Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFLing in Malaysia--the basics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: TEFLing in Malaysia--the basics Reply with quote

Looks like I'm one of the first to post in the Malaysia forum! Am I right? How cool. I visited Kuala Lumpur in 2007 and found it to be a really great city. Clean, modern, easy to get around, interesting, decent public transportation. Anyway, anyone out there know what it's like to TEFL in Malaysia? Maybe we could start the new forum out with some of the more basic info.

-salary ranges
-any degree requirements for visas
-visas/work permits needed
-cost of living, cities vs. rural
-ESL demand
-showing up vs. finding a job online

Thanks! Any info you've got on any of the above is warmly welcomed and appreciated. And good luck to everyone out there in their TEFLing adventures...
Tudor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MBee, you may or may not be aware that there are still a number of threads about teaching in Malaysia tucked away on the General Asia forum, which may address some of the points you've raised.

Nevertheless, I think your post is a great idea for the new forum and it'd be nice to have some relevant info collated in one place. What's more, my girlfriend has a couple of interviews (non-teaching) lined up in KL soon, so I may well be Malaysia-bound myself in the not-too-distant future!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can contribute to this thread.
ffx99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've lived in Malaysia for a number of years now and I'll try to answer some of your questions. But with such "large" questions, the answers can be "large" as well.

-salary ranges
Anywhere from RM3000/month (private part-time center) to RM25,000/month (administrator/trainer in university)

-any degree requirements for visas
Usually a bachelor degree requirement. There are also often age requirement. My current posting required the applicant to be at least 27 years of age.

-visas/work permits needed
Yes, to work you must have a work VISA. Companies/schools should provide these for you. If they don't or they make you pay for them, stay away.

-cost of living, cities vs. rural
cost of living is subjective. City is expensive (expat lifestyle) and rural life is obviously cheaper. I live in the city but I don't live an expat lifestyle. It all depends on your lifestyle choice.

-ESL demand
ESL demand is moderate. If you have a white face it is to your benefit. But many local people are very qualified so you'd have to show yourself well-trained and capable.

-showing up vs. finding a job online
showing up would be very difficult. The ESL demand in Malaysia is, like I said, only moderate. There are rarely ads in the paper, and if there are, they are catering to locals. If you found a job by just showing up, it would have to be through "knowing someone" or building relationships.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

26% tax rate for 1st 6 mos then down to 13% tax rate thereafter.....

also---I was told my wıfe and I could fınd housıng for 1000 per month

ıs thıs true and also are the apts havıng a re,frıgerator etc?

could we save 2000 rınggıt after all expenses montly?? pls advıse anyone
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends upon which city you are posted in as to the cost levels.

In KL, one can still rent in the RM1,500 range and get a 3- to 4-bedroom house with 2 or 3 bathrooms. It is SUBURBIA, mind you, but if Malaysians can live there, why not us?

In Kuantan, where I lived (note, past tense), one could rent a house for RM500-800.

Teaching salaries for the most common positions (university or college TESL) still run low by the standards of other expat salaries. We are talking anywhere from RM3k up as mentioned by ffx99. If you want the big rinngit (> $10k), you will need to check out the British Council and the large international schools (middle and high school). Colleges can and do hire locals to teach TESL even though those teachers may not be able to converse in English. In KL there are quite a few Malaysians fluent in English, but that drops off once you get into the hinterlands.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE LIKE LIVING WITH LOCALS ---SCREW THE EXPAT GHWETTOS.

WHERE DO THE LOCALS LIVE THAT WE CAN GET A PLACE FOR HUSBAND AND WIFE FOR UNDER 1000 PER MONTH?
U99A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go into deep rural Johor and get a house for just RM350.
Lima_07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice post !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: