Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start up Costs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surendra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Start up Costs? Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone could shed some light regarding start up costs when working in Thailand. Are there Realtor fees when securing apartments?
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Start up Costs? Reply with quote

surendra wrote:
I was wondering if someone could shed some light regarding start up costs when working in Thailand. Are there Realtor fees when securing apartments?

I don't know for certain as I haven't left yet, but I plan on having around $2500 - $3000 when I leave. This is after paying airfare and for the CELTA course, so all I'll have to pay is lodging/food/transport until I get established.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Start up Costs? Reply with quote

surendra wrote:

No fees, possibly a 6 month rental agreement or some kind of damage deposit or both. In some cases you just pay monthly rent and a small deposit. You need to be careful and not be stuck at a specific locality for a long period of time unless it's centrally located. I wouldn't shell out 6 months rent for a apartment that is across the street from your school, if it's out in the boonies. You might not make it on your first teaching job. It's hard to say really.

Another thing check your apartment's plumbing. If water builds up on the floor of your bathroom quickly and stays there, then you don't want the apartment. This is a notorious problem in Thailand, bad plumbing. Another thing make sure the apartment is not noisy with generators, compressors, partying every night etc. How you can do this, I don't know for sure. Your apartment can be noisy as hell and the tenants you talk will say there isn't a problem with the noise.
surendra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up plumpy nut.

The plumbing I would check but the generators is something new to me.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I would not dish out any starting costs upon arriving here in Thailand. Best thing to do is stay on Kaosan Road (Banglampoo Area) at one of the cheap guest houses...there are plenty around there...and pay daily. You can find a room at Peachy's Guest house for Baht 200/Night with a private shower.etc. Once you find a job than look around for a place near where you work. Thai apartments are generally small, noisy and crowded with people. Bring at least USD2,000 with you upon arrival here in Thailand and you should be okay. Good luck in your search! Smile
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: do thai employers not provide accomodation? Reply with quote

This is all very unsettling, I am of the mindset that schools have a responsibility to house FT's as we have enough expenses to worry about.
TeachtheFuture

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is uncommon for school outside of International Schools to provide accommodation for their teachers. To reiterate what the other poster said it is essential that you find a job first and then permanent accommodation after. Once you have a job the other foreign teachers at your school should be able to help you out. You do not want to be stuck with a 6 month lease and find out you need to leave for school at 4:30am in order to get to school on time because of traffic.

Here is a good guide to help you out:
http://www.ajarn.com/help-and-guides/articles/the-ajarn.com-guide-to-renting-an-apartment/
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeachtheFuture wrote:
It is uncommon for school outside of International Schools to provide accommodation for their teachers. To reiterate what the other poster said it is essential that you find a job first and then permanent accommodation after. Once you have a job the other foreign teachers at your school should be able to help you out. You do not want to be stuck with a 6 month lease and find out you need to leave for school at 4:30am in order to get to school on time because of traffic.

Yeah but on the other hand a new teacher should not assume that he is going to stay at his new job on a long term basis. It's common for schools to fire teachers as early as two weeks into their teaching. If you have an apartment right across the street from your school 10 miles outside of central Bangkok and get fired, what are you going to do?

For a full year I stayed at Kao San in central Bangkok and transported to Phet Kassem Soi 98, or whatever that street is. I had to get up at 5:00 every morning, but it's better than losing money by getting stuck paying 6months for an apartment upfront, then finding out you don't need it. Prior to my job on Phet Kassem, I was teaching in Lopburi and unceremoniously fired from a particularly bad job after working 3 months. Fortunately I was housed for free in an apartment that was little better than a warehouse. If I had rented out another apartment I would have been screwed.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

My advice to any EFL newbie in Bangkok is stay on Kaosan Road or the Soi Ngam Duphli area in Yannawa until you have some job security and savings. It is very difficult not knowing how long you will have your job for...the Thais have a tendency to hire and fire at whim. Make sure you make as many contacts as possible once in Bangkok...that is...for jobs! You may need them in the event you lose your job. Good luck!
chrisms86

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the Khao San Rd advice. First, Khao San Rd is a shithole and is not near the Skytrain which you'll want to be next to if you're new in town. This will give you easy access to large parts of the city.

My advice is to find a place along the Skytrain (you can read about the various neighborhoods and pick one) and ask a few hotels about their monthly rate. You can probably find a decent room w/private bath and wifi for 10,000 baht/month. That works out to about 333 baht per night. For a hotel room that probably lists for 800 per night. I personally think the Siam Square area is the most comfortable for newbies, so I would stay near there. Hotels are a little sparser though. But it is also the intersection for the Skytrain so there is a lot of convenience in this location, both in terms of comfort and transportation.

Worst case scenario you're stuck with a bad commute for a couple of weeks if the job you find is far away. Then you just move to a new room.

Why anyone would recommend you stay at some whorehouse on Khao San Rd (yes, 200 baht rooms are for prostitutes) paying 200 baht daily.. I don't know.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Start up Costs? Reply with quote

surendra wrote:
Are there Realtor fees when securing apartments?

I'm sure you could meet a Street Tout who might advertise himself as a Realtor when you first come to Thailand, but no, there are no Realtor fees in Thailand. Certainly not for the kind of apartments you would be thinking of.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisms86 wrote:
I disagree with the Khao San Rd advice. First, Khao San Rd is a shithole and is not near the Skytrain which you'll want to be next to if you're new in town. This will give you easy access to large parts of the city.
Worst case scenario you're stuck with a bad commute for a couple of weeks if the job you find is far away. Then you just move to a new room.

Why anyone would recommend you stay at some whorehouse on Khao San Rd (yes, 200 baht rooms are for prostitutes) paying 200 baht daily.. I don't know.

****holes yes, but not whorehouses. The whores are located around the Skytrain, downtown area with paying sex tourists and not in Khao San. Whores can't make very much money in the Banglamphoo region which is where Khao San Rd. is. The people staying in Khao San are budget backpackers. Also the Skytrain is located in the downtown regions but not completely centrally located especially in terms of buses. Khao San and Sanam Luang is much more centrally located in terms of bus transportation. Also there are some Guest Houses which have clean rooms even though the environs are deplorable. I know this, I have spent lots of time traveling in Bangkok.

If you get a job in the boonies in Bangkok, which is very very common, and get an apartment and get fired, a commute to a school in the boonies in another direction is not going to be tenable. Also a lot of apartments will get down deposits of renters, so you can't necessarily just leave within a couple of weeks.
chrisms86

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plumpy I'm proposing negotiating a monthly rate at a hotel. So if it really came down to it you could call the week rent or whatever you don't end up using as a sunk cost, if your job is really out of the way. But the value you get in paying by the month vs. by the day is huge and would likely offset anything lost.

However given the number of BTS (skytrain) stations you could access from Siam Square alone, I have a hard time believing you couldn't find a job along the BTS. A newbie to Bangkok shouldn't be trying to find his way around on buses from Khao San

I can recommend the Fifth Residence at 10k/month, it is a bit out of the way but is a 40baht tuk tuk to Siam Square and the staff speaks English and can advise on buses going elsewhere.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Accomodation isn't a problem in BKK...but you might find that cost is especially around the BTS/Skytrain Sukhumvit areas. These are tourist areas at tourist prices....my suggestion is the Pratunam area which is very close to the BTS Phayathai Station....you can find a place there around Baht 6,000/Monthly or Baht 350/daily. This area also has several English language institutes around...especially in the Makkasan and Victory Monument areas. It is also close to Siam Square area where you will find a lot of students who want to study English. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: