Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Returning to TEFL, and Russia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donamari

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Returning to TEFL, and Russia Reply with quote

Hi,

I taught at a Russian university for a semester back in 2001, and since then have kind of regretted not spending more time there. Now I'm at a point where I'm due for a change in job/scenery - so I've started looking for TEFL jobs, and although I might earn more elsewhere I'm still drawn to Russia. My qualifications are decent, but that job in 2001 was my last TEFL job, so I'm wondering where that positions me as far as job choice, pay scale, etc. I have a CELTA and 4 yrs total experience. Since then, I did get an MA in Linguistics, which I would think would bump me up a notch but not sure as it is not TESOL/Applied Ling.

I've read posts here about the chain schools, a lot of negatives, but also that it might be a good way to start out. Given my background, what kind of offer should I expect? I'm mainly looking outside of Moscow; I'm interested in Siberia but would consider cities in other areas. I've sent a couple of inquiries to universities but I know the pay is generally pretty low, and although I am not expecting to get rich I do want to be comfortable.

Any advice, suggestions, or moral support greatly appreciated!
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy,

I'm sure you could find some good work in Russia. Most people suggest going the "McSchools" route, since those schools can help you with a work visa, housing, etc; in fact, most universities should be able to help with the same. I think that chain schools and universities are a fine way to start out, particularly in smaller cities (i.e. not Moscow). I personally wouldn't touch Moscow with a ten-foot pole or at least with less than a salary under 125K rubles/month. But that's me.
More lucrative positions in Russia are generally found once your boots are on the ground. As such, I would recommend trying to find a job in a city you'd like to live in and then making contacts during the course of your first contract. Within a couple of years you'll surely find more and more good opportunities coming your way.

Good luck.
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that people get well paid in Tomsk.
hollyhirst

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: working in Russia Reply with quote

I can recommend Kazan. That's where I am now and I enjoy it. There are a few schools here that hire foreigners.
LAR1SSA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Howdy,

I'm sure you could find some good work in Russia. Most people suggest going the "McSchools" route, since those schools can help you with a work visa, housing, etc; in fact, most universities should be able to help with the same. I think that chain schools and universities are a fine way to start out, particularly in smaller cities (i.e. not Moscow). I personally wouldn't touch Moscow with a ten-foot pole or at least with less than a salary under 125K rubles/month. But that's me.
More lucrative positions in Russia are generally found once your boots are on the ground. As such, I would recommend trying to find a job in a city you'd like to live in and then making contacts during the course of your first contract. Within a couple of years you'll surely find more and more good opportunities coming your way.

Good luck.

whoaa i've never seen a job that pays that much money.. i've seen ones that pay less but with subsidized housing of course
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAR1SSA wrote:
jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Howdy,

Good luck.

whoaa i've never seen a job that pays that much money.. i've seen ones that pay less but with subsidized housing of course

Well, that was kind of my point: I'm not fond of Moscow, and I wouldn't live there unless I had something approaching a Western salary.
That being said, there are certainly teachers making that much and more.
LAR1SSA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
LAR1SSA wrote:
jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Howdy,

Good luck.

Well, that was kind of my point: I'm not fond of Moscow, and I wouldn't live there unless I had something approaching a Western salary.

Okay I didnt even know it was possible. Is that type of salary common?
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAR1SSA wrote:
jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
LAR1SSA wrote:
jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Howdy,

Good luck.

Okay I didnt even know it was possible. Is that type of salary common?

No, I don't think it's common at all. I think those jobs are mostly international school gigs, corporate jobs, or someone who goes it alone (of course this last one might not exactly be considered a 'salary').

Regardless, it certainly can be done--and not only in Moscow.
donamari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information and suggestions! I did hear back pretty quickly from folks after making a couple of inquiries, so I guess my long break from teaching didn't scare anyone off, or maybe (as my friends have suggested) schools in Siberia aren't being inundated with applications. If everything goes OK with the visa I'm off to Yakutsk (world's coldest city!, discussed recently in another thread) next month. Will be an interesting 9 months, if nothing else, and good to know there are lots of opportunities around once I'm more familiar with Russia.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donamari wrote:
Thanks for the information and suggestions! I did hear back pretty quickly from folks after making a couple of inquiries, so I guess my long break from teaching didn't scare anyone off, or maybe (as my friends have suggested) schools in Siberia aren't being inundated with applications. If everything goes OK with the visa I'm off to Yakutsk (world's coldest city!, discussed recently in another thread) next month. Will be an interesting 9 months, if nothing else, and good to know there are lots of opportunities around once I'm more familiar with Russia.

Congrats on the job!
Bring super warm clothes (remember to layer): The weather up there is no joke. I'm from Minnesota, and I found the cold truly daunting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: