told us it would be: $1,000 USD

And this work permit is not transferable to another school, even if it's across the street.

Very well said. I worked for a govt. uni and I had a "contract". It stated that the FT was responsible for applying and having a valid WP along with said costs. It was a total crock. The contract was worthless and the school knew damn well I wasn't going to apply for a WP on my own without any support or help from them. As long as I had some sorta visa to stay legally in VN, they paid me in cash money, every week, the same as all the VNese teachers. VN dong stuffed into an envelope and sign the paysheet please. I liked the fact that they would pay to the TWO HUNDRED DONG ( I mean, if my salary for the week was $5,500,200.700 VND they would actually pay the EXACT amount, not rounded up or down, I liked it) Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: