Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

James English School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
harliqueen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: James English School Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am looking to go to Japan and teach English. I know JET is probabaly the best/most reliable program but I'm pretty sure I can't apple for the next round until the fall. I came across James English School and it seems to have generally positive reviews, although not very many and not many that are recent. Does anyone here have recent experience there?

I also have some more general questions about teaching English in Japan. Most importantly, English is my native language but my background is Indian. I was born there but never lived there and have been in Canada from the age of 7. Will this be an issue?

Thank you!
rtm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: James English School Reply with quote

harliqueen wrote:
I know JET is probabaly the best/most reliable program but I'm pretty sure I can't apple for the next round until the fall. I came across James English School and it seems to have generally positive reviews, although not very many and not many that are recent. Does anyone here have recent experience there?

Yes, you've missed JET for this year -- applications are due at the end of November or early in December each year, and there is only 1 intake per year.

I don't have any first-hand or recent info about JES, but I had a friend who worked for them for about 5 years (ending about 2 years ago), and he generally enjoyed working there. They place people primarily in the Tohoku region, which is mostly pretty rural. It's a beautiful part of the country to live in, but not everyone's cup of tea.

Quote:
I also have some more general questions about teaching English in Japan. Most importantly, English is my native language but my background is Indian. I was born there but never lived there and have been in Canada from the age of 7. Will this be an issue?

What is your country of citizenship? Canada? Then you are Canadian, end of story. As long as you speak with a Canadian accent rather than Indian, then you should be fine. There might be a few crappy places that will be worried about parents' reaction to a brown teacher, but I think you'll find that those are the exception, and most places will accept you fine.
harliqueen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am Canadian. Accent completely Canadian. Thanks for the info!
You might not know but was your friend able to save any money on the salary? Do you know if there would only be one foreign teacher per school?
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you've had pretty much your entire education in an English-speaking country, so no problems with being Indian born. Holding a Canadian passport would be advantageous.

EDIT I shouldn't have written this next bit. I was actually talking about eikaiwa gakkou in general, not James school. See apology further down the thread.

As for your appearance (assuming you look like you're from India), of course they'd prefer someone with a milky-pale complexion, blue-eyes, blond curly hair, and a long pointy nose, but I'm sure you'll do. Just try not to be mistaken for a Phillippino housewife.

Last edited by Pitarou on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
benshi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that notion about only wanting blue-eyed blondes is pretty much a thing of the past, except maybe in very rural areas. Japan has gotten a lot more cosmopolitan and international even in the time I've been here, and (for example) my eikaiwa company has employed and currently employs Americans and Canadians of Indian, Mexican, Turkish, Hmong and several other heritages. You'll be fine!
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benshi wrote:
I think that notion about only wanting blue-eyed blondes is pretty much a thing of the past, except maybe in very rural areas. Japan has gotten a lot more cosmopolitan and international even in the time I've been here, and (for example) my eikaiwa company has employed and currently employs Americans and Canadians of Indian, Mexican, Turkish, Hmong and several other heritages. You'll be fine!

I don't disagree. (But I still think that, all things being equal, they'll prefer someone who matches the above stereotype.)
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the owner of an eikaiwa I work part-time at has instructed his Head Teacher not to hire one person because she didn't look "foreign" (she was Canadian of Asian ancestry) and no black people. This is in Chiba, 20kms from Tokyo. Hopefully it's just because he's 72 and a bit of a racist dinosaur.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm black and working here ok. James is nice I feel. The location is ideal for me weather wise since it's in Tohoku, lots of onsen, nice people, etc. in all honesty, I don't have any real negatives about the place, except for inconsistent schedules, but that's not unique to James and more so an Eikaiwa issue.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back on what I wrote, I see that I owe James School a humble apology.

When I talked about schools preferring white teachers, I was thinking about eikaiwa gakkou in general (especially ones owned by Japanese). But the discussion was actually about James' School. So I gave the impression that James discriminates racially. In fact, I have no reason to think that is the case.

I very much hope that my careless comments have not affected James School's reputation, or discouraged anyone from applying for a job there.

Very sorry about that.

Pitarou
rxk22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about it Pitarou.

That said, I do believe that most places, even if it is not blatant, want blonde/blue eyed people. As that is what their customers seem to want as well. It is just how it is.
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of qualifications are needed? They don't mention anything on the website. Do you need a degree and a cert, or just a degree, or what exactly?

Do they accept applications year round or only at certain times?
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked there years ago and you only need a Bachelor's degree to get hired there like most eikaiwa jobs. I had a teaching license also so that helped. It was the first job I applied for and I was hired over the phone. I don't remember what time of year it was, but yes, I get the impression they hire all year round because people's contracts come up at different times or someone may suddenly leave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: