Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT--Getting Hired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helenl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The probation period of 1 year is standard nearly everywhere in the GCC and has been at HCT since forever.

It is SOP nearly everywhere in the world where an employer can extend the probationary period at will. At least it was in my federally regulated industry in North America (not education)
Rena58

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

Dear VS

I have been told by some former Brit colleagues in the area that you cannot make it there for under 32,000 Dhs./month.

At any rate, and taking into account the 25,000 Dhs as an example you have to consider the following expenses out of your pocket when you first arrive
- Transportation to and from work (no banks will give you a car loan for 30,000-40,000 Dhs. on arrival)
- Insurance, maintenance (pls. see above)
- Summer holiday ticket
- Moving expenses from either another GCC or overseas.
- They don't provide a figure for the settling allowance (maybe enough for a bed, desk, fridge, microwave....?????

I'm European so the currency exchange rate doesn't seem so exciting as for other teachers coming from the USA or other parts of the world where the standard of living is high and taxes have sky rocketed during the last few years.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that many, if not most, live VERY well on even 25K. It all depends on one's priorities - family size - etc. Do you require a maid, a cook, and/or a nanny? Are you a heavy drinker/partier? I worked with people who spent more each month on booze than my total living expenses including car. Laughing How often do you want to eat out? Do you require a new top-of-the-line 4WD or a Mercedes or a Nissan Sunny? The same reason that one single person will end a year with no savings, while another will be just as happy with his/her life and save 75% of their salary.

One friend told me that there is no longer any settling in allowance (used to be 30K the day after you arrived). Transport allowance is already included in the number in your offer. The only moving expenses that I ever got from them was for an extra suitcase. Unless it is something new, government education employees normally got car loans very quickly. And naturally, car insurance and maintenance will occur if you buy a car. You may want to consider leasing as a popular option these days.

So far no one has been able to confirm whether they are paying for flights or if travel too is included in your monthly offer. Since this a totally new contract process, the answer will probably have to come from new applicants/hires. Have you asked HR?

VS
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person on 25,000 a month I mentioned is in one of the northern Emirates and can live very well. Someone in Dubai on the same money, if single, can survive but not thrive. With a family, forget it. That 25K includes EVERYTHING except education.
Rena58

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

Dear VS

I'm going there as single and do not need to go out much or spend a lot on entertainment (I have work or books to read) and I'm not extravagant with my expenses but I do think about safety concerning a car purchase and most likely go for a SUV - size matters even if not German or Japanese.

I was able to save 90% + of my income but it bugs me the fact that they've changed the policy last July, so tough luck for the newcomers. In addition I am a MFL teacher, so they get a lot more from me
Sad

Annual vacation flights definitely not included Rolling Eyes
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

Rena58 wrote:
In addition I am a MFL teacher, so they get a lot more from me
Sad

How so?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

Rena58 wrote:
Annual vacation flights definitely not included Rolling Eyes

How about beginning and end of contract flights?

Since you were upset at exchange rates, this is at least a place where you have a major advantage over those from North America. The short flight to the UK costs a fraction of the cost of a flight to Left Overshoe, Nebraska... or anywhere else beyond the East Coast. (or Australia or New Zealand)

VS
Rena58

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

Dear VS, nomad soul

Yes, beginning and end of contract flights included in the contract. You're definitely right about the location and distance, as well as cost from Europe.

Still they can have me teach Spanish & French as well as English for the same paycheck while under contract Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

Rena58 wrote:
Still they can have me teach Spanish & French as well as English for the same paycheck while under contract Confused

That seems completely reasonable to me. My whole time with HCT, I taught 50% writing and 50% business classes - mostly accounting. Pay was based on education (MA in TEFL) and number of years teaching experience. (4 full time EFL)

VS
Gus Barkley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to keep up with news: I knew HCT went from providing housing to giving an allowance... but they also got rid of the Dh 30,000 moving in allowance? So this discussion of Dh 25,000 per month is for each person to also pay for:
1. Housing
2. Educational expenses for kids
3. Ticket home

As a UAEU'er I hope we don't go down the same road.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 25,000 was offered to one person that we know of...

Yes, it includes the housing allowance.

One person posted that they thought the education allowance is on top of that, but we don't have confirmation or amounts under the new system.

Summer leave tickets apparently gone.

Let's hope that all qualified applicants tell them to shove it if they bother to apply at all... and their standards drop enough to warn UAEU and ZU not to follow their lead.

VS
Rena58

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

Gus & VS

In my offer of employment it mentions education allowance and health insurance on top of that.

It is irrelevant to me since I have single status and health insurance doesn't cover optical or dental. Any visit to the doc comes with a 14$ ticket, not sure if I will have to pay for all my prescriptions (I am allergic and will be carrying 3 months supply of everything I need with a doctor's note).

Hope it helps somehow.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

Thanks for the update on school fees. Did it mention the amount paid?

Rena58 wrote:
It is irrelevant to me since I have single status and health insurance doesn't cover optical or dental. Any visit to the doc comes with a 14$ ticket, not sure if I will have to pay for all my prescriptions (I am allergic and will be carrying 3 months supply of everything I need with a doctor's note).

I've never in my life had insurance that covers optical and/or dental. Another area where we Americans go and think the costs are FANTASTICALLY cheap. Laughing In the US, you never leave the dentist or the eye doctor's office without paying over $100... that's assuming no problems... just a cleaning/check-up. Prescription drugs - which also mostly are not covered in US insurance will cost normally a minimum of 10 times what they cost in the UAE.

So all Americans will love this part of life in the UAE...

VS
Gus Barkley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reasons I don't know, contact lenses are twice the price here as the US. I buy a year's supply every summer back home.

The Dh 50 ($13.50) co-pay per hospital visit is reasonable and the prescriptions will be almost completely covered.

What is really scary is time back in the US. My health insurance pays 80% of the rate of what the procedure would be cost in Dubai. A friend had an extensive medical treatment while back in the US and insurance covered only $10,000 of her $50,000 bill. If anyone knows of supplemental catastrophic insurance that could be purchased I would love to buy it for my trips home.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: HCT -- getting hired Reply with quote

Rena58 wrote:

That happens; I've been pegged for my legal skills in addition to teaching English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: