Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the GOOD schools and contracts? Anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Where are the GOOD schools and contracts? Anyone? Reply with quote

Hi all - I'm Canadian, BA English, CELTA, less than a year's post-CELTA experience but many years tutoring academic English here in Vancouver, with excellent references and a desire to teach long-term.

I've got my heart set on gaining experience and teaching in Izmir, Antalya or Istanbul over the next few years but I am getting really discouraged. The only offers I've received have been draconian: less than 2000 TL with no housing, split shifts and only one day off a week. In other words, I've not received an offer that will allow me the time or money to explore marvellous Turkey on my well-deserved weekends (I am extremely hard-working and don't really mind long hours as long as I have time off - eventually!). The schools making these offers have also all appeared on Dave's or other sites not necessarily blacklisted but with nobody reporting anything good either, unless the reporters are revealed by other posters as "plants" for the school.

My plan is to come to Turkey and apply on my own instead. I am actually packed with all my papers in order but panic is setting in. I have heard I will likely find work. But where to look? Could somebody or everybody send me names of schools they have personally worked for or know about that they think are good? My expectations to my mind at least are modest - consolidated hours, decent rate of pay (1900 TL with housing or over 2200 without), two days off a week, paid on time, middle/high school or university students or adults.

I would really really welcome advice!
wander&teach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your qualifications are fine. With boots on the ground your chances of finding a job within your wish list are good. Here in Turkey timing is everything and planning ahead, (even for teachers) is typically an afterthought so you will find a lot of interest if you knock on doors especially as the beginning of the school year approaches. However that means you have already paid for your flight and have also invested in lodging. Required 90 day tourist visa is hassle free for you and is available at the airport for $20U.S.

Just be certain to tread lightly and do your research before committing. Things here are not always what they appear to be, which will be especially true if you have only lived and taught in North America and are female. Contracts are often ignored, changed, misinterpreted, reinterpreted etc. and you will find that at the end of the day you will have no recourse as a foreigner. DO NOT consider any job that refuses to provide a contract, does not have some English speaking staff to assist in the process , will not provide info. on your accommodations (including pics), encourages you (either directly or indirectly) to work illegally, refuses to provide at least some flight benefits, or is hesitant to give you clear answers in writing. Be hesitant of a potential employer that has no web info. to be found. Private schools here open and close frequently although new schools can be a good opportunity.

In a nut shell, working in Turkey has become a bit like a crap shoot, with the exception of the major universities and established private schools who tend to have standard protocols and wage tiers. The three locations you have chosen are prime real estate for teachers and the schools know it. They will use this as leverage to offer lower wages and substandard housing and this practice is now wide spread. Outside of the most desirable areas your opportunities (and wages) will increase dramatically so you may want to keep an open mind and consider a broader geographical area to work in. Not as glamorous but Turkey has many things to offer across the country.
Barbrey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: good schools Reply with quote

What a thoughtful reply. Thank you. I am going to take my chances over there and take your advice. What are some of the other good cities to teach in?
wander&teach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't give any specific cities but pull up a map, look at the larger towns, cities, and do a little research on current opportunities in them or better yet contact the schools directly; Konya, Antalya, Gaziantep for example. You will probably want to stay away from the very far eastern regions and most of the cities of less than a million unless you are a loner or there is a large ex-pat community such as the Fethiye area. It all depends on what you are looking for, money, social scene or something in between but finding them all in one place is nearly impossible. Remember to do the math on each location as costs can vary wildly here. TL is currently averaging 2 to 1 US but living costs in the smaller towns and cities can be considerably less for you.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't really matter where you work, just a job first, any job, boots on the ground and all that,THEN and only THEN you can have a really good look and make plans for your next academic year!
smithville

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: contracts Reply with quote

The contract at one school I looked at was a nightmare - I couldn't turn without being penalized and owing them wages. I've never worked in Turkey, but read the contracts
sixthchild

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good schools/contracts are usually found by those people who write a lot of e-mails and then follow them up with a personal visit, you learn so much about an institution with this technique! Try it!
Barbrey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Anyone in Fethiye? Reply with quote

Hi and thank you to everyone - especially wanderandteach - who gave their views on this topic! I ended up not arriving in Turkey until December and have spent the last few weeks exploring cities to decide where I would particularly like to live for a year or more. Fethiye seems perfect for me (huge cities lost their charm for me once I passed the 35 year old age) and I'm going to try here first. I've just sent out a number of emails to the language schools, which I will follow up with as sixthchild suggests. There are a few private schools here as well but I'm having trouble getting their email addresses. Anyway, I would love to get the scoop on the teaching environment in Fethiye, good schools, etc., as well as if anyone is already here and would like to meet up for a chat. Also, what is the situation with public schools here? Can non-Turks apply to teach in them and if so are they good to work for?

Merry Christmas to all of you who celebrate it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: