Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get an ALT job?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zbird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: How to get an ALT job? Reply with quote

I'm pretty clueless as to how to get an ALT job besides the JET route, I've heard the other options being dispatch agency and direct hire but I don't know what exactly one must do to get hired through each method.

Could someone break down how to apply to become an ALT through:

1. Dispatch agencies
2. Direct hire,

Including where to find the agencies/listings, how to apply, what agencies there are, and anything else you might think is relevant.

I will be going to Kobe/Osaka at the beginning of next month and would like to be well-prepared in understanding the approaches to finding a job.
Big_H

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could browse the forum to find what you need, like this thread on its first page:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=105268&sid=d6089c7957c6233f2950ed263832ae0f
steki47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Interact, Altia Central, Borderlink, W5 and a few others I can't think of right now. Some of them conduct interviews overseas.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interac are getting increasingly bad press, W5 are time wasters, and I'd very strongly recommend that people avoid Borderlink.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

City halls that practice direct hire are generally not set up to hire from overseas. In my experience, they advertise by putting a small notice, in Japanese, in the city hall newsletter that is distributed to local residents. In any case, you've missed hiring season, and they won't consider you until you have a visa.

I know of people who speculatively dropped off their resume at city hall and lucked out, but they weren't exactly fresh off the boat.
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
Interac are getting increasingly bad press, W5 are time wasters, and I'd very strongly recommend that people avoid Borderlink.

In their defense, Interac hire outside of Japan and they have a lot of new positions, making them a decent option for someone trying to break into Japan.
zbird

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is hiring season for ALTs? I was told February to March would be the busiest?

Anyone have any information on how to go through dispatch agencies? Do they post their positions on job search websites like eikawas? Or do I have to know the agencies in each area and go directly to their websites to apply?
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said you'd missed hiring season, I meant for direct hires.

Dispatch Agencies generally have websites. When I said you'd missed hiring season, I was talking about Direct Hire. I don't know much about Agency hiring schedules.

You also need to consider the visa processing time. The school year starts in April!
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question - best to get started with a dispatch to get your feet on the ground and start pounding pavement to find a direct-hire job. I had a friend back in my time in Japan who worked as ALT for a while and he had a class observation. Apparently he did well enough that one of the observers actually approached him for a position getting directly hired for a cool 100,000 extra a month!
zbird

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rusty. The question still remains though. Do dispatch agencies post on job listing websites or do I have to know the ones that operate in a certain area and apply directly through their website?
ssjup81

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbird wrote:
Thank you Rusty. The question still remains though. Do dispatch agencies post on job listing websites or do I have to know the ones that operate in a certain area and apply directly through their website?
You could check out jobsites like Gaijinpot. Dispatch companies advertise there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stumptowny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luck and timing. its out of your control. dead serious
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: