Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distance MA TESOLs being refused in the Middle East.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sicklyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helenl wrote:
Unless someone can do the math

If your online degree coincides with your current employment - don't be surprised if questions are raised or you are not contacted. Saudi is not UAE.

my CV is clear that I did my Master's from a UK university concurrent with my work in Japan. As I said above, no one questioned it, and I agree with VS above that the DELTA doesn't look too bad on there either.

I'm not disagreeing with helenl that you might be asked questions a la Semedini's post, I'm just giving you one example to show that you can get a very well paid job out here with a distance Master's that is not questioned.
intrepid traveler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word has it that the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM) in D.C. calls universities to see what percentage of your degree was earned online.
revilo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Now with more desperation! Reply with quote

Yeah, but even if your degree was totally online, SACM will still accept it. Call it reaping what you have sown. They got so picky that they forgot Saudi students have a reputation, and it ain't good. Twisted Evil
ttxor1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Quote:
Word has it that the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM) in D.C. calls universities to see what percentage of your degree was earned online.

This is a requirement of the SACM's authentication of docs -- it has been posted elsewhere on this forum -- " 10) Letter in a sealed envelope from the university stating the method of instruction (online, distance or regular classroom). The letter must specify all online credits, if any, and whether the applicant studied on the main campus of the university." I got a doc from my uni which says, among other things, "...His studies took place in the School of Education which is in the Faculty of Social Sciences..." I asked my uni, for special instructions when ordering the doc online, to write "method of instruction - verification letter" over the seal of the envelope, along with a signature of the uni's registrar. Since my UK uni isn't verified by the US based Nat'l Student Clearinghouse, I saw this opportunity to check two of the SACM's boxes (Verification letter and method of instruction letter) with one doc.

My official application doc specifically stated that they don't accept online degrees. This might be one of those areas where one's experience may or may not be of help to others, if their CV is stronger...?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Saudi Arabia will follow suit in accepting job applicants' online university degrees...eventually.

UAE releases list of accredited foreign online universities
By The National Staff | February 16, 2014
Source: http://www.thenational.ae/uae/education/uae-releases-list-of-accredited-foreign-online-universities

The Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research yesterday released a list of 105 accredited foreign online universities recommended for UAE students. Of those universities, 46 are in the United Kingdom, 34 in the United States, 20 in Australia, and five in New Zealand.

Regulations governing the accreditation of distance and electronic learning define online education as the use of modern technologies to enable students to access study contents and interact with lecturers, according to Saif Rashid Al Mazrouei, the Assistant Under Secretary for Institutional and Support Services at the Ministry. He said a number of conditions must be met for students to study at those universities.

Most notably, an applicant must ensure that the distance education programme consists of interactive e-learning, and that the educational institution should be recognised by the Ministry and the government of the country that the institution is based in. The programme must also be an accredited course or equivalent in the country of study, and its length of study must not be less than the minimum duration of study for a degree of equivalent education taught by traditional means.

A full list of the accredited online universities can be found at http://www.mohesr.gov.ae/En/E-Services/Pages/Electronic_Recommended_Institute.aspx

(End of article)
vision

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting list but it is not very well populated.

In the end, a fully online degree is mostly worthless in the region unless you have already found an employer and are just doing it for professional development reasons.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vision wrote:
Interesting list but it is not very well populated.

That's because the list is intended for UAE students studying abroad and not for the general TESOL community. I only posted it because it shows a trend toward acceptance of degrees earned via distance learning.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepid traveler wrote:

They do and my university told them to take a flying hike and asked me why it was I was even considering working there if they do that kind of thing. My bachelor's university is a major research institution and none of their degrees are entirely online. My Master's university ranks in the top 100 universities in the USA and they still phoned. The SACM is bonkers, as if they have to protect the quality of their education in Saudi Arabia. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: