Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is the internet service in Santiago?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderingsalsero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: How is the internet service in Santiago? Reply with quote

I'm considering coming to Santiago to look for a job but I'm also interested in how good the internet service is in Santiago. I doubt that it's as good as here in S.Korea where I am now but is it at least OK for Skype and YouTube and moderately large downloads?

Thanks,
Art
SeHablaIngles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahahahahaha!

Are you for real?
Cat77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Art,
Yes, the internet connection in Santiago is great. No worries. Good luck to you! Chile is a wonderful place to live and work. Very Happy
sakakisins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chile is pretty developed in that sense. More so Santiago.. Internet is fine it all depends on what you're willing to pay (or your landlord or whatever). You can find many hotspots for free wifi in the city, at malls, cafe, etc.

If you're planning to come to Chile and don't really know what the country is like, I suggest you do some research.
Cat77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and this website is a GREAT way to begin your research. SUERTE! Smile
sakakisins

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.. I'm sure it sounded a little harsh but really i meant it as honest advice. People tend to think that if you know 1 country in South America (guerillas in Colombia, kidnappings in Argentina, etc), you know what all South American countries are like and that just couldn't be farther from the truth. So hopefully you'll find out a lot about Chile before coming. You should look up someblogs of English speakers living and teaching in Chile to get to know about their experiences.. Just a suggestion!
Dia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had great internet service, bt lots of problems. (garbage truck keeps swiping out my cables)

VTR has had EXCELLENT customer service with me. others hate them, of course, as no two customers have the same opinion. last year they sent 8 technicians in 1 week, each taking another stab at fixing my problem . sucks that they couldnt fix it the first time, bbut good customer service to send someone new every time to replace new parts and test it out. of course murphys law it always worked just fine until they left.

personally see no difference from internet here than in the u.s.
anna_82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's great, equivalent to the US. Also, there are tons of internet cafes in santiago where you can connect for free.
awphawk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned from Santiago and I would say internet is roughly equivalent to most cities in US. And yes there are wifi hotspots scattered throughout the city. Would definitely suggest a home broadband connection though there are always little cyber cafes in nearly every part of town.
derekchile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhhha CTM I think they would say in Chileno....Chile, especially Santiago is a modern city man...You are not going to be riding on the bus with chickens. You should come down here and see for yourself what south america has to offer.....
jammex88

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. I guess if one has never been to South America their head is full of stereotypes and chicken buses as one person mentioned. Santiago is like any major city in the US. Very modern in every sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: