Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Armenia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andabre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Armenia Reply with quote

Anybody worked in Armenia recently? I have always wanted to visit the place and, coming to the end of a three year sabbatical - I have to go back to the real world next September, I;ve been offered a post in Yerevan. Does anybody have any idea about the cost of living in Armenia and how this relates to salaries? I'm told the hourly rate in Yerevan is between 6 and 8 USD an hour and that I can get an apartment in the outer city for about 130USD a month. Does anybody have any more information on living there?

Thanks
Harbin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Armenia, but only as a tourist and think those numbers sound ridiculously low. Tbilisi pays at least twice those hourly rates, apartment rent runs in the ballpark of $300 per month, and the cost of living seems to be about the same as Yerevan. Your mileage may vary, but I suggest you steer clear of this offer.
TimJD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived and taught a bit in Armenia last year. First, I doubt you'll find an apartment for $130 per month. I was renting a room at a hotel in the Nor Nork District of Yerevan for about $135 per month plus electricity and water. I was only able to arrange that because I have a friend there. Honestly, I wish I had not done that (no Wi-Fi, couldn't install internet there, had to take marshrutka to get downtown, etc...). Second, pay there is very low, so yes, $6 to $8 USD (possibly lower) sounds about right. What school were you in contact with? If you want more info, please feel free to PM me. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: