Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The chances of getting a job by showing up at the door.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waygeek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: The chances of getting a job by showing up at the door. Reply with quote

I'm in Korea, might be looking to jump ship short notice. My school's going under, every week at least one staffer up and walks out, everyone else has their notice handed in (literally, minus the directors of course). I might just go home, but I might take a chance and fly over to Japan and start knocking on doors.

What are the chances of this working? Being in Japan already, with a year and a half experience teaching in Korea, and referees that can vouch? I have a Criminal Background Check from home, but it's a year and a half old, as I have not returned home since coming over to Asia. Would this be a big obstacle? Would providing a Korean CBC help? Could I find a job, and start working while waiting for a new CBC to be sent over? Is it a decent enough time to be looking for a job over there? I'd be looking for something in a fairly big city, in the vicinity of the big three would be fine by me.

Any advice would be appreciated.
surendra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of institution are you trying to work in?

CBCs aren't needed for Eikaiwa (Hagwon) jobs. Showing up in Japan helps but isn't the safest. By that I mean, because you don't have the ARC, you aren't particularly ahead of anyone else on their lists. Also, while on a tourist visa, you may need proof of onward travel.

Some Eikaiwa like WinBe and American Language School (i think thats the name) like it/don't mind if you are in country with out the ARC.

Dispatch companies for PS are hiring ATM i think. However, the benefits aren't like those of K-town.
Waygeek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm ready for the no savings/less benefits side of things, really enjoyed the country when I visited though . Those are some good leads to start with, cheers. If anyone has other advice to impart I'm all ears. That 'no onward ticket' issue concerns me.
urbanadventurer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about doing the same thing next month (end of contract in china), but then I started researching temporary accommodations in Osaka... Yike$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If civil war doesn't break out in Thailand, then that might be my next stop (???)
Waygeek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing too wrong with a capsule Wink You can find stuff for Y3,500 pretty easy I'd say... make a holiday of it too Smile Though I understand how earning yuan and spending yen without a job lined up could be very daunting...
surendra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never stayed in capsule hotel, but honestly, I heard that they are literally what you see. I was told, as a 6'1'' man, I could be uncormfortable in one. Let alone my two bags I came with, as I am unaware of any locker situation.
My old co-worker came to Japan without the visa, applied for a job at the company, was given hotels provided for before receiving the ARC. So it doesn't hurt to start looking at jobs.

I'd recommend looking at gaijinpot.com or, if that gets edited by the mods, GP. Apply to any reasonable job that will give you the Letter of Employment. As you get your ARC upon landing in Japan (from certain airports), you as free as a bird job-wise provided you register your address(es). Although the company that initally sponsered you won't be too pleased.

Unlike Korea, ARC is not tied to jobs FYI.

With the ARC, you can rent your accomedation and THEN find the job.

Last thing, I recommend looking into share houses.
Waygeek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In people's experience, when ads on gaijinpot state 'must currently reside in Japan', does that mean they aren't willing to spring for visa costs as well as flights? I can get myself there, but would need an employer to sort my visa.
surendra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an administrative standpoint, it doesnt matte if youre present or not for the visa. The same procedure happens, just the save a few dollars from shipping documents to you.

The Currently In Japan Clause, as far as I can determine, implies they are asking you to currently have an ARC as extending an ARC is likely cheaper/less hassle than issuing one.

As I mentioned, for security sake, try to line up a job that will sure an ARC abroad and come. If that job is poop, you are free to change with zero problems.
Waygeek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they say that because not all of them are willing to pay for the ARC and visa? Hmm ok I'll start looking online before heading over.
rtm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waygeek wrote:
In people's experience, when ads on gaijinpot state 'must currently reside in Japan', does that mean they aren't willing to spring for visa costs as well as flights? I can get myself there, but would need an employer to sort my visa.

Most places won't pay for flights, and from what I understand, visa costs are not that much. I believe that the "must currently reside in Japan" line is generally because places either need 1) someone who can start right away, or 2) someone who doesn't need visa sponsorship, because the company doesn't want to go through the hassle of sponsoring someone. If it just says that you must currently reside in Japan (and not that you need to already have a visa), I think the former is more likely.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waygeek wrote:
So they say that because not all of them are willing to pay for the ARC and visa? Hmm ok I'll start looking online before heading over.
The cost to the employer is trivial. The real problem is the time, and the risk that a visa might be refused.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am thinking of coming to Japan. The "must currently reside in Japan" thing makes me think that the market in Japan, however, currently isn't that great.

Avoiding places like Tokyo, are there any areas that are in need of teachers that might be applying to?

I already speak some Japanese, so I don't mind being in an out-of-the-way area provided there are more jobs.

I'm currently in Taiwan, and the market doesn't seem that great here in Taipei. The job I got isn't giving me the promised hours, and not speaking Mandarin is a real hindrance.
Rooster.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolguy123 wrote:
I too am thinking of coming to Japan. The "must currently reside in Japan" thing makes me think that the market in Japan, however, currently isn't that great.

Avoiding places like Tokyo, are there any areas that are in need of teachers that might be applying to?

I already speak some Japanese, so I don't mind being in an out-of-the-way area provided there are more jobs.

I'm currently in Taiwan, and the market doesn't seem that great here in Taipei. The job I got isn't giving me the promised hours, and not speaking Mandarin is a real hindrance.

Nagoya seems to have a lot of listings. On the other hand, Osaka, and Kansai in general, don't seem to have a lot available for overseas.

The thing is, unless you're going to take a job somewhere and then move to another job once in Japan I wouldn't really look at wherever has the most job openings. Job openings at company A will not affect job openings at company B.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I wonder why that is. Perhaps people prefer the lifestyle in Kansai or prefer the weather or people there. I wouldn't mind going to Nagoya, even wouldn't mind going north to Hokkaido or Aomori as the weather is interesting.

Perhaps though the best jobs would be in Fukushima though lol, probably most people scared away from there.

Probably just keep sending applications everywhere for me.
Waygeek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's pretty much settled that I'll be over as early as the new year. Should I apply for some kind of working holiday/looking for work visa that would reduce an employers fear that my proper visa would be denied?

I'm thinking of getting an unlocked Nexus 5 from Google because I hear cellphones are expensive in Japan; based on the bands specced on the product page, will it work over there? https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_32GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_32gb
Do they sell them in physical stores over there without a contract? Do service providers have decent deals for a SIM and montly 3G? I mostly use 3G and almost never use the actual minutes or texts due to facebook/Kakao (S.K.s version of LINE).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: