Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accommodation in Ibri

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Accommodation in Ibri Reply with quote

Greetings,

The title likely says it all: I'm new in Ibri and don't know where to stay. I don't know how to find any housing agents (if there are any) or any landlords with furnished flats. I would REALLY appreciate any help anyone could throw my way about how to start.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't your employer assisting? How about the other teachers? I've never heard of education employers not organizing something for the new faculty.

One option is to go to the supermarket and see if they have a board where people post things. The old fashioned system was to drive around and look for signs, but you would need an Arabic speaker along to help.

Hopefully someone who has lived there will come on and tell us if there are any rental agents...

VS
JRJohn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Accommodation In Ibri Reply with quote

I once lived there and was provided with accommodation. My attitude is that there would be absolutely no point in me going there UNLESS they provided accommodation for me. Living in the Middle East requires you to make certain adjustments. It's not always an easy transition. You maybe need a better job than this.
laylow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: I have heard... Reply with quote

Ibri is not a great place to be. Anyone who lives there now care to comment?
somewhereinoman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is that bad at all. It may be remote but there is still a lot to do here and in the surrounding area. In addition, if you compare the salaries paid by agents like TATI and Globnet for native speakers here, it sure beats salaries for positions in many other places in Oman. Check tefl.com and seriousteachers.com and you will see what I mean.

Agreed - you need to find accommodation here and having a car is essential but it is still miles better than contracts I worked on across the border from Oman. There are no estate agents and only two colleges that take on teaching staff regularly. Check the notice boards in the restaurants/cafeterias of these colleges for ads on available accommodation.

Having your ear close to the ground is the best way to find anything. Speak to the locals - they are your best source for information on whatever you need here.
somewhereinoman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: I have heard... Reply with quote

laylow wrote:
Ibri is not a great place to be. Anyone who lives there now care to comment?

I guess it depends what you are prepared to do and how high your expectations are. Here are some pointers, showing the negative perception as well as solutions:

1. There is no decent shopping centre: This may have been true in the past but with the new Lulu's opening recently, there is no excuse not to spend your hard earned OMR;

2. The road between Bahla and Ibri is terrible: Yes, it used to be, but with new development in the area, the road is being rebuilt, meaning the last single stretch between Muscat and the UAE, using the southern route, will soon be double all the way. The same goes for the road going north towards Rustaq. It is now a great double carriageway. Not sure how far it goes, but at least from just past Lulu's to Ad Diriz it is double all the way;

3. There is nothing to do: Not true, except if you expect glam and glitter all the time. I took a drive out to Jebel Misht this morning and the scenery is magnificent. Enjoy what is given to you. This is a very sensitive desert environment and needs to be treated with utmost respect. I stopped next to a stream and I could not believe the number of frogs I heard! Look and listen for the small things.

4. If all else fails, go to the hotel. You are sure to meet some of the expats there. The worst mistake you can make is to think everyone is going to run out to meet you. You must go and meet people, otherwise prepare yourself for a lonely existence.

Anyone wishing to get more information, feel free to PM me.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are absolutely 2 Omani towns to be avoided if possible-both would rank pretty highly in terms of 'ESL destinations from hell!' Just to add to the attempt by 'somewhere' to put a positive spin on Ibri....'There is no decent shopping centre'....well the town does have a Lulu shopping centre-opened during June/ July last year-a blessing yes, cos it's well stocked with all the essentials.
'The road between Bahla and Ibri is terrible'-so improvements have been made-so what? What does it say about a towns positive points when one of the key factors becomes how easy it is to get out of there?!
'There is nothing to do'-absolutely spot on there-again, 'somewhere' has to get into his car and go for a drive outside the town in order to engage in some enjoyment of nature. 'Something to do' for me equals-trips to cinema, using the local swimming pool, eating in decent restaurants......should be noted that all of these can be done in Nizwa, but Ibri?
'If all else fails go to the hotel'-yeah, Ibri has a single licensed hotel...with a reasonably stocked bar-I would suggest that this place, 'The Oasis' is the only place that western expat teachers can visit to hang out, socialize and of course drink in this town.
I've only been here a short while and don't intend to stay much longer-in Ibri that is, but am getting a little sick of the 'get into your car and visit the Wadi' brigade-fact is there is little or nothing to do here! Crying or Very sad
somewhereinoman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Ibri Reply with quote

At least I try to be positive. Your comment is simply filled with negativity. Yes, I am then part of the "Get into your car and visit the wadi-brigade" as you so sarcastically call it.

Your departure will be no loss. Masalaama.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a chat with my few buddies here....we're going to give the bar a miss this weekend-thinking positively about our day out at the stream 'frog-watching'! Who knows? Maybe we'll even see some spawning action! Very Happy
somewhereinoman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Just had a chat with my few buddies here....we're going to give the bar a miss this weekend-thinking positively about our day out at the stream 'frog-watching'! Who knows? Maybe we'll even see some spawning action! Very Happy

Cool, I can even tell you where I saw the frogs the other day, right next to the road, on the way to the famous landmark, Jebel Misht. Buy hey, consider the frogs' privacy and don't peep while they bonk. Smile
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least Ibri has a bar, Rustaq has nothing! Luckily the road to Muscat is shorter!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oman has always been a place that required teachers with an ability to entertain themselves. It is probably best for those who like the outdoors... a good 4WD for wadi bashing, camping, and/or photography. Fill up a Kindle with all those books you always wanted to read, but never had the time. Take an online course or MA. At least now you have the internet and sat TV. When I was first there when SQU opened, there was one TV channel (45 minutes in English each day), and our only news source was shortwave BBC.

These are entry level jobs for the Gulf market. Manage a year or two and your CV will be much more marketable to move up to the better jobs and locations.

VS
somewhereinoman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
These are entry level jobs for the Gulf market. Manage a year or two and your CV will be much more marketable to move up to the better jobs and locations.

Not quite. You could do a lot worse in Oman, even is the so-called "better locations". It is difficult to get exact figures as teachers will mostly be unwilling to tell what they earn. Salary can be quantied. Living conditions are mostly subjective. I guess at the end of the day it depends on what makes you happy. What could work for some may not work for others.

This thread was started by someone who wanted information about Ibri, nothing else. Let's stick to the topic of the OP.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somewhereinoman wrote:
This thread was started by someone who wanted information about Ibri, nothing else. Let's stick to the topic of the OP.

Actually you are the one who expanded the subject... and my post is totally appropriate for life in Ibri... or any other of the small towns in the hinterlands of Oman that IMHO are really pretty much only for entry into the Gulf market. They allow people to avoid Saudi... which is usually a good thing.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: