Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCMC or Hanoi?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
montblanc20

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vabeckele wrote:

Did you sort out being the middle man problem?

You should think about making a picture book type of thing for children, you have that style about your writing: simple but clear.

I didn't solve it yet. I think both my school and the recruiter are trying to pay me not so much. Maybe I need to say that I can make xx in Hanoi and try to get them to pay me more. Or maybe their plan isn't to hire me, but to just keep me for three months and then find a new person when I'm at the end of my visa.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saigon to live. Hanoi for a holiday. I thought the traffic in Hanoi was worse though, because the roads are so much narrower.
Roth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: HCMC or Hanoi? Reply with quote

just noel wrote:
Mojoski wrote:
A little help, please, those of you who have been to Vietnam. If you could choose to live in one of the two cities, which one, and why? Thanks!

Come to both cities for at least 7 days in each one and suss things out and see how you feel.

I think this is the best way.

Still a gamble. I didn't like HCMC the first days that I was here. But I've been here for two months now and the place has really grown on me. The biggest negative is the lack of green and open space. What I like most is the general atmosphere and the fact that it offers so many things to do in terms of eating, nightlife,..
dmjkvn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I also reckon to try both , cheap tickets are available from North to South, so try them both,
But a lot of Viets tell me that they've moved from the North because the atmosphere is more stressful in North and people not so friendly.

I like living here in Saigon , been here 5 years. And English centers are popping up everywhere.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmjkvn wrote:
Yea, I also reckon to try both , cheap tickets are available from North to South, so try them both.

Sure, why not? If you are going to live in Vietnam, you should definitely see both Saigon and Hanoi. However, there is a big difference between visiting a place and living there. I visited both cities before relocating to Vietnam and I decided Hanoi was much more to my taste. As a tourist, Hanoi was/is much more interesting and there is so much more to see. Saigon seemed boring and ugly in comparison. However, after living in Hanoi for about a year, I couldn't wait to get out of there! I've been living in Saigon ever since and, aside from some of the everyday annoyances, on the whole, I like it.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First impressions are vital. In fact, I would even contend that they offer a glimpse of how you're going to fare there. My first impressions of Hanoi were that it was a third world dump, and I left after 5 months even though I really liked my job. T'is always best to see a city first and get a feel for it, if possible, because had I done so, you couldn't have paid me enough to live in Hanoi.
mk87

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its fair to say that a lot more of the people who leave VN with a bad feeling seem to leave from Ha Noi. I can maybe understand why, but when I went there it was glaringly obvious to me that its a great city to visit, but I would never want to live there. Unless I had a serious amount of money.
cb400

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk87 wrote:
I think its fair to say that a lot more of the people who leave VN with a bad feeling seem to leave from Ha Noi. I can maybe understand why, but when I went there it was glaringly obvious to me that its a great city to visit, but I would never want to live there. Unless I had a serious amount of money.

Yup. 6 years in Hanoi made me a miserable *beep*. Even though the money was stupid good at times... not worth it after a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: