Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my chances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NikiSC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: What are my chances? Reply with quote

I am an American female in my 40's. I have a BA in Women's Studies, an Associate in Arts, and an AS in General Technology with a focus on power plant technology. I am working on a 250 hour TESOL certification. I taught EFL in China for 5 years and Korea for 1 year and two months. I am in my second year of teaching mechatronics at an American technical college. I have taught students from three years old to their forties. What are my chances for finding employment in the Middle East?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you'd need a TEFL-related MA for the UAE and for Oman, a relevant BA. (Associates degrees don't register with employers in this region.) Try for Saudi Arabia, particularly Princess Noura University after you complete your TESOL cert. I suggest you check out the Saudi forum anyway; there are numerous sketchy contracting companies you need to be aware of.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about needing an MA for Oman, at least not for the colleges of technology. Neither of my (western) colleagues do, and mine isn't finished yet. I just emailed TATI and a week later I was on a plane. Wouldn't be at all surprised if you could too.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need the TESOL or similar certification, it needs to have an observed teaching component. Online certs are not generally accepted here.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have mentioned that you may also need to provide documentary evidence of your previous experience which may need verifying/attestating and so on...
rosalind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
I'm not so sure about needing an MA for Oman, at least not for the colleges of technology. Neither of my (western) colleagues do, and mine isn't finished yet. I just emailed TATI and a week later I was on a plane. Wouldn't be at all surprised if you could too.

pooroldedgar, may I ask what kind of quals you and your colleagues were required to have? TATI looks like a nice place from its web site. Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
I'm not so sure about needing an MA for Oman, at least not for the colleges of technology.

Which is what I stated: "Unfortunately, you'd need a TEFL-related MA for the UAE and for Oman, a relevant BA."
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosalind wrote:
TATI looks like a nice place from its web site. Smile

BTW... TATI is not a place. It is a large company in Oman that is a contractor hiring teachers for various locations around the country. Like all contractors/recruiters, their dependability and the experience of the teachers vary. Do a search of the Oman branch for more information.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What are my chances? Reply with quote

NikiSC wrote:
I am in my second year of teaching mechatronics at an American technical college.

Employers will likely want to see written employment verification from each of your previous employers. That could be problematic to obtain since your TEFL experience isn't recent.

Moreover, keep in mind that your lack of current relevant experience will be a hard sell to potential employers. You're also just now completing a TESOL cert which means you didn't receive EFL teacher training (which included supervised/observed teaching practice with real students) prior to teaching in Korea and China. As such, if would be beneficial if you're able to get some experience elsewhere under your belt once you've finished your TESOL cert. Otherwise, potential employers in this region may consider you a newbie with zero experience. Still, it doesn't hurt to apply for positions in Saudi Arabia---just be realistic about your chances of getting hired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: