Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is Traveling to Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya etc Today?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: How is Traveling to Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya etc Today? Reply with quote

I am trying to get away from all the noise and other inconveniences of Chinese Spring Festival holiday that is approaching scarily. The recent news of Bangkok unrests have discouraged me and I have sought a trip to Cambodia. The poor law and order in that nation, however, has caused me a degree of anxiety as well.

Haven't given up on Thailand. How and where on the end of January and beginning of February is my question. Not asking for much; hotel with food near the sea and some gym, pool and tennis court. And above all safety.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overblow the unrest in Thailand. You might be inconvenienced a little if you go to Bangkok, but your perfectly safe there. Safer than a city in the USA.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

You will be safe anywhere in Thailand....no worries....Good luck!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have to disagree to some degree here.

Things in Bangkok are likely to get much worse starting this Monday, 13 January. You may be more than slightly inconvenienced.

In addition to that, Phuket and Pattaya are well known high crime areas with attacks on and ripoffs of tourists increasing recently. Clashes between the two main political factions occurred in Chiang Mai just a few days ago. Plus, I think it is "haze season" up there now, isn't it?

On the other hand, if you leave Bangkok immediately and go to some less popular resort area or island, you will probably be fine. Also, you will get better and better rates on the exchange rate for the baht (currently 33 to $US 1 and falling) as the situation worsens.

Anyway, whatever you decide, keep an eye on the news in the coming weeks.
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you exercise basic common sense I think you'll be pretty safe anywhere across Asia.
I've spent about five years traveling and working all over Asia and never felt in danger in the way I often did on a night out back home in the UK.
steki47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the protests are limited to specific neighborhoods in Bangkok. I went to MBK early Sunday morning in December and as I was leaving the traffic was slow due to people marching in the streets. Eventually my taxi turned off the road (I forget which) and the traffic cleared up quickly. Tuesday, the BTS was down and traffic was extra horrible.

While I was in Pattaya, a cop was killed on the 26th. Very bad, but my point being that I was not in any danger at any time.

Not sure what will happen in the future.
mw182006

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fly into BKK on the 15th, and as of the other day added a leg to Krabi. I'd rather not take my chances with the chaos and hope things will have calmed down a bit by the end of my trip in mid-Feb. Hopefully I can spend a couple days checking out all BKK has to offer!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10568743/Bangkok-map-steers-tourists-clear-of-shut-down-protests.html
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now if you read this message OP make a reservation for the Atlanta Hotel Bangkok for when you arrive. You can get the information to do that off of their website. The hotel is directly off of the Sky Train so you can go straight from the airport to the hotel via the Sky Train. Because otherwise the roads are being blocked. Another option is the Nana Hotel bordello(slightly pricey, but still reasonable at least for one night). If you do get a reservation there PM me and I will tell you exactly where it is at from the Sky Train.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the contributions and help offered. Due to the reports about the unstable situation in the country, I have decided not to travel there or travel anywhere in the near vicinity to China where demonstrations are only organized by the governing party and where people are most often unmoved by events around them. Peace seems to be a relative term.
Yasuke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on the situation on the ground now that the protest leader has been killed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: