Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abandon Hope On Entering TEFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel very sorry for those who find that this 2004 article accurately describes their TELF experiences.

Having taught EFL for 23 years and ESL for 10 years, I've found it to be an very rewarding career, one that has allowed me to see so much of the globe on someone else's dime, has provided very fulfilling teaching experiences, and has given me financial security in my "geezerhood."

At 70, I'm still teaching about 15 classroom hours a week, but that's not because I have to; it's because I want to. I'm having too much fun to give it up. Very Happy

Regards,
John
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
At 70, I'm still teaching about 15 classroom hours a week, but that's not because I have to; it's because I want to. I'm having too much fun to give it up.

+1

John, I like yer style.

If I make it to 70 (I got 30 years to go), I am hoping that I am in the same boat. I don't ever really want to retire from this wonderful profession and I fully intend to continue teaching even when I am "no longer supposed to be doing so" (whatever that really means).

The only "retire" I am interested in is getting new tubes for my bicycle.

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same author didn’t have much luck in Poland

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3651856/Down-and-Out-in-Poland-and-London.html

or England

http://rocketspage.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/1168/

where he was born with a whole drawer of silver spoons in his mouth (part of the article only)

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/style/fashion/trends/article63793.ece

Google his name, though. He makes some sort of income nowadays through writing, which I imagine was helped by his experiences (eking out a) living in Europe. If he’d stayed in England working with daddy, I doubt he’d have the mind to writing anything publishable or of interest. Anyway, just a beer costs over €10 in Rome, what did he expect?

EU teachers in Europe have the opportunity of a lifetime. Do that for a few years to learn a new/useful language and a different culture, never be more than a two-hour flight from your family and head back after a few years as a much better and more interesting person who can achieve things a stayed-at-home UK landlubber can only marvel at. I don’t recommend a long spell of European TEFLism, but up to five years for younger people should be made compulsory.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasha,
I stand by my comments earlier, could not really care if it was unkind, it is factual and that counts more. True, I was generalizing with language schools in this country and I have not met many people who have stayed working for them for more than 5 years, even fewer who ould argue with my critic of them. I have no doubt there are good language schools as there bad universities, just going by my own experience. I also agree that as long as you can teach and want to, it can be a life long and fulfilling way to earn a living, I also happen to think it has set me up for my "geezerhood" in many different ways.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I also find amusing is that the OP, who "slaved away" many years in TEFL, is now enjoying a financially secure retirement in his homeland, too.

Very Happy

Regards,
John
corniche

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:

Here in Quebec, having a baccalauréat en enseignement de l'anglais langue seconde is the golden ticket to a government teaching job with a substantial salary (versus COL) and full benefits.

Has it changed so much in four years? Montreal pupils were only having a day a week of EFL in the upper grades.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corniche wrote:
santi84 wrote:

Here in Quebec, having a baccalauréat en enseignement de l'anglais langue seconde is the golden ticket to a government teaching job with a substantial salary (versus COL) and full benefits.

Has it changed so much in four years? Montreal pupils were only having a day a week of EFL in the upper grades.

The kids are now in 50/50 immersion by age 11 until they fly the nest for CEGEP Smile Of course, Pauline wants to change this, but we'll see what happens.
corniche

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
corniche wrote:
santi84 wrote:

The kids are now in 50/50 immersion by age 11 until they fly the nest for CEGEP Smile Of course, Pauline wants to change this, but we'll see what happens.

My mistake, it's been 6 years since I actually looked into it. Things can change so rapidly in public education. For ex in US, NCLB is now Common Core.

Best wishes that it doesn't get phased down, after it's been ramped up Wink
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corniche wrote:
santi84 wrote:
corniche wrote:
santi84 wrote:

My mistake, it's been 6 years since I actually looked into it. Things can change so rapidly in public education. For ex in US, NCLB is now Common Core.

Best wishes that it doesn't get phased down, after it's been ramped up Wink

Is that why I've been reading Common Core everywhere these days? I admit, I haven't kept up - I really should. Yes, things are changing by the week it seems. Who knows if my fellow teachers will be allowed to wear a hijab by next month? Will they be speaking English or French? Who knows? Quebec is bureaucracy.
corniche

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hijab thing -- are all gender-based, modesty coverings subject to the Charte des valeurs? Does that mean Pauline will be topless in Ft Laud at her new 2,5 million condo and wearing a thong?
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corniche wrote:
The hijab thing -- are all gender-based, modesty coverings subject to the Charte des valeurs? Does that mean Pauline will be topless in Ft Laud at her new 2,5 million condo and wearing a thong?

Anything larger than a tiny Catholic cross is subject to the proposed charter! If it isn't pure laine Catholic neutre, it's not allowed Twisted Evil
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL doesn't need to be slave labour. I have been teaching for fourteen years and have always had a good salary (Taiwan, Korea, Hong Kong).

I've been in Hong Kong since 2007 and since then have bought a beach, a farm, three condos and two houses in the Philippines as well as been able to fund two master degrees and a TESOL Diploma.

I'm also married with two lovely kids and life is good.

I've never looked back and I'd hate to return to the UK. At the moment I'm earning probably three times what I would have
earned if I'd stayed in my lecturing position.

It isn't all doom and gloom but you do need to go for it and treat TEFL as a serious career and if there is something holding you back like lack of qualifications, experience etc ... then change it Smile

Just my thoughts.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corniche wrote:
Does that mean Pauline will be topless in Ft Laud at her new 2,5 million condo and wearing a thong?

Oooo la la!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
oxi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeacherTim wrote:

I've been in Hong Kong since 2007 and since then have bought a beach, a farm, three condos and two houses in the Philippines

A whole beach?

Where's your job and are there any more vacancies? 😄
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxi wrote:
TeacherTim wrote:

I've been in Hong Kong since 2007 and since then have bought a beach, a farm, three condos and two houses in the Philippines

A whole beach?

Where's your job and are there any more vacancies? 😄

Hi Oxi,

Actually, I think you're a NET too Smile I'm lucky in that I'm now at the top of the scale, hence my investments over the years.

Re: the beach? I've just sold it (like last week!). Having bought it, I had clear idea of what to do with it. So, it went and the proceedings will help fund my M Ed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: