Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching without a diploma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yf.lisa.zhang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Teaching without a diploma Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am going to be finished with my 100hr TESOL certificate soon, and I am also done my undergrad courses. However I am unable to obtain my undergrad diploma until May which is when my graduation is, but I want to start teaching abroad NOW. Can anyone give me some advise on how i can go about doing this, also are there countries that want english teachers with TESOL but without university diploma?

Please help.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you from (country of origin makes legal differences in where you can go)? Did your TESOL cert include supervised teaching practice with real students or not? Also makes a difference.

For some countries, 'NOW' is not good timing. In my part/s of the world, for example, most contracts are Sept-June, and there is little work around right now.

If you give us more info, someone can probably point you in a useful direction.
yf.lisa.zhang

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Where are you from (country of origin makes legal differences in where you can go)? Did your TESOL cert include supervised teaching practice with real students or not? Also makes a difference.

For some countries, 'NOW' is not good timing. In my part/s of the world, for example, most contracts are Sept-June, and there is little work around right now.

I am from Canada. and My TESOL certificate did not include supervised teaching practice with real students.
yf.lisa.zhang

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

I am from Canada. and My TESOL certificate did not include supervised teaching practice with real students.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to provide a little more information here. No degree is required for legal work in the EU, but the region tends to be open to EU passport holders only. A recognised TEFL qualification is key there though ... and by this I refer to on-site courses with observed teaching practice.

So information on your nationality can help with advice .. also details of your TEFL course, and your age. Some countries have limits or regulations regarding age. And while isnt isnt very PC to say it ... your ethnic background can have some influence too ... a Chinese user name? Being ethnically Chinese is a disadvantage in some Chinese employers as they want (ideally) white faces with blonde hair.

The good news is its a big old world out there. But if you really want to start now try and look for some volunteer work or other charitable language work that may exist locally.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Canadian with an online cert (or a partially onsite one without the supervised teaching practice with real students) stands basically zero chance of finding anything in Europe. Two reasons: non-EU member state passport = limited to Central Europe legally regardless of qualifications. Cert without real teaching practice = substandard for the region. There are numerous training centres in the area which turn out literally thousands of new teachers every year with the key supervised teaching practice.

What did your course provider tell you regarding your prospects worldwide?
yf.lisa.zhang

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! I wasn't looking at Europe in particular, just something to do while I wait for my undergrad diploma to print essentially.
I think it would be good to gain experience as well, I'm not looking for anything high paying. I'm also willing to travel to anywhere. Though it seems going to Asian would be a problem because of my name, perhaps I should marry a Caucasian or get blond hair and blue eyes. LOL

In terms of job prospects I was guaranteed to find job placement in a year by my TESOL cert provider.
Professional TEFLer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching without a diploma Reply with quote

yf.lisa.zhang wrote:
are there countries that want english teachers with TESOL but without university diploma?

HCMC Vietnam. Cool
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yf.lisa.zhang wrote:
...just something to do while I wait for my undergrad diploma to print essentially.

Heading abroad asap because you want something to fill in your time while waiting for the ink to dry on your degree means assessing your current budget in terms of start-up costs (e.g., airfare, food, lodging, visa fees, etc.). Keep in mind it also takes time to look for short-term work as well as go through a potentially lengthy visa process.

As another poster suggested, put your TESOL training into practice by volunteer teaching at one of your local ESL non-profit organizations. Your degree will be conferred in less than 6 months, and subsequently, you'll then be eligible for a wider selection of TEFL positions abroad---jobs that offer better pay and working conditions.

However, if you're still antsy to go overseas now, scour this forum and the general jobs discussion forum; the topic of where to (legally) work without a university degree has been discussed numerous times. Just be aware that pool of jobs is drying up. Moreover, although employers may state you don't need a degree, a completed BA could still be a requirement for a work visa/permit.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching without a diploma Reply with quote

yf.lisa.zhang wrote:

are there countries that want english teachers with TESOL but without university diploma?

Yes, there are countries where you would be acceptable for entry-level jobs. I would start with Latin America. Be aware that pay is mostly subsistence level, and that you probably need to be there to find a job. Mexico has recently changed its visa laws, making the work visa process more difficult--there's info on the country board if working there interests you. You might want to consider a stand-alone supervised teaching practice to beef up your credentials, since it sounds as if your cert is sub-par. This is available in Guadalajara, and possibly Mexico City. While not necessary in order to secure a first job in the region, it would provide some initial contacts, both social and professional, job search support including advice about possible employers, and assistance in orienting yourself to a new country. Your future students might appreciate it, as well. (Also could be done in Canada--Coventry House in Toronto, for example; but you'd lose the networking advantages that come with doing it where you hope to work.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: