Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stopping for a CELTA in Poland on the way home

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakingTea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Stopping for a CELTA in Poland on the way home Reply with quote

I'm currently teaching in China, and my contract ends in the summer. I'm American, so I don't need a visa to enter Poland and can stay for 90 days. So, I was thinking it might be feasible to leave China, go directly to Poland (maybe Wroclaw?), stay for the course, and then go the rest of the way home. I'm considering this because it seems cheaper than getting the CELTA at home, and I'm open to teaching in Eastern Europe in the fall.

Can this really work as simply as I've imagined it? If so, how much money should I set aside for food and transportation during the course? I believe the room provided by the school is about $300 USD for 30 days.

Thanks for any advice!
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FreakingTea,

There's nothing wrong with your plan in theory. It's definitely cheaper to do CELTA in Poland than the US. Only a few centers in the US offer CELTA last time I checked, anyway.

Wroclaw is a beautiful city (my favorite Polish city) with lots see and do.

The best part about doing CELTA in a place you might want to teach is that you can scout out which schools you will want to work for.

Just don't expect to earn too much teaching in Poland as a newly qualified teacher.
FreakingTea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Master Shake, thanks for the advice.

I know it would be hard to get by in Poland as a newbie, so I'd consider working there once I have more experience and savings to get started. Russia sounds like a good place to go next year, but if the money's too tight I'll just spend another year in China.

Doing the CELTA in Poland sounds pretty great though, and I might like the place enough to want to come back. Smile

edit: The reason I'd rather not do the CELTA in Russia is that it costs way more overall to do the same thing, and I need a visa to enter the country, which is inconvenient for me way out in SW China.
Mike from MI

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished doing CELTA at Wroclaw. Prices are low if you stay away from the places that cater to tourists. You'll probably get a place within a 20-minute walk of the school, and you won't have time to do much partying or sightseeing.

Sample prices:
Loaf of bread: $1
Tram ticket: $1
kilo of apples: $1
100g of pretty good deli meat: $1
100g of food at buffet-style cafeteria: $1
Cheap meal at dept. store near school: $2
Sandwich from convenience store: $2
Half-liter of cheapest beer at pub: $2
Lunch at moderately-priced sit-down restaurant: $5
scottie1113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accurate prices.

I did my CELTA in Warsaw a little over six years ago. While it's true that there won't be a lot of time for partying, I managed to go out almost every day with a classmate for a couple of beers at the end of the school day before heading home for several hours of homework. On weekends I managed to find time to see some of the sights, do my weekly shopping and meet a friend who still lives there.

It's a serious course and requires a lot of work, but you don't have to live like a monk while you're doing it.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're into seeing a bit of the area and can afford it, it's usually a good plan to hang out for a week or two AFTER the course finishes. As noted, the courses are intensive and you won't have much time/energy for other stuff during.
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cheap meal at dept. store near school: $2

I'm no big spender but I really wouldn't eat from those fooderies at the Tesco or wherever. I'm pretty sure they hit your gut and immediately turn into bowel cancer. Not to mention the heart, arteries etc. Not even food.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: see a bit after Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd stick around and see a bit after too. Berlin's nearby and we've just done the Christmas markets. Best city in that region by a country mile and then some.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berlin is dreadfully hit or miss in my opinion - the Christmas Markets there are very poor in comparison to other parts of Germany, though you can't fault the way that Berlin is very decentralised. But it's rapidly losing its soul - since Tacheles closed down and Europeans finally discovered Berlin as a buy-to-let paradise, it really is suffering.

Dresden is well worth a trip though, and there are quite a few charming towns like Bautzen and Bad Muskau worth visiting. And if you're into wine, the Polish wine region offers a lot of potential. But Dresden is the best city in that part of the world - it simply has "it" that Berlin doesn't have.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Is there another Berlin...you know like there are two Frankfurts? The one we were in three days ago was awesome. In fact, the one we've had four city breaks in in the past four months was superb as always. PM me if you need any info. I can recommend some good places to stay and top eateries. There's also loads to see and do there and little all-night bars off the beaten track. It's also a good place to pick up cheap clothes.

I lived on the Elbe just south of Dresden. The rock cities round there are spectacular, especially just over the border in the CSR.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone want "cheap clothes"? I like ones that are stylish and durable.

I found Berlin to be only "okay", but not sure it will get more than one follow-up visit of a day or two.

Thanks for the advice on better places to check out Delph!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

By cheap clothes I mean Gant, Ralph Lauren, Morgan, Karen Millen and the like. They are much cheaper in Berlin than Poznan. In some cases 50% less.

I think they are pretty stylish and cheap is relative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: