Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody want to review my cover letter and resume?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zbird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Anybody want to review my cover letter and resume? Reply with quote

I just wrote up a cover letter and resume for teaching English in Japan, would anybody care to take a look at them? I've written them before for jobs in the US, but this is the first time I'm doing it for jobs in Japan, so the language is greatly simplified. I'm planning to apply to jobs in the next month and land in Japan at the beginning of February to interview.

I'm Asian-American, if anybody feels that that makes a difference in what my cover letter should include.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody want to review my cover letter and resume? Reply with quote

I claim no special expertise, but I'd be happy to take a look.

A few cultural tips that Americans need to be aware of:

1. Think long and hard about the reasons you'll give for wanting to be in Japan. Never, ever raise the subject of manga and anime.

2. It's the norm to include a passport-style photo in your resume.

3. The Japanese job-hunting market is about extreme conformism. They'll cut you some slack because you're foreign, but the more you can present yourself as an earnest worker bee, the better. They're looking for a dependable little cog they can slot into they're money-making machine and forget about.

4. My sources tell me that, in Japan, people who reveal unflattering truths about themselves while job-hunting are considered unsuited for any kind of customer facing role. For instance, it's common to mask periods of unemployment / illness with lies like, "I had to give up work to care for my ailing mother."

5. Save your probing questions about conditions and benefits until after you've got the job offer. (And even then, ask humbly. If they give your question the brush off, it's often better to assume the worst rather than push for a definitive answer.) In the interview, ask flattering questions.

In all these matters: do as I say, not as I do. Wink
zbird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou, please check your pm
move

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll take a look at it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: