Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions re: Pay, Qualifications, and Jobs in Paris

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KirstyinParis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Questions re: Pay, Qualifications, and Jobs in Paris Reply with quote

Hi all!

I'm a Canadian with a British passport and I recently moved to Paris. I've started looking into teaching English as a possible job here, but I have some questions and I would greatly appreciate any advice you might have for me.

I'm 37 and have 10 years of experience as a policy advisor in the field of education in my home country, including about 5 years of experience facilitating courses on how the government works to groups of 30 to 40 policy analysts. I am not a trained teacher; that was just my policy field.

Pay
I've seen info on-line indicating that the average pay for a new English teacher could be around 1,400 to 1,700 euros / month. Is that accurate? Is there any way my work experience could yield me greater pay from the outset?

Qualifications
What TEFL course would be the most beneficial?

Job Location & Type
Are there any particularly good / bad language schools in the city? Is there a reason why Berlitz should be avoided?
Does anyone know if there are jobs out there to teach English to policy advisors or psychologists?

Thanks very much!

Kirsty
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most places will want a CELTA/Trinity Tesol or equivalent with 100-120 hours observed teaching practice. Don't be tempted by cheaper options or online alternatives as these may not be recognised especially if you want to teach in the higher paid countries later.

The salary range you quote is about right.
KirstyinParis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. Any other advice out there?
riverboat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think your experience would particularly merit higher pay, though as a responsible, experienced adult as opposed to a recent graduate who has come on a jaunt, you might be able to negotiate a bit for higher pay or more hours.

Berlitz is usually able to guarantee more hours, but you have to teach according to their very prescribed method. There isn't a lot of scope to be creative or teach according to your own ideas.

CELTA or Trinity TESOL definitely the best certificates.

Pay is more likely to be per hour rather than per month, as few schools will guarantee you a monthly/yearly salary. Going rate is about 19 - 22 euros per hour before tax, unless you set up as an auto-entrepeneur in which case you get more. The big question is how many hours you can get every month. You've missed the busiest period (Sep - Dec), but Jan - June can still be good. Things will probably die down a lot over the summer.

I don't think there is a great call for English for psychologists/policy advisors, unless it's as part of a university course which is a whole other board game.
KirstyinParis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated!

Kirsty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: