Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How good is Bayt.com?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revilo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: How good is Bayt.com? Reply with quote

I hve a profile on Bayt.com and I keep it current.
There is also a feature where you can get the range of salaries for a certain country and find out the average salary. As I recall, the avg. salary in KSA was around $3200. Of course, the range went higher & lower depending on qualifications, years experience, etc.
I only have 1.5 years experience in that area, but I'd like to know from the vets if this is trustworthy data. I don't want to lowball my own salary since I'm talking to a recruiter.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear revilo,

I'd say that the "average" is closer to $4000 these days, maybe even a little above.
But with only 1.5. years experience (you don't mention your qualifications, BA, MA, Celta, etc.), you'd probably have some difficulty reaching the "average."

Regards,
John
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revilo wrote:
I only have 1.5 years experience in that area, but I'd like to know from the vets if this is trustworthy data. I don't want to lowball my own salary since I'm talking to a recruiter.

That $3200/mo is just a ballpark figure; it doesn't factor in the variables specific to each job such as requisite degree level, degree major, (verified) years of recent experience, type of teaching situation, level of job responsibility, specialized/preferred skills, nationality, etc.

Many job ads posted by recruiters for contracting companies indicate a salary range. But don't expect to see anything near the higher end. If you're dealing with Saudi recruiters/contracting companies versus direct-hire employers, you won't have much say in the salary offered---negotiating almost always proves futile since the company is a middle man and takes a cut of your earnings. In other words, there's no incentive for them to increase their offer if it means less money in their own pockets. However, direct hire positions in KSA tend to pay more but often require applicants to provide employment verification letters from each previous employer in order for salary to be calculated. This is one reason why their job postings generally don't indicate salary.
revilo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

I have 1.5 years of experience in the Middle East. I have 12 + years experience teaching, including China and U.S.
My quals are MA in TESOL, BA English, adult ed credential in ESL, CELTA cert. some publishing in IATEFL, and PRC Foreign expert cert.
whew!

Given the fact that Saudi recruiters will not go to bat for higher salaries for their employees, does that mean UK or American recruiters are more trustworthy? Ed Ex is the proverbial exception..... Confused
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your total years of teaching ESOL is 12+ and you have relevant academic credentials, why are you even bothering with recruiters that work for Saudi contracting companies? Go for direct-hire opportunities and your pay and bennies will be better. Seriously, this is a no-brainer unless your age or something in your experience or... is an issue.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly... with your credentials, forget these websites. No decent university level employer will ever go there looking for teachers. Go directly to university websites around the Gulf and apply for direct hire. Nearly all have online applications these days.

Going to a recruiter only means that you are handing him a big slice of your salary. Why would one ever want to do that?

VS
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is simply emailing lots and lots of universities directly a viable way to find a good job? I'm interested in spending to more years in the Gulf and really just want to make as much as possible. I have seven years experience, and will be finishing my MATESOL sometime this year. I'm currently doing my first Gulf stint in Oman.

With that, should I just start going through every single school's webpage? Honestly, I've never really known how to find jobs. And the stuff advertised doesn't really seem worth it
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan to attend TESOL Arabia (http://tesolarabia.org/conference/).
There's also a related thread about this year's upcoming conference/job fair (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=105121).
revilo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: True story Reply with quote

OK, the theory of "direct hires always make more $$" does not hold in the case of Al Khaleej. When I was at Qassim, one of the teachers requested a meeting with the dean of Ed. Services. He was the great and powerful wizard who could grant the direct hire.

They went through the usual formalities of working in Saudi Arabia and how great the students were ( Laughing ) and then the discussion turned to $$$. The amounts were less than what the contracted employees were getting. At this point, this teacher said, "Thank you for your time, dean, it was great having this discussion with you. Good luck on continued success with the university."
This teacher stayed with the company and, to my knowledge, he's still there working for Al Khaleej.

This does not mean AK is a great company to work for. They put teachers in a hotel next to a prayer tower and that prayer call was the 1st thing to wake them up in the morning (it also influenced my decision to leave the company). You pays your $$ and you takes your chances. I took my chance by leaving. Rolling Eyes
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect to the last post, it almost sounds like it was written by a recruiter. Very Happy

It is a complete no-brainer. Go direct hire if you can. There are always one, or two rare cases that a person can pull out of their butts, but (ha) if one plays the odds, direct hires will always come out on top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: