Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distance Learning MA in TESOL Degrees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quoc_viet03

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Distance Learning MA in TESOL Degrees Reply with quote

What's everyone's take on getting an MA in TESOL via Distance Learning (i.e. online)? Do employers in Asia recognize an MA in TESOL if it's obtained in this manner? How long does it usually last? Any residency required? Any respectable institutions that offer it? Pricing range? Thanks!
kaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: MA TESOL by distance learning Reply with quote

Hi

Don't know how much Asian employers are into Masters - sorry. What I can tell you though is that there are several very good UK Universities offering very good MA courses. I know several people doing theirs with Leicester and have researched a few courses myself. From what I can remember - try these - University of London, Sussex University, Aston, um...well that'll do for now. They seem to take 18months+ to complete and average price seems to be aroung 5000 pounds. The requirements vary but most require a BA and some teaching experience.

Hope this has been of some use.

K
guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macquarie uni Aus. M. applied linguistics... 10 subjects about $10,000 AUD all done by correspondence- no residency required. Assignments can be submited via email. world recognized degree. i recommend it!
sarina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: M.A. Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by sarina on Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently doing mine through the university of Surrey. Residency, pricing, time it takes varies with program. Mine is Residencey-none, Pricing- about 6000 British pounds plus materials, and takes 27 months.

The government of Taiwan officially doesn't recognize distance learning degrees. I'm not aware of any other country/region in East Asia having such a restriction. Then agian, the government of Taiwan apparently won't let me sponsor a spouse or children if I wanted to come with a family. Come to think of it, getting a work visa from the gonvernment of Taiwan, as far as I can tell, involves a quasi-legal song and dance routine the likes of which I have not seen in other areas. In fact, and maybe this has come from living in the PRC so long, but the government of Taiwan can kiss my family-loving, law-abiding, distance learning studying a... .

Um, sorry about that. Where was I?

Oh yes.

There are various programmes available out there. Time, cost, residence requirements, focus, and quality all vary. Do some searching around on the internet. It's been reported on this board that people with distance MAs from Burmingham have gotten work at Japanese universities. It would vary according to the institution, I'm sure, but I've bet my future (and 6000 quid) on the fact that distance learning degree holders can get jobs in East Asia (outside of Taiwan. Evil or Very Mad)
daily chai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Good news--just want to say that Taiwan DOES recognize distance degrees earned at accrediated schools abroad. It's a national embarassment, but at this time no school has been given the green light to offer an entire degree program online. So don't go to a degree mill school that is not regionally or internationally accredited. That info will be on each uni's web site somewhere. Search for it. Other than that, you will not have a problem. I'm in Taiwan and I teach online here at university, my MS Ed is from an accredited online program.
Anda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

A Masters in Business,Education,Tourism I think will get you more places than an straight masters in English.
dez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Um Reply with quote

Anda wrote:
A Masters in Business,Education,Tourism I think will get you more places than an straight masters in English.
Are you ever going to post on the Korean board again Anda?
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daily chai wrote:
Cool Good news--just want to say that Taiwan DOES recognize distance degrees earned at accrediated schools abroad.

Unfortunately, this is not true.

The Ministry of Higher Education controls all hiring of full-time university teachers in Taiwan and does not recognize M.A. degrees obtained through distance study.

Part time positions are available but not full-time positions with distance education M.A. degrees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: