Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transferring Work Permits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Threequalseven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Transferring Work Permits Reply with quote

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I tried looking at recent posts and couldn't find an answer.

I'm planning to move to HCMC soon to find work. If I get a work permit through my employer, what happens if I want to change jobs? Should I bring a whole stack of notarized, authenticated copies of my degree and background check just in case, or is there a way to transfer your work permit to your next employer? Thanks!
TRH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is second hand and not based on experience but my lawyer tells me that transferring a work permit is easier than getting the first one because the Dept of Labor simply (is anything here simple) references the documents from the old permit. There may be a filing fee and third party legal costs but they will be less than the first time.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this very situation right now, heard the same as above. Report more as details develop.
8balldeluxe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be careful with this one. Some schools will tell you that you must get a whole new one, because they say your documents from your home country will have to be remade. I had this happen to me when applying at AHS, when I showed them my work permit. I also showed the staff my photocopies of the original documents, but staff at AHS kept looking closely at them and telling me they would need to be re-done, and various other stories.
I disagreed with this but they denied and said they knew what the deal was.
I am not sure if the situation has changed and been made more teacher-friendly where one could go in and do it with little trouble. If it is still as before then a school can say such things and prevent you from getting a new one until you pay their person(s) with whom they work to get them, or unless your work at a lower rate to satisfy their whims.
8balldeluxe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be careful with this one. Some schools will tell you that you must get a whole new one, because they say your documents from your home country will have to be remade. I had this happen to me when applying at AHS, when I showed them my work permit. I also showed the staff my photocopies of the original documents, but staff at AHS kept looking closely at them and telling me they would need to be re-done, and various other stories.
I disagreed with this but they denied and said they knew what the deal was.
I am not sure if the situation has changed and been made more teacher-friendly where one could go in and do it with little trouble. If it is still as before then a school can say such things and prevent you from getting a new one until you pay their person(s) with whom they work to get them, or unless your work at a lower rate to satisfy their whims.
Demonietto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another work permit question:
I currently work for a large language center that provided me with a legitimate work permit. I also work for a different company part-time that sends me to public schools during the week (they also run a language center). I do NOT have a work permit with them as I didn't feel like paying more filing fees. Now the public school that they send me to wants my work permit # to report to the government. Should I give them the number of the permit for the other company? Can I jeopardize my WP situation? I have also renewed my passport since receiving the WP, so the PP# doesn't match. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the back of your work permit and you'll see.
TRH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonietto wrote:
Now the public school that they send me to wants my work permit # to report to the government.
It seems to me that public school employment may be the enforcement lever for the authorities. I know my employer had all teachers placed in public schools apply for permits last September (some are still waiting for theirs) while they left it as optional for those who only work at the center. It's unlikely that bureaucrats will want to be marching into every little mill school and asking to see permits (real work) but they have a list of names for the public schools and can easily ask for numbers.
Demonietto wrote:
Should I give them the number of the permit for the other company? Can I jeopardize my WP situation?
Tigerstyleone wrote:
Look on the back of your work permit and you'll see.
Tiger man is cryptic as usual but here's what I see:
1-Present this work permit to authorities when requested.
2-Any modification, addition or amendment to the work permit is prohibited.
3-The utilization of this permit is restricted to the bearer.
4-(item re losses)
5-(item re expiration)

If you look at your permit front and back it seems pretty clear that it is for one employee and one employer only. If the second school clearly tells you they want the number so that they can reference it to get another permit for you then you may be OK but I would beware. Better to check with a real lawyer rather than "jailhouse lawyers" like those of us here.
Demonietto wrote:
I have also renewed my passport since receiving the WP, so the PP# doesn't match. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I changed my passport too and had to submit copies of both in a few cases, although not as part of the WP process. Authorities seem to take this in stride as it is just more photocopies for you to pay them to certify. I don't know which is your country, but the US lets you keep your old passport with a hole punched in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: