Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NET Curriculum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgates276

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: NET Curriculum? Reply with quote

Hi,

This question is for the PNETS. SNETS can reply too if its similar. Is there a curriculum that you follow? Are there textbooks you use or are you supposed to come up with everything on your own? If your supposed to be creative, what exactly do you do with your students? I've been in a situation in Korea where I was in a public school and there was nothing for the kids to do; no textbooks or curriculum and I didn't know what to do with the students. I don't want to be in that position again.

Thanks.
Honky Nick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Schools can choose how they deploy their NETs and there is no set NET curriculum. There are, however, various projects that the school can sign up to, such as PLP-RW (Primary Literacy Programme - Reading and Writing). If a school is running one of these programs, some resources, professional development and lesson plans are available.

For non-project schools, the NET could be asked to develop their own materials and lesson plans.

In short, there are a lot of variables. I work at a non-project school and develop my own units of work based around big books for lower primary and chapter books for upper primary.

If you don't want to find yourself in that position again, ask if the school is a PLP-R or PLP-RW school. If they say yes, you will have a wealth of resources available to you.
bgates276

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can teach all subjects though if you want to right? Not just language arts or ESL specifically, but maths and science, music, phys ed, geography, or what ever else you can think of? Would certainly add a lot more possibilities in the classroom.
sistercream

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a PNET, you would have to be very careful about doing this to avoid treading on the class teacher's toes - the children would be studying these other subjects using Chinese as the medium of instruction.

If you want to be a general class teacher, make sure you have the qualifications, accreditation and experience in your home jurisdiction and then apply for positions in international/ ESF schools using the same or closely related curricula to the one in which your trained.
bgates276

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you with the same set of 30 -40 students for the whole day? Or is it like my teaching experience in Korea, where you teach each grade for like 45 minutes to an hour, then rotate so that each grade in the school gets a little taste of ESL each day? Cause I assumed only one PNET was assigned per school. Also, I heard a PNET works two schools. How exactly does that work?
sistercream

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are thinking of the government NET scheme, then a PNET works the same kind of schedule as a secondary school subject teacher - you have a timetable of different classes at different hours.
If a school is too small to get funding for a "whole" NET, it might arrange with another school that only needs another .2 or .4 so you go to the second place 1 or 2 days a week.

Do note that by no means all of the places that advertise for NETs employ through the government scheme - it's just the acronym for Native English-speaking Teacher, so be very wary. That said, there are some excellent DSS (direct subsidy schools) which employ PNETs independently, but with the same pay & conditions as on the government scheme. This is normally specified in the ads, and they're worth looking for if your qualifications and experience are up to scratch.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNET.....all provided for me on the computer and in set books. The only extra work I could have is either marking or setting homework.....but as most of my students couldn't give a rat's a@@@ about DSE, homework is few and far between. They don't do it even when I do set it.....

So, curriculum yes, extra work - minimum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: