Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Middle East College (Oman)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mateacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Middle East College (Oman) Reply with quote

Does anyone know what this place is like? is it like a SQU? or more like a mazoon?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of it... and I can't find that it has been mentioned here before.

I googled them and the Wikipedia entry is rather odd. It starts out with "Middle East College, is arguably one of Oman’s best private university colleges." directed towards a footnote of a list of Oman colleges and universities that doesn't even include it... no less argue that it is one of the best. Laughing

On their website, I couldn't find a link to faculty, and the only link that listed administration seems to be all from the sub-continent with an Omani assistant listed.

So... is it like SQU? I'd say not at all. SQU is the national university and you are a government employee with all the benefits that entails. This is a private college... with all the question marks that entails. They have no track record here and I would certainly want to be able to communicate with one of two of their past and/or present teachers before I'd consider a job there.

VS
mateacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think they pay 70K per year with 4.5 months off and 12 contact hours per week?
do they have a research budget?
do they have a compound I can use with women wearing bikinis in swimming pools? LOL Laughing
mateacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle East College, affiliated to Coventry University, UK offers career oriented academic degree programmes in the fields of Engineering, Business and Technology. MEC is seeking qualified and experienced candidates for the following positions:

This is really from their website. Are they really affiliated to/with Coventry University?
mateacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they are I just checked, maybe they aren't that bad after all. Does anyone have any news good or bad.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all affiliated with some obscure (to most of us) colleges or universities in the UK or the US or Oz or wherever. It is basically pretty meaningless and usually means little more than the Omani or Indian director/dean got his PhD or MA there and they are theoretically helping out. It doesn't mean that this foreign university actually enforces the same standards as the institution back home. Smoke and mirrors...

Websites are normally mostly fluff to attract paying students... Cool

Quote:
do you think they pay 70K per year with 4.5 months off and 12 contact hours per week?
do they have a research budget?
do they have a compound I can use with women wearing bikinis in swimming pools? LOL

Laughing Laughing

The real question is whether they even hire native speaker Westerners. These private universities with strong ties to the subcontinent usually get very few as they don't pay enough and there is an endless supply of good Indian English teachers just across the water. Having heard nothing here about them also suggests that detail.

VS
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put in the same box as Mazoon - have a look here
http://www.mecit.edu.om/AboutUs/Whoswho.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: