Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the job market like at present?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torentosan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: This is true Reply with quote

phdinfunk wrote:
Maybe there are two Taiwans. I hear about this, but none of my pretty large group of foreigner friends who have all been around for 4+ years are in this boat.

I'm thinking that a lot of newcomers get the shaft. Seldom does it seem, do most foreigners know what they actually CAN do here. New guys especially, only ever know what's on forums and I think it's reasonable to say forums are often highly HIGHLY skewed... it's a pretty severe sampling bias of people who post here.

I sometimes long on after one of my beautiful bike rides during my Tuesday off (I work four days a week for 60K in the countryside) and try to balance the view a bit.

Mostly, I'd say go outside Taipei. Taipei ren seem pretty jaded about foreigners by now anyways, and the real Taiwanese, the folks who will bend over backwards to help a stranger, don't seem as easy to find there. Me and my girlfriend call Taipei JiCheGueiGuo (Motorcycle Ghost Country) which means it's a separate country and the people there are frigging uptight!

But just remember, most of the very happy foreigners I know living here for many years NEVER post on ANY of the forums like this or forumosa.... EVER.... so, you're dealing with a huge sampling bias.

Anyways, carry on everyone. I'll come back again in six months or a year, probably.

This is true...

I believe that Dave should change the forum so that everyone has to publicly state their age, sex, nationality, degree, number of times abroad, length of time abroad, number of places visited, average time at each position....etc. THEN I think we would all see much more clearly why the things that are said....are said.
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: This is true Reply with quote

torentosan wrote:
phdinfunk wrote:
Maybe there are two Taiwans. I hear about this, but none of my pretty large group of foreigner friends who have all been around for 4+ years are in this boat.

I'm thinking that a lot of newcomers get the shaft. Seldom does it seem, do most foreigners know what they actually CAN do here. New guys especially, only ever know what's on forums and I think it's reasonable to say forums are often highly HIGHLY skewed... it's a pretty severe sampling bias of people who post here.

I sometimes long on after one of my beautiful bike rides during my Tuesday off (I work four days a week for 60K in the countryside) and try to balance the view a bit.

Mostly, I'd say go outside Taipei. Taipei ren seem pretty jaded about foreigners by now anyways, and the real Taiwanese, the folks who will bend over backwards to help a stranger, don't seem as easy to find there. Me and my girlfriend call Taipei JiCheGueiGuo (Motorcycle Ghost Country) which means it's a separate country and the people there are frigging uptight!

But just remember, most of the very happy foreigners I know living here for many years NEVER post on ANY of the forums like this or forumosa.... EVER.... so, you're dealing with a huge sampling bias.

Anyways, carry on everyone. I'll come back again in six months or a year, probably.

This is true...

I believe that Dave should change the forum so that everyone has to publicly state their age, sex, nationality, degree, number of times abroad, length of time abroad, number of places visited, average time at each position....etc. THEN I think we would all see much more clearly why the things that are said....are said.

I came to this forum before moving to Taiwan and I found the information here very helpful. I have lived in Taiwan for two years now and have posted multiple updates about my experiences as a teacher. I have tried to provide balanced information that I think would be helpful to others who might be considering a move to Taiwan. Search for my posts and feel free to PM me with other questions you may have. I am happy to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: