Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bringing boyfriend to ME--options?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilsonthefarmer wrote:

As far as I know, Nikāḥ al-Mutʿah or "temporary marriage" is only allowed in Shia Islam. I guess UAE sharia law (Suni Islam) does not recognize this type of marriage, but they might allow another type of marriage known as 'Misyar' which is also allowed in the Magic Kingdom, but some Suni scholars are questionning its legality.

Mut'ah marriage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikah_mut%E2%80%98ah

Misyar marriage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikah_Misyar

Gasp... you mean our resident expert on everything Islam is wrong? As a matter of fact... yes. Young Sunni boys have taken it up around North Africa and the Levant, especially in Egypt.

Do a bit of research on Cairo and read about how common this has become over the last 20 years or so. Basically it is used by these nice Sunni boys to trick girls into "marriages" that their parents would never allow - that can be kept secret from said parents. Then when the boy gets bored... or the woman gets pregnant, he dumps her and invariably he has the only paper to prove the marriage that hasn't been properly registered by the local sheikh who handles it for a price... and the woman is out of luck.

Basically there are few things as hypocritical as these "temporary marriages" - whatever Arabic term one chooses to use.

VS
2buckets

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My marriage was a legitimate one, not a planned short term affair, (married at St. Andrews in AbuD.), it just did't work out and the Sharia divorce was a very simple procedure as described above.
Wilsonthefarmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:
My marriage was a legitimate one, not a planned short term affair, (married at St. Andrews in AbuD.), it just did't work out and the Sharia divorce was a very simple procedure as described above.

Just out of curiosity, why did you use Sharia law for your divorce knowing that your marriage was not an Islamic marriage? You could have used the civil divorce laws of your home country through your embassy in the UAE, and this I think is allowed according to the UAE laws?
2buckets

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Sharia court because it was quick and easy and totally legitimate.

(It was a very civilized process with counseling by 3 Sharia judges, I was very impressed by the process).

I preferred dealing with the Sharia court and not the US Consulate.

That's definitely a plus for Sharia law.

Have you been to a US consulate lately??

If so, you may understand my choice.

Since then I was married again, (at St Andrews, Abu D.) and there have been no complications. My non-US citizen wife had her green card a few weeks after the marriage.
"nuff said.
mikkenzi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there Smile
I moved to Kuwait in September and I have to tell you this... there is absolutely no way in which you can enjoy a stress-free life in the ME with your boyfriend if you are not married.
My boyfriend and I had a civil union back in France and we were living together for over 12 years before we came here. Still, this was considered illegal here so we had to get married. It was all really quick - we had a last-minute marriage and we left for Kuwait the next day.
Think of it in this way... If you are willing to make a commitment and bring your man with you on your Middle Eastern adventure, then maybe you two are really meant to spend your life together Smile
Good luck!
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either the OP is a troll or she is so ignorant of the Muslim world that she should not even think about going there.
revilo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Methinks troll Reply with quote

Where did she go?? However, I got a great idea for marrying a Ukrainian hottie and bringing her to KSA.....
She couldn't go anywhere without me (literally)!! Razz
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think that she was a troll. But when people find out that their preconceived notions are wrong... and that their opinions won't change the situation, they tend to not come back.

VS
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: bringing boyfriend to ME--options? Reply with quote

nyuszihus wrote:

However, I have a Hungarian boyfriend, who I would like to come live with me. Any information on which countries would be open to helping sponsor an (unmarried partner), or at the very least, which countries would tolerate my western values in terms of having him live with me. ?

Having a foreign boyfriend live with you in another foreign country is not a "western value". It's your own value - one that you made up to satisfy your whims. .

Your proposal is not only completely out of the question in any Mid East country, it would be out of the question in the good ol' USA and I would bet in your own Canada too.

Were you to return to the Canada to take a job, for example, could you just bring in your "boyfriend" willy nilly just like that? No, you couldn't.

He could come in as a "tourist", I suppose, but he'd eventually have to leave. And my guess is if the authorities found out at the border that he was coming "to live with you", they wouldn't let him in. If he lied to get in, then you and him would be putting yourselves in jeopardy of a criminal immigration act.

There's another aspect to this too. Even if you could bring the good ol' Magyar into, say , Bahrain to live with you......what exactly is he supposed to do all day? Sit around watching TV? He couldn't get a job because he's there illegally - he wouldn't know anybody and couldn't even speak with any of his own countrymen. Within a month, he'd hate the place and you along with it and it would be "Visontlatasra" to you and Bahrain. (To those who don't know Hungarian, Visontlatasra means "Sayonara").

This is one of the most ridiculous plans I've ever heard of in any context.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Western values" ? What are they ?
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

Promiscuity ranks high. Smile

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our ancestors had another word for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: