Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seriously?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Seriously? Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone else on the Nativespeaker website got this offer, but I find it appalling. They want you to have a car, travel about the city and have two years' experience...? All for 40-60 zl an hour? 60 net, alright, not off-base but 40, for driving somewhere on your own dime? I just hope that no one supports this lunacy. Boycott!

I am running MOD EDIT, a language school with
headquarters in Vienna, which is going to expand to Poland (Cracow and
Warsaw) in March 2014. Therefore I am now looking for qualified teachers,
exclusively Native Speakers of various languages, living in these cities.

I expect my teachers to be a graduate of a university, having teacherĀ“s
license (teaching mother tongue as a foreign language, especially in case of
English, German and Polish) and at least 2 years of teaching experience. A
driving-license and a car is a necessity.

It would be a mobile language school at the beginning with a perspective of a
stationary school in the nearest future. You would teach adults individually
as well as groups of people (private and business in-company courses).

My offer would be 40-60zl/60min depending on the type of the course. Home
visits would take at least 90min (Regulations). Contract type - freelance
(umowa o dzielo, umowa zlecenie)

If you would be interested in a long-term cooperation with my company, please
send me your CV with a picture.
For more information visit also:
MOD EDIT
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what kind of people he's expecting to get with that offer. More to the point, who in their right mind would use their own car for that kind of money? It seems that it's just another one of those 'schools' that will pop up and market to clients in awkward locations for a low price, then they'll expect to find teachers for peanuts.

Every single good school that I've worked for has been willing to provide a car for awkwardly located classes, it's just not feasible otherwise. I was involved a while back with preparing a tender for company classes - and we proposed that we would put a teacher on-site from 7am to 5pm Monday-Thursday as one way to avoid the issues with transportation. We didn't win it - and the HR director told me that the winner had offered much more flexibility for a lower price. Where they got native speakers to go to this factory on a flexible basis - I have no idea at all.

It's a shame the mods edited it - it would be interesting to follow his activities.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Think we've done this kind of thing to death.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Most job offers on the net are piss poor like that one. Not even worth a second glance.

Now, an advert on nativespeaker offering 4k zl net a month for 25 teaching hours a week... that would be something!

(Jobs like that are out there, they're just not advertised on the net.)
Janek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by Janek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janek wrote:
40 PLN net for 45 min. should be the minimum to be accepted, not the maximum. Companies pay between 120 and 150 PLN per hour for in-company-classes, at least in Warsaw or Krakow.
Really...

I've always heard that rates in Krakow are lower than in Warsaw. It's meant to be quite a saturated market in K-town.
Janek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by Janek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
I agree. Most job offers on the net are piss poor like that one. Not even worth a second glance.

Now, an advert on nativespeaker offering 4k zl net a month for 25 teaching hours a week... that would be something!

(Jobs like that are out there, they're just not advertised on the net.)

One interesting thing - I haven't had one unsolicited CV from a native speaker in two years. Yet - my school only hires teachers on full time contracts, so they're actually missing an opportunity.

Last time round that I found a native speaker, the job ended up going to a friend of mine not because he was the most qualified or best candidate, but because he was the only one who took the interview with the school owner seriously. He dressed up, made an effort and brought along plenty of materials to share in the interview. Even though he was quite inexperienced, he got the nod because my boss thought he could be relied on.

I must have scheduled about 6 or 7 interviews - and none of them bothered to do that for me. It was quite scary how some people with very good qualifications on paper couldn't even be bothered to bring examples of previous lessons, or they would cancel interviews at short notice. One guy even simply didn't show up, and when I called him to find out what had happened, he openly admitted to having had too much the night before. Lunacy.
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full-time? Hmm... Care to share...? You teach mostly kids though don't you?
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
I must have scheduled about 6 or 7 interviews - and none of them bothered to do that for me. It was quite scary how some people with very good qualifications on paper couldn't even be bothered to bring examples of previous lessons, or they would cancel interviews at short notice. One guy even simply didn't show up, and when I called him to find out what had happened, he openly admitted to having had too much the night before. Lunacy.
That, or they just didn't give a damn about the job you were interviewing for. Just sayin...
dynow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:

That, or they just didn't give a damn about the job you were interviewing for. Just sayin...[/quote]

Shocked
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
That, or they just didn't give a damn about the job you were interviewing for. Just sayin...

Most probably not Wink Strange thing is, it's actually easier to find Americans willing to relocate than to find native speakers actually in Poland already.

Strange how people don't follow the money, though.

Quote:
Full-time? Hmm... Care to share...? You teach mostly kids though don't you?

Not much to share, it's a bilingual primary school Smile The nature of it is that people need to be on full time contracts - there's no way someone working 4/6 hours a week is going to attend meetings with parents, staff meetings and so on.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh Delph, from what you just wrote I could infer that you don't think Americans are native speakers, but I know you didn't mean that. There are a few of us Yanks on this forum, you know, and most of us are in Poland.
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what he means. For the bi-lingual schools it is difficult to find natives in-country. The ones I used to work for mostly recruited from abroad. As you may guess it is not that easy to find native speakers in Poland who can really meet the demands of a "regular" teaching environment i.e. children with parents who may show an interest in their learning, meetings, reports that are more detailed than "p. 76-77, second conditional" Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
I know what he means. For the bi-lingual schools it is difficult to find natives in-country. The ones I used to work for mostly recruited from abroad. As you may guess it is not that easy to find native speakers in Poland who can really meet the demands of a "regular" teaching environment i.e. children with parents who may show an interest in their learning, meetings, reports that are more detailed than "p. 76-77, second conditional" Smile

Exactly that Wink

The problem with recruiting from abroad is the "hmm, what if they don't come back next year?" issue - I know of one kindergarten in Warsaw that demands a 3 year commitment from foreign-recruited teachers for that reason. I'd also rather get someone already in Poland because they would understand the culture more, but as you say, it's not easy at all to find people who can cope with the demands. It's interesting that it's much easier to find qualified American teachers than British/Australian/NZ/Irish teachers though.

The holy grail would be finding a teacher fluent in Polish who is capable of teaching kids. Can I find such a person for a salary that doesn't cost the earth? Nope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: