Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interac Training & Induction - Confrontational Approach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
I did see one guy walk out of training, no idea if he left or just needed to cool down.

Wonder if they did? As they do have a visa, but that is a huge risk.
rslrunner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
rslrunner wrote:

That is a terrible way to treat people who are coming to the country to teach English.

Why does Interac treat its employees this way?

{snip}

Are there cultural considerations that might justify or explain this state of affairs?

Why? Because they can. Not much one can do about it, aside from getting another job.

Cultural considerations? I am guessing economic considerations play a greater role here. Supply and demand have definitely shifted against us.

By the way, my training with Interac was not so strict or rough. Pretty standard presentation of company policies and lesson steps. They look for people who are eager to answer questions and repeat what the trainer said an hour ago. All in all, pretty good preparation for ALT work. Half joking.

I agree if that the supply of teachers exceeds the demand, it may prompt the company to make training more difficult.

But I still think the cultural explanation makes more sense.

Someone at Interac thought it would be a good idea to browbeat new employees as a matter of course. How these techniques are supposed to make for better English teachers is beyond me. But this is what they think.

Since I don't know exactly how or why Interac would come to such a conclusion, I can only speculate. I think that they lack respect for the foreign people they hire. Japan is a xenophobic place, and they believe that the training, by definition and without reflection, makes the new hires better. So they browbeat their new hires, because, after all, that is what they are good for, indeed the only thing that they are good for.

The problem with this method is that even if the new hires do everything right, they will never be afforded the minimal level of respect that should be due to anyone. That's because the trainers will not respect the new hires. You can't respect someone who submits to being browbeaten.
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rslrunner wrote:
The problem with this method is that even if the new hires do everything right, they will never be afforded the minimal level of respect that should be due to anyone. That's because the trainers will not respect the new hires. You can't respect someone who submits to being browbeaten.

I agree with the above, but the ALT shouldn't expect too much respect (or even communication) from future HRTs/JTEs, so this may get them ready for the reality of being an ALT.

(In my third year as an ALTand prone to griping a bit. Easy job and the kids are generally wonderful. The Jpn teachers range from great to rude. Contracts and salaries are getting worse. I remind myself that I teach 4 hours a day and 140 days a year. Not so bad. )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: