Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tough Young Teachers (BBC)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Tough Young Teachers (BBC) Reply with quote

Hi

This seems interesting. Just started watching it: Tough Young Teachers - Episode 1

Description:
Series following six trainee teachers. Charles faces a huge workload of 500 students a week to teach, some of whom have only just arrived in the country and cannot speak English.

Youtube link for those who cannot view it on the BBC.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very depressed having watched this...

Need a drink.
Shroob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been so glad I decided to cancel my P.G.C.E. course and opted to do a CELTA instead.
MsRT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

I can't seem to access the youtube link!
Shroob, having done pgce would make you qualified in UK and elsewhere right? Surely, one year struggle (if you're able) is worth it?

Not criticizing, just asking....or maybe I haven't watched the vid to make such comments yet!
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsRT wrote:
Hey

Sorry! When I did a search on Youtube some of the uploads seemed deleted, but that link was available at the time. So, maybe the BBC have been checking and asking YT to delete them when they see them.

Quote:

Shroob, having done pgce would make you qualified in UK and elsewhere right? Surely, one year struggle (if you're able) is worth it?

Not criticizing, just asking....or maybe I haven't watched the vid to make such comments yet!

Well, I guess one reply could be the "workload" and behaviour management, but surely that applies in all countries in state secondary schools? However, in saying that UK doesn't seem such a great place to be a secondary school teacher.

About the show: It's about "Teach First" trainees - a programme slightly different to a PGCE which places teachers in difficult, low performing schools almost immediately, with very little previous training and more actual time in schools than a typical PGCE (although in saying that PGCE students do in fact spend 2/3s of their time in schools), so naturally it won't be easy and won't necessarily reflect the average UK state secondary school. Furthermore, it's easy for a TV programme to solely focus on what they "want" you to see, deleting what they don't want you to see (depending on what they want from the programme).

I believe the one year, well actually 2 years when you count induction year, is worth it because:

a- it's a good qualification to have, and
b- there's a bursary available, meaning in my case it will cover all my costs and is essentially a "free" qualification.

This is something I'll be doing in September, so I hope it's worth it!
Shroob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsRT wrote:
Hey

Hmm, it's a bit convoluted but, yes. You do a P.G.C.E. then you have 5 years to start to work in a school (meaning you don't have to work straight after graduation but start within 5 years). At that point you are a NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) for one year. After that year, if you were successful, you get QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). So, the process from PGCE to QTS is usually 2 years. There are other ways to get QTS, but the PGCE is by far the most common.

If it's worth it depends on what type of person you are and what you value in life. Thankfully I realised it wasn't for me. I volunteered part-time in a local school, at first I was enthusiastic and liked it. By the end of the 6 months I was sapped, worn-out, done. Before the PGCE course began I went on an introductory course where I was told 1/3 of all new teachers quit within 1 year. The stress levels of teachers are going through the roof.

The workload is tremendous. Where I volunteered, most teachers were at the school by 8am and didn't leave until 6pm. Then they did further work at home. The behaviour of the students was awful. A total lack of apathy towards education.

I really do sound like a downer, but it's just how I felt. On the contrary, teaching English is absolutely fantastic! When I taught abroad my students were the best part of the job. The hours are much more manageable and I lived stress free.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A total lack of apathy towards education.

Oh, I wish the teachers I work with all had a lack of apathy in this respect!!
MsRT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you all the best kpjf! Hope it all goes well for you!

@ Shroob, wow, it does sound like a downer but rightfully so I guess, with your experience...
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to some of the brats in my Thai public school those kids look quite respectful and well behaved.

Years ago I volunteered on a bird reserve for six months, come the holiday period a few completely burnt out looking teachers joined the volunteer group. They said they came every year as a kind of stress release to stop them from going crazy.
kpjf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsRT wrote:
I wish you all the best kpjf! Hope it all goes well for you!

Thanks MsRT Smile

Shroob wrote:

Hmm, it's a bit convoluted but, yes. You do a P.G.C.E. then you have 5 years to start to work in a school (meaning you don't have to work straight after graduation but start within 5 years).

Actually, the 5 year rule is no longer in place, but I agree it does seem a bit convoluted. However, if you get a PGCE and don't do your induction year within 5 years some questions may be asked from employers!

Shroob wrote:

The workload is tremendous. Where I volunteered, most teachers were at the school by 8am and didn't leave until 6pm. Then they did further work at home. The behaviour of the students was awful. A total lack of apathy towards education.

Of course I agree the workload seems heavy, but regarding the behaviour I don't think it's all so rosy outside the UK, is it? I'm sure many of the posters here could tell you about the bad behaviour of their students!

Curiously in my country, Northern Ireland, although still part of the UK, the PGCE works differently in that you don't need to do an induction year - you're immediately certified after the PGCE. And it only costs £3,500 whereas in England it's £9,000. Nevertheless, the big bursary available in England is essentially my reason for going there Smile
Shroob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK, it was a while (3 years) since I was earmarked for the PGCE course so things have changed by the sounds of it.

Yeah, there will be poorly behaved students in every country, just they seem to get away with a lot more here. Personally speaking, I've never had students that behaved half as badly as those in UK state schools. Compared to them, my ESL students are a dream!

The bursary depends on what subject you train for, but you'll know more about that than me. Out of interest, what subject are you going for?
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
Ah OK, it was a while (3 years) since I was earmarked for the PGCE course so things have changed by the sounds of it.

Yeah, there will be poorly behaved students in every country, just they seem to get away with a lot more here. Personally speaking, I've never had students that behaved half as badly as those in UK state schools. Compared to them, my ESL students are a dream!

No problem. I think many people are actually confused regarding the 5 year thing. However, even though it's not in place if you didn't do your induction year within 5 years you'd probably have to have an amazing reason for not having done it within that time. So essentially, there might as well be a limit!

Quote:

The bursary depends on what subject you train for, but you'll know more about that than me. Out of interest, what subject are you going for?

I'll be applying for Spanish with French. If you don't know, the bursary amount also depends on your degree classification; so having a 2:1 then applying for languages will get you £15,000 and a first will get you £20,000. On the other hand for English, history etc for a first you can only get £9,000, or £4,000 for a 2:1, so if that was the case for me I definitely wouldn't bother.

There's a table on this page telling you what subjects get you what: http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/postgraduate-funding

Not tempted are you Shroob? Very Happy
Shroob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:
Shroob wrote:

No problem. I think many people are actually confused regarding the 5 year thing. However, even though it's not in place if you didn't do your induction year within 5 years you'd probably have to have an amazing reason for not having done it within that time. So essentially, there might as well be a limit!

Quote:

I'll be applying for Spanish with French. If you don't know, the bursary amount also depends on your degree classification; so having a 2:1 then applying for languages will get you £15,000 and a first will get you £20,000. On the other hand for English, history etc for a first you can only get £9,000, or £4,000 for a 2:1, so if that was the case for me I definitely wouldn't bother.

There's a table on this page telling you what subjects get you what: http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/postgraduate-funding

Not tempted are you Shroob? Very Happy

Definitely not! Scarred for life, I am.

IF I was to venture into National Curriculum teaching, it would be for history (and the £9,000 bursary woudn't cut it!). For now, and the foreseeable future, I'm happy with my MA Applied Linguistics and will stick to teaching English to uni aged people or older!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: