Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

23k to 26k AED: What does that get you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: 23k to 26k AED: What does that get you? Reply with quote

This seems to be a flat salary irrespective of where one is placed in the UAE.

As a family (Myself, wife plus son) is this reasonable?

Accommodation makes up a part of this salary: but the big question is how much? Obviously, I'd like to save a good chunk of this salary, but am I likely to have to pay 10K AED monthly to live somewhere? If so, the salary seems too low to make it worthwhile.

Please get back to me with any thoughts about whether this seems like reasonable pay.
Fatboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: It is low Reply with quote

If that does not include housing, it is very low especially if you are talking about Dubai.
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on where you are living. Rents in Abu Dhabi and Dubai would make that salary not worth taking in my opinion because they are so inflated. However, you could get a decent 2 or 3 bedroom place in Al Ain for about 6,000 - 8,000 a month.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This refers to only one employer at this time and that it HCT. Granted they are the largest tertiary employer in the UAE and probably in the Gulf.

But, if they are happy with the way to works out, we might see ZU and UAEU following suit.

VS
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I managed to wrangle a job in Fujairah or RAK, then this would amount to a fair salary? Housing at 6-8k per month?

Also, having had a quick glance at a couple of housing sites I noted that rent is payable on an annual rather than monthly basis. How do people get round this?
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, that's a really good point....rents ARE normally paid upfront for the year, so I have no idea how that would work. Normally with employers the housing allowance is separate, so this isn't an issue. If needed, I would imagine that HCT would have to set something up to 'loan' the full year's rent to their employees with deductions made monthly from their salary or some other sort of system. The other alternative could be the employee getting a bank loan.

I'm not sure what rents in RAK or Fujeirah are like, but they are probably similar to those in Al Ain and would definitely be cheaper than AD or Dubai.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pay 6k to 8k for housing, you are foolish, except in Dubai the rent caps have been lifted. I work in Sharjah and live in the Corniche area and pay 3,500 aed per month for a 3 bedroom. RAK and Fujeirah are cheaper and depends upon the amount of bedrooms.

Look around using Dubizzle and other sites that list rentals, negotiate if you can with the agents, watch to make sure the agent is properly licensed in the Emirate and isn't on any suspensions (no Emirate will stamp the lease if they are suspended), and be ready for about a month of so of looking.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I have had a quick look around and there seems to be a fair amount of reasonable value accommodation available outside Dubai.

How many teachers actually get posted to the city of their choice? If one were to refuse a posting to Dubai (for example) would that likely be the end of the recruitment process, or would they continue to try and match you up with the emirate of your choice?

Secondly, the laws on house buying seem rather reasonable. Do the majority of teachers buy after they have settled in? Renting seems such a waste of income in a country that, on paper at least, seems inviting for foreign property buyers.
2buckets

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have little choice (at HCT) regarding posting location, (unless you have some very specialized skill). If you refuse a posting, that's a red flag that you are a "trouble maker" and most likely the recruitment process will come to a screeching halt. An exception might be if you request some of the less popular locations like Madinat Zayed in the western desert, or the northern Emirates locations.

Buying in a country like to UAE can be fraught with problems longterm. There is no "rule of law", especially for foreigners.

For example, if some "VIP" wants to build a mall on your house, he will, and there is little you can do about it. You may or may not be compensated, and if you are, it won't be anywhere near the actual market value of your house.

People buy flats on a 99 year lease basis. The lifespan of such a building is 25-30 years at best. So, what do you have if the building is torn down, of course to be replaced by a bigger and gaudier building. Do you think the obscenely greedy Sheik who owns the building will give a new flat, think again.

Buying property will also most likely involve getting a bank loan at high interest rates, accompanied by things like getting the banks permission to leave the country on holiday.

The are numerous pitfalls involved in buying property. Will you get resident visa status so you can stay if you lose your job? In spite of the perceived tranquility of the Gulf states, it is in a very unstable area, with a soon to be nuclear Iran, followed by a nuclear Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Turkey. Things that ought to be considered. I was in Iran before, during and after the revolution in 1978-1979. Things can change literally overnight. (Months before the revolution started{ on July 16, 1978}, American president Jimmie Carter was toasting the Shah in Tehran on New Years Eve 1978 stating that "Iran was an island of stability in a sea of turmoil", 6 months later the country was in flames).

I would certainly finish my probation year, and consult with those who have purchased property before making such a very serious commitment.

Last edited by 2buckets on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wailing_imam wrote:
Secondly, the laws on house buying seem rather reasonable. Do the majority of teachers buy after they have settled in? Renting seems such a waste of income in a country that, on paper at least, seems inviting for foreign property buyers.

2buckets covered this very well. It is inviting the super rich, not our level investor. Personally I wouldn't even consider buying in this part of the world. There have been nightmare stories of people who bought... got "non-renewed" (fired) and then have to leave the country - unable to sell.

This would be considered a high risk investment. I would only consider if it wouldn't matter if you had to walk away from a total loss. For instance... under the 'what if" scenarios... what happens if war breaks out with Iran?

Quote:
How many teachers actually get posted to the city of their choice?

Applications that pass muster go into a pool. Branches that have an opening peruse those in the pool to see if they are interested in making an offer. So, your choice has to fit into their needs... which naturally are what comes first. I know people who have turned down the first offer and received another offer for another branch the next year. But this involved a strong CV with years of experience in Arab universities. One needs to have a strong reason... for instance, if you have kids who need to go to the schools in AD or DB. For most, it is probably a take it or leave it offer.

VS
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: 23k to 26k AED What does that get you? Reply with quote

As 2buckets summed it up, investing in property is not recommended. As for property lasting 25+ years, well that's a bit optimistic. Other considerations include a) substandard quality of products, e.g., several ex-pats experienced fires from faulty electrical wiring or crashing chandeliers destroying their diningroom set, and b) unskilled laborers perform the construction work. The complex where I lived was only 8 years old and already the walls were crumbling, which invited every anthropod outside through the cracked baseboards and when it rained (the villa had no foundation), there was a pool of ochre-colored water staining the marble-tiled floors that were not level. The water always seemed to gravitate towards the only outlet in each room. The cupboards were improperly installed and by the time I was ready to depart, they had fallen off the frames. I used to refer to my abode as the "ghetto villa." The list could go on and on but these are other considerations to be aware of. Save your money.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent advice. It sounds like a bit of an investment nightmare.

Next theme is education for the children. I have a preference for the northern emirates, and RAK in particular. My child will be starting primary school and are the international schools in these northern emirates actually any good? Would one be advised to send a primary school age child there , or, for the sake of education, would it be infinitely better to be in Dubai or Abu Dhabi?
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be best served to do Google searches "best Dubai Schools" "Best Ras Al Khaima Schools" etc. See what others are posting and what schools are good or not. In general Indian and Pakistani schools are pretty strict and have good outcomes, I have seen it for myself even though I teach in an Arab/Expat school. Pretty much the more of a "local" population attending the school, the worse the behavior problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: