Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get work in Mexico - or any other country

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franryan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: How to get work in Mexico - or any other country Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me..

I'm British and I've recently graduate from University with a degree in Anthropology and am hoping to get a teaching job in Mexico (or any other Central/South American country) as soon as I can. I've completed a one-month CELTA course and have taught English in Ethiopia for 2 months, so my experience is limited. I don't speak Spanish but am keen to learn and I'm flexible about the location. I'm not looking for a great wage but just enough to get by - a stipend would be sufficient.

I've been told that there are a lot of teaching jobs in Mexico but I haven't had much luck when searching for them online. Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to find teaching jobs in Latin America? Would it be easier to get a job if I went out there? I understand that there may be complications with the VISA for the latter option but I have thought that it might be a more straight-forward option.

I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are primarily interested in Mexico, you'd be better off asking in the Mexico forum, you will probably get more detailed information there. However, generally in Latin America you have to be in-country because you get a job by knocking on doors with your CV/resume. Very few jobs are advertised online, and those that are tend to go to people with more experience and/or qualifications than you.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile... At an English language school in the target country this is happening:

Knock-Knock!

Who's there?

Foreign English teacher/job seeker!

Let's see... A teacher just quit, can you start tonight?

Teacher on the ground: Sure I can!

Versus:

Teacher applying via internet: Maybe next week, let's see how my other six interviews via Skype go.. Maybe I will decide something, and let somebody... uhhh... you know, maybe I'll be there at their school in maybe, uhh... six months, you know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: