Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CALEDONIAN SCHOOL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rafaella

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Westergaard wrote:
If a school doesn't pay you for a month leave. It's that simple, just leave.

I take your point but what then? I understand that Prague is an extremely competitive market for English teachers and I imagine finding another job at short notice particularly at the 'wrong' time of year, would be very difficult. I assume teachers in this situation stay on in the hope that they will eventually get the money owed to them. If they disappear, they have effectively given up on ever seeing that money. It's a really tough decision to make.
mr tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Chris Westergaard"] their TEFL course never made them any money. Why would you think that? The only reason why they ever had a TEFL course was for recruitment. Their language contracts probably generated 7-10 times what they made with TEFL[/quote]

you might be right in your comparison, but i knew some "high-ups" there and they told me that the TEFL was very lucrative for them. large fees, minimal costs.

no idea about the current state of play there as nearly everyone i know left, disgusted as Guinea Pig was...
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafaella wrote:
Chris Westergaard wrote:
If a school doesn't pay you for a month leave. It's that simple, just leave.

I take your point but what then? I understand that Prague is an extremely competitive market for English teachers and I imagine finding another job at short notice particularly at the 'wrong' time of year, would be very difficult. I assume teachers in this situation stay on in the hope that they will eventually get the money owed to them. If they disappear, they have effectively given up on ever seeing that money. It's a really tough decision to make.

No what they can do is get a lawyer and take the school to court. If TEFL teachers allow schools to walk over them, then they are going to walk over them. I've had to personally on a few occasions hunt down some DOS's of schools that had not paid my graduates. It actually got me into some trouble. But what else are you going to do? If you let people treat you like a victim, then that's what you become.

What then? Is that you get another job. I keep hearing about how competitive the market is, and that's true, it is competitive. Somehow though, we get brand new teachers each month employment without too many difficulties, so the work is out there. If a school is a month late with payment, they aren't paying you anyway. Wise to start looking elsewhere.

Really though it depends on your relationship with the school and the vibe you get from them. There are times where payment might be late and it's nothing the school can do about it. If you have a good relationship with them, if you feel they are good people..then stay on board. If most people don't like them and they seem like dodgy characters - why work/support that type of environment anyway?
mr tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be some interesting developments coming soon here... you might have read an article somewhere about American teacher Sterling Thompson suing the school (link here http://www.lidovky.cz/americky-lektor-se-chce-soudit-dew-/ln_veda.asp?c=A110418_182618_ln_veda_ape )

i hear from friends of friends that his efforts are going quite well... could put quite a dent in Caledonian's coffers...
DayaM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check out reviews of this school over on Go Teach Abroad-http://www.goteachabroad.com/teach-in-czech-republic/teach-english-caledonian-school-in-prague/511

There's only one up right now, but more should come in since this school's such a hot topic here.
mr tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any update available on these jokers? have they been able to rise from the ashes of the takeover, or are they still tumbling downwards..??
mr tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more on the Caledonian tax case: http://www.underthelookingglass.com/index.php/en/
Moto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on the current situation at Caledonian ?
emmett grogan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know they are operating under the names of Caledonian, Tutor, Edua, Top Vision... and still the worst gig in town.
billbob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. heated debate on a controversial school without the mudslinging and personal oneupmanship like on the Poland forum! Chilled out Czechs?
ilugru2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmett grogan wrote:
As far as I know they are operating under the names of Caledonian, Tutor, Edua, Top Vision... and still the worst gig in town.

Have been working with Tutor in Brno for some time and they pay average if you talk them into it and the facilities and working conditions are alright, I'd say.
Moto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see on expats.cz they are still advertising for teachers Rolling Eyes
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear all sorts of stories about Caledonian but I've never had any direct contact with them. However, I recently had the misfortune to come into contact with one of their former senior members of staff and, wow, what a duplicitous, conniving back-biting piece of work he was.

It seems he considered me a rival, so he set about winning my confidence and then breaching that confidence to undermine me. I actually only started to suss out what was going on when a conversation I had with him was reported to me directly by another member of staff.

Another colleague later told me that this had been his modus operandi for as long as he had known him - kissing ass with the people who could get him ahead and cutting up his colleagues in the process.

I also have to say this guy's attitude to the students stank to high heaven. He seemed to see himself as their lord and master and basically was on a power trip.

I suspect that he is one of the ones who set the tone for those negative reviews - I could believe him capable of any dirty trick in the book - so maybe it's a lot better now that he's not there. (I also suspect he may have left under a cloud as he is rather boastful but never once told me about Caledonian.)
mr tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czexpat, he sounds like an "interesting" character for sure (can't think who u mean, but intrigued!) - can assure you that there were plenty of people responsible for negative reviews though, from the top down, so one person wouldn't have had such an impact in that way. there were a lot of good people there too, but as soon as the rot (new owners) set in a lot of them left pretty quickly.

that's all back in 2010, i have no idea how it's going these days, i totally avoid them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: