Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VPBOX vietnam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ageecee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: VPBOX vietnam Reply with quote

Anyone been employed or had dealings with this crowd?
Anh Dep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are they?
Daveric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their salary really sucks. I think it was about $1300 for FT, less than the big chain schools with none of the benefits, and for PT, if the $17-19/hr rate wasn't bad enough, not only don't they pay for for a full hour, they won't even pay for the length of the 40' class. They only pay for 35' because they say 5' is for "getting ready" or some such BS. When the school teacher wanted me to stay for the full class, I conferred with the office who told me to leave early. Well, you could imagine what happened with that. School was unhappy, and I had to leave.

Avoid.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daveric wrote:
Their salary really sucks. I think it was about $1300 for FT, less than the big chain schools with none of the benefits, and for PT, if the $17-19/hr rate wasn't bad enough, not only don't they pay for for a full hour, they won't even pay for the length of the 40' class. They only pay for 35' because they say 5' is for "getting ready" or some such BS. When the school teacher wanted me to stay for the full class, I conferred with the office who told me to leave early. Well, you could imagine what happened with that. School was unhappy, and I had to leave.

Avoid.

Shocked

If that's the case, unless you are backpacker teacher with no experience, no degree and no teaching certificate, then, yeah, don't just walk away - run.
BenE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
Daveric wrote:

Avoid.

Shocked

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Is this a sign of things to come now they're tightening the work permit regulations and now that the economic boom isn't booming so much?!?

Maybe soon we'll all be dancing like monkeys for $15 an hour and fighting for those golden $20 an hour jobs.
BenE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(edit they aren't in Hoan Kiem still what I said below is still probably true in terms of targeting the "travelling adventurer")

I expect they don't cry too much when you leave after a month or so. There's always another tây ba lô to pick up from a hostel. $17 is enough for a night out on Ta Hien. I expect they don't cry too much when you leave after a month or so. There's always another tây ba lô to pick up from a hostel. $17 is enough for a night out on Ta Hien.

Last edited by BenE on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daveric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you got that info, but their office is down on Tay Son, and their IT people who have a big say are out in Cau Giay, and their schools are all over.
Sure, if all were in Hoan Kiem, it would be much better, but no such luck. Oh, yeah, no travel allowances, either.
BenE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry was looking at this site http://www.vpbox.edu.vn/lien-he.html

Didn't bother to read the address to the side and just looked at the map. Well if they're that far out and paying that little with no transport stipend they sound like a pretty bad place to end up in. No doubt they charge you a 20% tax rate and never consider giving you a Work Permit.
Riding One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BenE"]
Quote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Is this a sign of things to come now they're tightening the work permit regulations and now that the economic boom isn't booming so much?!?

It's possible that this is a sign of things to come. We cannot predict a 100%, but I see wages declining and the economic conditions are definitely affecting enrollments, IMO.

Quote:
Maybe soon we'll all be dancing like monkeys for $15 an hour and fighting for those golden $20 an hour jobs.

In Saigon, I know people who have experience and a good reputation teaching for $16 per hour gross, and these guys are married. It's a rough life.

The Hanoian market has been tightening.

Those teachers that have upped theie Quals and specialize in a niche are doing OK. But these are the exception and not the rule.

All markets evolve (or devolve). It is happening now in Vietnam, IMO.
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drop by teaching forums to keep informed.

Seems to me RE Vietnam that pretty much all jobs are garbage apart from RMIT, the British Council, ACET and the odd embassy or military contract. How many people get weekends off, don't have to teach young learners unless you want to, have a work permit, get at least 90 hours per month and are paid more than 25/hour?
deadlift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seems to me RE Vietnam that pretty much all jobs are garbage apart from RMIT, the British Council, ACET and the odd embassy or military contract. How many people get weekends off, don't have to teach young learners unless you want to, have a work permit, get at least 90 hours per month and are paid more than 25/hour?

Seems about right. I know that I wouldn't have lasted long in the language mill scene here.

Worth mentioning here that RMIT teachers got a 4% salary bump this year, and a one-off performance related bonus of 0-8%. It's not all doom and gloom.
half moon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadlift wrote:
Quote:

Seems about right. I know that I wouldn't have lasted long in the language mill scene here.

Worth mentioning here that RMIT teachers got a 4% salary bump this year, and a one-off performance related bonus of 0-8%. It's not all doom and gloom.

No, not all doom and gloom

But as noted, RMIT is one of the only decent gigs in Hanoi now, and a good situation is becoming rare.

There is a mill in Hanoi that pays well. High pay, but many organizational and communication aspects cause stress. I worked at this "high paying newly popular place" until about 6 months ago and now work for less at a school with good communication that has basic organizational skills.

I have been saving for a while and am now saving for my departure from Vietnam.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
am now saving for my departure from Vietnam.

Not to be impolite, but does this imply you cannot really afford to leave at this time?

I do wonder how many of our guys are just getting by, not building anything.

I think it is fine to work and generate income, but I would be very nervous if I had to depend on these employers for my survival. They know when they are in the position of strength, and they are quite willing to abuse that. Wish there was some way we could insure that our guys not put themselves in that position, but it seems this is market forces at work, along with the local standards that are found.

I do agree that for the very few who are quite serious and have developed their skills so well that they can serve the higher paying niche markets, the jobs are still there. For the masses, not much advice other than really consider not coming if you must have the income to make it. If you can survive without it, you can have a fine old time.
skarper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's good to warn off the overly naive with rose coloured glasses.

I think the key is to have an emergency fund of about 6 months basic survival money. You can bring this ideally but even if you only have the minimal 2 months you can - by frugal living - build up to 6 months inside less than a year by stashing half you pay. This then gives you the ability to walk when an employer crosses the line.

If we allow them to drive wages down to a level where we cannot save that much it will be a sad day for all of us.

Official unions may not be possible but informally we should exercise some solidarity and not work for the worst employers - outing them online whenever possible - and not work for wages that are below a minimum level. How to do this is the tricky part.

Warning off the people who will get into difficulties because of low skills, immaturity, or bad financial situations is a start. These people should spend a year or two in Korea and save some cash, do some training and generally grow up a bit.
half moon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_in_saigon wrote:
Quote:
am now saving for my departure from Vietnam.

Not to be impolite, but does this imply you cannot really afford to leave at this time?

It's OK to ask mark_in_saigon,

In fact, I think this should be discussed here even more.

Everyone's situation is different. Here's mine.

Yes, I have savings to return to the US, but I don't fee it's enough. The reason why is because of the cost to get started again in the US after years abroad.

As you know, I need to:

1. Buy a car with all cash or qualify for a car loan to get one. The almighty FICO score means a lot (credit). Fortunately my FICO is good. Where I live, one simply cannot function without a car as it's a semi-rural area.

2. the job market is very anemic in the States, except for a couple of cities. This means it may (or may not) take longer to get into the labor market.

3. Cost of Living (CoL). As we know everything costs more: from apartments, to leases, to even communication with a phone and the internet. The latter are needed to secure employment these days.

4. Savings cushion, which we need everywhere.

My parents are still alive and we get along and I can stay at their place, which is a big help. Not all of us have our parents to do that or do not have family members who are around or want to do that.

Most old friends are married (or divorced) raising kids and busy with those things, so renting a room out of their house is not an option, understandably.

But the problem is, my parents live in an area where there are basically no jobs. If a part-time job delivering pizzas is available, many people will apply for it. Having a BA is not an advantage as more jobs are low paying service sector jobs that state "High school diploma or GED is preferred."

This leads me to add,

4. cost of moving to a city with better employment prospects.

Quote:
I do wonder how many of our guys are just getting by, not building anything.

In my experience of many years, I think that figure is at about 70%. Just getting buy, maybe saving a pittance. There are different reasons. Some are here for the lifestyle and prefer the pubs more than contact hours. Some work and save but like to spend money on travel or buying things.

There are a few, perhaps 10-15% that work a ton of hours and rarely go out. They want to save and do save something. They usually have found a niche that they are good at. But even then savings are not a lot if 100% of your income is coming from EFL. However, all the power to them. People who do this workload often burnout and get out of EFL after 3-5 yeas, IMO.

The other 15% are above just getting buy, but below the heavy-workload-savers.

To each their own.

Quote:
I think it is fine to work and generate income, but I would be very nervous if I had to depend on these employers for my survival. They know when they are in the position of strength, and they are quite willing to abuse that. Wish there was some way we could insure that our guys not put themselves in that position, but it seems this is market forces at work, along with the local standards that are found.

The employers/schools can smell that. They like teachers that will say, "yes" nobody how dysfunctional, disorganized, and dishonest they are.

Not enough money to leave, married, and/or don't have family or old friends that can help you get started again back in the "home" country.

So to answer your question again, yes, I am working my way back home.

Last edited by half moon on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: