Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thailand - is it feasible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allgetabong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Thailand - is it feasible? Reply with quote

Hey, I've been looking through a few faq's and alot of it contradicts itself depending where I've read it, so it's time to ask you guys personally.

Long story short, early 20's, tired of America, always loved SE Asia, undergraduate with no degree, no prior experience, so I've heard Thailand's my best bet. I've read all about the hassles of working illegally (border hops etc), and I have no shame in working illegally as long as it isn't highly enforced by the Ministry of Edu. I've read the maximum amount of money someone in my position can make is roughly 20-25,000 baht a month. Some have told me that its quite easy to live on that, considering you dont get go whoring around every weekend and trying to afford too many luxuries. Some have told me that the lowest you can live on is about 30,000 a month, and that they're still close to starving when payday comes around. I know it all depends on whether you talk to party-animals, or total conservatives. I'm somewhere in between the 2, such as maybe a 6 pack of chang a night, some Thai street food, a tv, an A/C, and few other minor things here and there. Nothing fancy, pretty moderate actually. I mean I'm 22 years old, give me a one room important and I'm satisfied, get the picture?

So, all-in-all, what are my chances of landing a job if I arrive in maybe 4-6 months? Consider the fact that I'll be calling up every possible school in the local newspapers. I'd also basically just pay a tuk-tuk driver to take me to as many schools as he knows within the area, and I'd simply try to pop in for interviews with my resume and respectable attitude (nicely dressed, of course).

Also, if anyone knows if any schools are willing to assist on obtaining a TEFL or CESOL through some sort of earn-while-you-learn kind of deal, that'd be interesting, seeing how TEFL and CESOL courses in the USA cost an arm and a leg. I would do the cheap $300.00 online course, but I don't think it'd help me with any confidence or ideas in an actual classroom. What do you veterans think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kenkannif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Well mate! Reply with quote

If you're working in BKK you should be earning 30K plus (I know a lot of newbies who are walking into 35-40K jobs at the moment).

Earn while you learn, usally means they use and you lose! Think about a part-time course possibly that would allow you to study and find your own job, rather than give up a high % of your wage to earn while you learn.

Try to come ready for November or possible January, or wait and save some extra money and come over (or finish your studying/course whatever) around May ready to start work end of May/June!

There is no such thing as a CESOL!

Good luck mate!
champagne charlie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thailand - is it feasible? Reply with quote

allgetabong wrote:
I'd also basically just pay a tuk-tuk driver to take me to as many schools as he knows within the area, and I'd simply try to pop in for interviews with my resume and respectable attitude (nicely dressed, of course).

No-no-no-no-no-no! Stay away from tuk-tuks unless you enjoy being ripped off. Those jokers will take you to jewelry and silk shops for sure, and you'll arrive at your interview covered in soot. Hitting the bricks is a great idea, but you'll want a better mode of transportation.

Best of luck, but if you consider $1500 bucks (give or take the average price for a cert course) to be an "arm and a leg" you'd best work a few extra months back home to save up some more cash. Plus the cert will help you be a better teacher and is a defacto minimum requirement for all but the crappiest of jobs. You're really not saving anything trying to avoid this cost in the long run.
Go get 'em tiger!
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola!

I live in China, and have only visited Thailand once. With that history out of the way, I would instruct you to go ahead and come, get out of the USA, and see the world!

I wish I knew about this industry when I was your age (I am now a youthful 37). I would suggest finishing college or enter a program like TESOL, TEFL, CELTA or another certification program. If Thailand is a hassle, try Cambodia, or China. I love China and it is a blast here usually!

The USA is boring! Get out now!

Senor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: