Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SNET in Hong Kong
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Perilla



Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 773
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenCardigan wrote:
I know this thread has long since lay dormant, but sibertiger, if you're out there, could you tell me what agency interviewed you in Brisbane for SNET? I'm in the same city, and I'd like to track down the agency and visit with them.


I think Google might bring you better results GC ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrjack



Joined: 04 Sep 2004
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Hong Kong Reply with quote

HI,
I see that you were teaching in the UK for 17 years before going to HK to work. I am 38 years old and I guess about the same age as you when you left. Was it a good move for you ? how did things work out for you ? I am so bored of my job and really considering the move over to Hong Kong.
Thanks in advance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joshua2006



Joined: 04 Jan 2010
Posts: 335

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get bored of HK too....unless you are prepared to travel a lot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sistercream



Joined: 18 Dec 2010
Posts: 487
Location: Pearl River Delta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, young Josh, you too will probably reach an age when stability sounds much more appealing than Excitement.

It's very comfortable ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joshua2006



Joined: 04 Jan 2010
Posts: 335

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sistercream wrote:
Believe it or not, young Josh, you too will probably reach an age when stability sounds much more appealing than Excitement.

It's very comfortable ...

I think you get me wrong.....I am more than ready to leave HK and move back to the UK to find something that bit more 'stable'.....wife thoroughly hates HK and I am 50/50 about it.

It isn't the city it's made out to be - not by a long shot, and the areas like the one in which I work? Well, that's a whole different side of HK that is NEVER seen in the tourist brochures but is in fact the 'real' Hong Kong. If people knew about places like this, they would have a very different take on this 'international' city.

And we can see the Exhibition Centre from our sixth floor, which makes it even more ironic....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Perilla



Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 773
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
I am more than ready to leave HK and move back to the UK to find something that bit more 'stable'....

It isn't the city it's made out to be - not by a long shot, and the areas like the one in which I work? Well, that's a whole different side of HK that is NEVER seen in the tourist brochures but is in fact the 'real' Hong Kong. If people knew about places like this, they would have a very different take on this 'international' city.


Stable job? UK? Shurely shome mishtake!

I hear what you're saying about HK not being a truly international city and all that, but then, take a trip to Hartlepool, Grimsby or the suburbs of Birmingham (to mention a few) and things will probably look fairly bleak. Yes I'd take a good UK job in preference to its equivalent in HK but I know I'm not going to find it! So HK it is, for a while yet, and lets face it, life could be a lot, lot worse!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joshua2006



Joined: 04 Jan 2010
Posts: 335

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:



I hear what you're saying about HK not being a truly international city and all that, but then, take a trip to Hartlepool, Grimsby or the suburbs of Birmingham (to mention a few)
Why would I EVER visit those cities...? I'd rather use barb wire to scratch my piles....

Quote:
and things will probably look fairly bleak. Yes I'd take a good UK job in preference to its equivalent in HK but I know I'm not going to find it! So HK it is, for a while yet, and lets face it, life could be a lot, lot worse!


Well, I am actively looking and things do turn up from time to time...just trying to find the right thing is hard. Still want to leave HK though....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Perilla



Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 773
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
Why would I EVER visit those cities...?


Why indeed? - unless you happened to land a job there of course. But what I was driving at is that some parts - many parts - of the UK are also not international and, tbh, would astonish many foreigners at their level of dishevelment and backwardness, if they ever happened to go there.

Anyway, good luck with the job search!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joshua2006



Joined: 04 Jan 2010
Posts: 335

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:


Anyway, good luck with the job search!
Yeah, well, that isn't going to well.....sadly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
saroq



Joined: 05 Nov 2004
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
sistercream wrote:
Believe it or not, young Josh, you too will probably reach an age when stability sounds much more appealing than Excitement.

It's very comfortable ...

I think you get me wrong.....I am more than ready to leave HK and move back to the UK to find something that bit more 'stable'.....wife thoroughly hates HK and I am 50/50 about it.

It isn't the city it's made out to be - not by a long shot, and the areas like the one in which I work? Well, that's a whole different side of HK that is NEVER seen in the tourist brochures but is in fact the 'real' Hong Kong. If people knew about places like this, they would have a very different take on this 'international' city.

And we can see the Exhibition Centre from our sixth floor, which makes it even more ironic....

I can relate. I'd gladly return home but won't for different reasons. You may find that your enjoyment of teaching in a foreign land increases if you work in a true top tier international school. I find it more rewarding than the NET scheme in many ways. Still after so many years away (16) I'd also like to go home but I know back home I wouldn't be teaching such nice kids and I wouldn't be saving $60-$70,000 a year either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC