Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phone number on resume, what to do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zbird

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Phone number on resume, what to do? Reply with quote

I will be leaving for Japan soon, and the phone number that I use in my country will not be in service anymore. What should I do regarding putting my phone number on my resume? Should I put my current one and call them when I get there to update them? Or should I put the number of a good friend that I have in Japan (which will at least be still in use) and then update them when I get there?
kah5217

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not put both with a date?

xxx-xx-xx until 00/00
xxx-xx-xxx from 00/00

No law saying you can't have more than one number on your resume.
zbird

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I won't know my number in Japan until I get there. Or is there a way to get it beforehand?
rtm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused by this:
zbird wrote:
Or should I put the number of a good friend that I have in Japan (which will at least be still in use) and then update them when I get there?
zbird wrote:
Well I won't know my number in Japan until I get there. Or is there a way to get it beforehand?
Why not just ask your friend their number?

Do you plan to get your own number once you arrive in Japan? (You didn't indicate that in your OP, only that you would have access via your friend's number.) Keep in mind that, afaik, you can't get a mobile/sim in Japan without being a resident. If this is relevant, there have been other threads on this, so a search would be useful.

If you have a place to stay (guesthouse?), you might be able to put that number. Or, are you staying with your friend?

Another option would be to get a (Japanese) number via something like Skype, and then, once you arrive, set it to forward to whatever number you eventually have access to. In the meantime, you can always receive calls on it via computer.
zbird

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was what I meant, that I would put my friend's number on my resume. Not sure if this would be a problem since it's not technically my number.

I have searched the phone threads and it seems like most visitors go with Softbank. Or are you talking about the monthly plans for residents?

The Skype option is interesting, I'll research that. Might be the best bet.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about what will the hirer would find most helpful, and do that.
rtm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbird wrote:
That was what I meant, that I would put my friend's number on my resume. Not sure if this would be a problem since it's not technically my number.
I don't think it would be a problem, as long as you can receive calls there consistently (assuming you are staying with your friend).

Quote:
I have searched the phone threads and it seems like most visitors go with Softbank. Or are you talking about the monthly plans for residents?
I was talking about prepaid or monthly plans. As far as I know, visitors (i.e., on a short-term, tourist visa) cannot get either. For example, see here for the application procedure for SoftBank prepaid phones: http://mb.softbank.jp/en/prepaid_service/purchasing_procedures.html.

SoftBank has rental options for visitors: http://www.softbank-rental.jp/e/ . There are also SIM rental options out there. The cheapest I've seen is about 1,000 yen per day (SIM only, not including phone).

Quote:
The Skype option is interesting, I'll research that. Might be the best bet.
If you are not staying with your friend and won't have consistent access to another phone, this is what I would do. It would give you a number *now*, that will be consistent, and that you can have access to anywhere in Japan you can get wifi.

-----
On preview: Exactly what Pitarou said. Do whatever is the quickest, easiest way for a potential employer to speak to you.
zbird

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I understood those threads I read wrong. Good thing I found out now. So what do all the tourists do then regarding a phone? Especially the ones looking for jobs? Do they all do the skype thing or rent sim cards? I would need to get a smartphone for that as well.

I might put the number for my friend for now. Do Japanese companies usually contact you by phone or email during the hiring process or does it vary from company to company?
Big_H

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbird wrote:
Do Japanese companies usually contact you by phone or email during the hiring process or does it vary from company to company?

Unless you have applied for agencies that have offices in your home country then don't worry too much about including your home country's phone number at this point. If a Japanese employer is considering applicants from overseas who haven't even passed their first interview, it is much more convenient to initiate contact by email and use it to establish the means communication later be it by phone or Skype interview. You will have a bigger window at this point to explain your situation -whether you'll be at your friend's, in a gaijin house or if you will be able to attend an interview in person- and how you can be reached conveniently.

Note that my hint mostly applies prior to your arrival to Japan.
zbird

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the Skype option, if I'm not in a spot with Wifi at the moment I receive a call, does it automatically go to my voicemail? And even if I kept the phone on skype all day, wouldn't that drain the batteries?
zbird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a bit more research into the options, and it seems like you can rent cell phones at the airport.

For example: http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_19.html

and

http://www.rentafonejapan.com/

The rates don't seem out of this world either, 3900 yen for the first week and 300 yen per day after that with 35 yen/min on calls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: