Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baltic States for non-natives, experience, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilugru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Baltic States for non-natives, experience, etc. Reply with quote

Hello, everybody! Do you mind answering some questions about Baltic States for a newbie? Very Happy
I'm also interested in working there and I'm a non-native, Russian, to be exact. I'm doing CELTA this August and I've just taken CPE, but don't know the results yet. Provided I'm successful in both of them (God forgive me for this assumption Rolling Eyes ), I'll try to find job with IH or another international language school in Moscow to gain some experience and have it in my CV. I also intend to qualify as a teacher of Russian as a foreign language at Moscow State University. Then next year I hope to try my luck in Lithuania (preferably, 'cause my ancestors, though very distant, came from there) or any other Central European country. Josef asked basically the same question a few days ago, but I'm not as experienced as he is and much younger, 28, so maybe things for me are a little bit different. Do you think I stand the chance and what do you think of my plan in general?
Oh, and one more thing. What is accepted as "experience"? I have been working as a teacher of English for 6 years now in Russia at different state and private schools and institutes. Is this worth anything beyond Russian borders or only post-CELTA experience is recognised? And how do you normally prove your experience? I also have a degree in Linguistics, but it's Russian again and I don't know if it is recognised elsewhere.
Thank you in advance,
ilugru
P.S. I would really appreciate a piece of advice from all experienced teachers here
P. P. S. - especially for ibasiram - do I understand correctly that you are Polish? If so, your advice may be the most valuable.
ibasiram

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ilugru,
Well, first of all, I'm sorry to inform you that I'm not Polish, but have been working there for the past two years. I'm Irish and am hoping to work in Lithuania or the Baltics, (or even Russia?) in September.

By experience, I think most schools mean post-CELTA experience, because as the CELTA is a minimum requirement as a qualification and generally people get qualified before they work.
Having already 6 years of experience in schools will count for a lot, though.

It is probably a good idea to get a job in Moscow / Russia just after completing the CELTA. That will be valuable experience. IH are good for experience and development. Not sure about IH Moscow...I've heard mixed reactions to them..in fact there's a long topic on them on the Russia forum..

If you want to work in Lithuania, it will be hard, especially for Russians, because of all the paperwork that would be involved with work permits and visas etc..
If you have Lithuanian ancestors..it might be an idea to try and trace this to a Lithuanian passport..that might be an advantage..

Have a good time,
Ibasiram Wink
ilugru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibasiram, thanks a lot for your reply, it was very valuable. Do you know non-natives who work together with you or other natives? Is it possible to be a non-native and still have a successful TEFL career?
And one more thing. Is it easier to find a position abroad through your school, like IH? I mean if you work with them in one country, will they like you more in another and does IH or any other network encourage trades between schools?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: