Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Returning to TEFL, and Russia

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
donamari



Joined: 19 Dec 2013
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Returning to TEFL, and Russia Reply with quote

Hi,

I taught at a Russian university for a semester back in 2001, and since then have kind of regretted not spending more time there. Now I'm at a point where I'm due for a change in job/scenery - so I've started looking for TEFL jobs, and although I might earn more elsewhere I'm still drawn to Russia. My qualifications are decent, but that job in 2001 was my last TEFL job, so I'm wondering where that positions me as far as job choice, pay scale, etc. I have a CELTA and 4 yrs total experience. Since then, I did get an MA in Linguistics, which I would think would bump me up a notch but not sure as it is not TESOL/Applied Ling.

I've read posts here about the chain schools, a lot of negatives, but also that it might be a good way to start out. Given my background, what kind of offer should I expect? I'm mainly looking outside of Moscow; I'm interested in Siberia but would consider cities in other areas. I've sent a couple of inquiries to universities but I know the pay is generally pretty low, and although I am not expecting to get rich I do want to be comfortable.

Any advice, suggestions, or moral support greatly appreciated!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jpvanderwerf2001



Joined: 02 Oct 2003
Posts: 1073
Location: New York

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy,

I'm sure you could find some good work in Russia. Most people suggest going the "McSchools" route, since those schools can help you with a work visa, housing, etc; in fact, most universities should be able to help with the same. I think that chain schools and universities are a fine way to start out, particularly in smaller cities (i.e. not Moscow). I personally wouldn't touch Moscow with a ten-foot pole or at least with less than a salary under 125K rubles/month. But that's me.
More lucrative positions in Russia are generally found once your boots are on the ground. As such, I would recommend trying to find a job in a city you'd like to live in and then making contacts during the course of your first contract. Within a couple of years you'll surely find more and more good opportunities coming your way.

Good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
coledavis



Joined: 21 Jun 2003
Posts: 1818

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that people get well paid in Tomsk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hollyhirst



Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: working in Russia Reply with quote

I can recommend Kazan. That's where I am now and I enjoy it. There are a few schools here that hire foreigners.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LAR1SSA



Joined: 02 Nov 2013
Posts: 20
Location: Memphis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Howdy,

I'm sure you could find some good work in Russia. Most people suggest going the "McSchools" route, since those schools can help you with a work visa, housing, etc; in fact, most universities should be able to help with the same. I think that chain schools and universities are a fine way to start out, particularly in smaller cities (i.e. not Moscow). I personally wouldn't touch Moscow with a ten-foot pole or at least with less than a salary under 125K rubles/month. But that's me.
More lucrative positions in Russia are generally found once your boots are on the ground. As such, I would recommend trying to find a job in a city you'd like to live in and then making contacts during the course of your first contract. Within a couple of years you'll surely find more and more good opportunities coming your way.

Good luck.


whoaa i've never seen a job that pays that much money.. i've seen ones that pay less but with subsidized housing of course
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jpvanderwerf2001



Joined: 02 Oct 2003
Posts: 1073
Location: New York

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAR1SSA wrote:
jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Howdy,

I'm sure you could find some good work in Russia. Most people suggest going the "McSchools" route, since those schools can help you with a work visa, housing, etc; in fact, most universities should be able to help with the same. I think that chain schools and universities are a fine way to start out, particularly in smaller cities (i.e. not Moscow). I personally wouldn't touch Moscow with a ten-foot pole or at least with less than a salary under 125K rubles/month. But that's me.
More lucrative positions in Russia are generally found once your boots are on the ground. As such, I would recommend trying to find a job in a city you'd like to live in and then making contacts during the course of your first contract. Within a couple of years you'll surely find more and more good opportunities coming your way.

Good luck.


whoaa i've never seen a job that pays that much money.. i've seen ones that pay less but with subsidized housing of course


Well, that was kind of my point: I'm not fond of Moscow, and I wouldn't live there unless I had something approaching a Western salary.
That being said, there are certainly teachers making that much and more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LAR1SSA



Joined: 02 Nov 2013
Posts: 20
Location: Memphis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
LAR1SSA wrote:
jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Howdy,

I'm sure you could find some good work in Russia. Most people suggest going the "McSchools" route, since those schools can help you with a work visa, housing, etc; in fact, most universities should be able to help with the same. I think that chain schools and universities are a fine way to start out, particularly in smaller cities (i.e. not Moscow). I personally wouldn't touch Moscow with a ten-foot pole or at least with less than a salary under 125K rubles/month. But that's me.
More lucrative positions in Russia are generally found once your boots are on the ground. As such, I would recommend trying to find a job in a city you'd like to live in and then making contacts during the course of your first contract. Within a couple of years you'll surely find more and more good opportunities coming your way.

Good luck.


whoaa i've never seen a job that pays that much money.. i've seen ones that pay less but with subsidized housing of course


Well, that was kind of my point: I'm not fond of Moscow, and I wouldn't live there unless I had something approaching a Western salary.
That being said, there are certainly teachers making that much and more.


Okay I didnt even know it was possible. Is that type of salary common?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jpvanderwerf2001



Joined: 02 Oct 2003
Posts: 1073
Location: New York

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAR1SSA wrote:
jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
LAR1SSA wrote:
jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Howdy,

I'm sure you could find some good work in Russia. Most people suggest going the "McSchools" route, since those schools can help you with a work visa, housing, etc; in fact, most universities should be able to help with the same. I think that chain schools and universities are a fine way to start out, particularly in smaller cities (i.e. not Moscow). I personally wouldn't touch Moscow with a ten-foot pole or at least with less than a salary under 125K rubles/month. But that's me.
More lucrative positions in Russia are generally found once your boots are on the ground. As such, I would recommend trying to find a job in a city you'd like to live in and then making contacts during the course of your first contract. Within a couple of years you'll surely find more and more good opportunities coming your way.

Good luck.


whoaa i've never seen a job that pays that much money.. i've seen ones that pay less but with subsidized housing of course


Well, that was kind of my point: I'm not fond of Moscow, and I wouldn't live there unless I had something approaching a Western salary.
That being said, there are certainly teachers making that much and more.


Okay I didnt even know it was possible. Is that type of salary common?


No, I don't think it's common at all. I think those jobs are mostly international school gigs, corporate jobs, or someone who goes it alone (of course this last one might not exactly be considered a 'salary').

Regardless, it certainly can be done--and not only in Moscow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
donamari



Joined: 19 Dec 2013
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information and suggestions! I did hear back pretty quickly from folks after making a couple of inquiries, so I guess my long break from teaching didn't scare anyone off, or maybe (as my friends have suggested) schools in Siberia aren't being inundated with applications. If everything goes OK with the visa I'm off to Yakutsk (world's coldest city!, discussed recently in another thread) next month. Will be an interesting 9 months, if nothing else, and good to know there are lots of opportunities around once I'm more familiar with Russia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jpvanderwerf2001



Joined: 02 Oct 2003
Posts: 1073
Location: New York

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donamari wrote:
Thanks for the information and suggestions! I did hear back pretty quickly from folks after making a couple of inquiries, so I guess my long break from teaching didn't scare anyone off, or maybe (as my friends have suggested) schools in Siberia aren't being inundated with applications. If everything goes OK with the visa I'm off to Yakutsk (world's coldest city!, discussed recently in another thread) next month. Will be an interesting 9 months, if nothing else, and good to know there are lots of opportunities around once I'm more familiar with Russia.


Congrats on the job!
Bring super warm clothes (remember to layer): The weather up there is no joke. I'm from Minnesota, and I found the cold truly daunting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC