Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESOL vs TEFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly pity any newbie reading this ....who to believe ?
I suspect that as ever , the truth lies somewhere in the middle Rolling Eyes
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still argue that the best advice is to maximize your chances. Take an onsite TEFL course that is a CELTA or equivalent - in Prague if possible. Simply because most people on the job market here have this. Job search at the peak hiring period (September). Your job search may be easy or hard, but timing and qualifications are factors you can control.
Mercury Morris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmett grogan wrote:
'Fast and Loose' Mercury Morris paints a totally unrealistic picture of Prague for a newbie whos just got a tefl/tesol. The only people making money out of tefl in Prague are the owners of the language schools.

I'm sorry, but there are thousands of Americans here who are doing quite well actually teaching English and enjoying a very comfortable standard of living.

I'm only telling the truth, speaking from my personal experience. Sorry about that if it disturbs you so much.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What motivation would any of us have to 'scare away' would-be teachers from Prague? It shouldn't be to protect territory, if there's so much easy work to be had.

Those of us who have been around a while don't need to be concerned about newbies taking our jobs, either - it takes qualifications, experience, and local contacts to get the better jobs around and any newbie on this market can expect to pay some dues before finding something better than entry-level.

Basically, there is one poster here out of many whose advice is quite strongly different than the rest. And it isn't me Rolling Eyes
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that poster DMd me today with a message headed, "You're a loser". So I suppose I must be doing something right. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: