Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calling a US 1-800 number

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demonietto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Calling a US 1-800 number Reply with quote

Can anyone help me with the dialing for a 1-800 number in the US? A few months ago I stumbled upon a prefix that let me reach a toll free number, but I don't remember what it is. The ONLY way to 'securely' reach my bank is through their 1-800 number, which I can't seem to dial correctly, and their international VN number just doesn't work. Very frustrating. I have Mobi if it makes a difference. Thanks!
TRH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Mobi. I just dial 001-800-xxxx. You do need the two zeroes to correctly enter the country code for the US (and Canada I believe.) You still have VND coming out of the Mobi card though. I think you may be referring to a way around that but I am not aware of it. Perhaps someone is.

I really recommend the 1718 card. It is not a SIM. You add minutes to your existing SIM the same way as you add your Mobi minutes. I don't know the rates but I do know that for calls to the US it is a fraction of the regular card. Even a half hour call is affordable. A nice thing is that the card has instructions in English and the recording to hear your balance is bilingual as well. You would dial 1718-001-800-xxxx.
Demonietto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I figured out the 001 thing. I was trying to dial it with 1717 Smile. Is the 1717 card you're talking about different from the mobi scratchers, but usable on my phone? I'll have to find one. Also, have you registered your sim? I read it changes your expiration to a year instead of 3 months, but haven't tried it yet. I think you take your passport to a store.
TRH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1718 card is a scratch card, just like the Mobi cards you use to add time. I think 1718 is a Viettel product so you probably will find it any place that sells Viettel cards. You can have both 1718 and Mobi minutes on the same SIM. If you don't add the 1718 numbers first, your call goes to the Mobi minutes (or whatever your SIM is) by default. I don't think there is much advantage to 1718 for local calls but the difference for long distance is big.

I didn't know you could register your SIM but it sounds like a good idea if you plan to leave the country for a while and want the same number when you return. Let us know how it works out. I know that if you don't use a number you can loose it because that happened to the SIM that I had in my iPad. Because I had not used it for a while, when I wanted to add money, I couldn't without buying a new SIM card.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't called the US, but when I want to call the equivalent thing in the UK, I just use Skype to make a call. It's not always perfect, but then neither is the Vietnamese phone network (I've used Skype to phone people in the country because I couldn't hear them on the phone network).
legionlabs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both Skype and scratch cards, Skype worked much better, it was free, and dialing in the numbers was almost infinitely easier.

The only issue I had with non-free Skype calls, was sometimes buying credit with paypal wouldn't work from a vietnamese IP address (which can be resolved). Other times it worked just fine. I use it for all my long distance calls with great success.

Sean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: