Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interac Training & Induction - Confrontational Approach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
rxk22 wrote:
Here is a quick question, is the Interac unpaid training legal?

My training was completely paid, around 8 bucks an hour (though it didn't include the "optional" night sessions and afterwork).

The mid-contract training days are usually during salary "work days", and are paid as well.

Was that Interac? As I was with them, and all the training before school started was off the clock. We did not start getting paid, until we actually started teaching at school. Which makes me wonder, if that is legal. As we were allowed to not take the training, but come on, like we could turn it down, and still have a job next year.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the guys I talked to if their Interac training this year was paid and they said yes.
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not paid for my four days training, but they did put me up in a hotel and pay for breakfast each day. Whether legal or not, I didn't think it was unfair.

They also gave me a loan at 1% interest of over 200,000 yen, I felt very grateful for that at the time.

For all the bad said about Interac, my experience with them at least was positive overall. It was my way to get into Japan, gain teaching experience, learn Japanese, save money to travel around Asia and then move onto something better.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightsintodreams wrote:
It was my way to get into Japan, gain teaching experience, learn Japanese, save money to travel around Asia and then move onto something better.

I would think that this would be the bottom line when one signs on with Interac (and the JET Programme for that matter).

It's good to hear that it all worked out for you and that you had a positive experience, nightsintodreams.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
kah5217

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightsintodreams wrote:
I was not paid for my four days training, but they did put me up in a hotel and pay for breakfast each day. Whether legal or not, I didn't think it was unfair.

It could be a result of recent changes. They're back in the Osaka market again, though they "warn" people who accept those placements that there will be extra charges for insurance (ie, they have to give shakai hoken to those employees).
rxk22

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
nightsintodreams wrote:

It could be a result of recent changes. They're back in the Osaka market again, though they "warn" people who accept those placements that there will be extra charges for insurance (ie, they have to give shakai hoken to those employees).
Yeah wonder if Interac got in trouble for this.

I have heard that the BoE in Kansai is and has been a mess for a while. I wonder if this was a way of getting their ducks in a line.

As for unpaid training, I don't care that it was in a hotel, and that you get breakfast. I was out a plane ticket, and had to buy dinner. So it cost me to get trained in the end. All of which was pointless. On top of having to be in Japan for 3 weeks before I even started working. All of which cost me money.
rslrunner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
Apparently, as one of the new guys described it to me, it was run as a kind of boot camp style of induction / training.

Push people around a bit, demean them a little, shake their confidence and then see who sticks around. Those are the ones they want.

That is a terrible way to treat people who are coming to the country to teach English.

Why does Interac treat its employees this way? Why do they believe a boot camp style induction would be a successful strategy in preparing their new hires to teach their methodology?

Are there cultural considerations that might justify or explain this state of affairs?
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unpaid training with just one meeting per day must be paid.
I heard this from the Hachioji labor office.

My university used to start orientation back on March 18th so I called up the labor office and was given the facts.
steki47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rslrunner wrote:

That is a terrible way to treat people who are coming to the country to teach English.

Why does Interac treat its employees this way?

{snip}

Are there cultural considerations that might justify or explain this state of affairs?

Why? Because they can. Not much one can do about it, aside from getting another job.

Cultural considerations? I am guessing economic considerations play a greater role here. Supply and demand have definitely shifted against us.

By the way, my training with Interac was not so strict or rough. Pretty standard presentation of company policies and lesson steps. They look for people who are eager to answer questions and repeat what the trainer said an hour ago. All in all, pretty good preparation for ALT work. Half joking.
kah5217

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one in your group was screamed at like a ninny by the head trainer? Heck, there were men practically crying to mama at mine, he scared the crap out of them (freaked me out a little too, but I was lucky enough not to get picked).
milkman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "boot camp"-style training started like 2 or 3 years ago, I don't fully remember but it is a recent thing. People who say that they never experienced it likely worked before they implemented it.

From what I heard the first year they tried it was a complete disaster and they lost quite a few people, so I was really surprised to hear that they continue to do it.
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
No one in your group was screamed at like a ninny by the head trainer? Heck, there were men practically crying to mama at mine, he scared the crap out of them (freaked me out a little too, but I was lucky enough not to get picked).

Jeez, what a horrible experience! No, I have never had any training session remotely resemble that in my ten years in Japan. Nova, 2 different ALT companies and a few dumpy little eikaiwas here and there.

The trainers were not always particularly friendly or cuddly, but they generally did their jobs in a professional manner. Robotic even, if I have to complain.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milkman wrote:
The "boot camp"-style training started like 2 or 3 years ago, I don't fully remember but it is a recent thing. People who say that they never experienced it likely worked before they implemented it.

From what I heard the first year they tried it was a complete disaster and they lost quite a few people, so I was really surprised to hear that they continue to do it.

Yeah, the group I spoke with said it was terrible. However, now that they are at their schools they are treated normally.

But to have people actually cry or to walk out during training is just complete stupidity.
rxk22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did people actually walk off, as in quit? I know Interac has some standby people, but only so many. So I wonder if this bit them in the butt?

i don't dislike Interac, but they could try to be a better company in many ways. They aren't Heart/RCS, but you are comparing them to some pretty awful companies
kah5217

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see one guy walk out of training, no idea if he left or just needed to cool down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: