Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeff Mohamed's Teaching English Overseas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted Engel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Jeff Mohamed's Teaching English Overseas Reply with quote

I've heard Teaching English Overseas is a highly valuable resource for locating and obtaining positions, but an extensive search of bookstores here in Chicago failed to produce a copy.

I'm aware it's available through the English International website, but I'd appreciate your thoughts if you found the book worthwhile before I order it.

Thank you for your help!
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Save your money Reply with quote

Jeff Mohamed is a CELTA trainer and I got the book through the CELTA course. The book gives a decent overview of the market in several countries with a list of EFL schools, most of which are large chains you could find easily on your own since they advertise most heavily in the local papers.

Some of the info about markets is a bit dated, and overly optimistic. For instance, In Thailand, "Teachers usually teach only 5 days a week and 20-25 hours a week.....Most teachers report that they can save $400-$500 a month without too much difficulty while still being able to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle." In my experience, somebody had a really good month if they could save $200 in Thailand.

There's also a lot of no-brainer info on writing resumes, conducting yourself on the job, respecting the laws of the country, etc. And info on where to take CELTA courses. If you really have NO IDEA about teaching EFL overseas then it's a good book to start with. Otherwise, if you're just looking for places to send your resume, do a google search or find a message board devoted to EFL in a certain country. Good luck. Very Happy
chuckie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: a bit too simple Reply with quote

I am a fan of Jeff M's work, but I found the book way too simple. And the coverage for international jobs - inadequate. Not up to his usual quality. Or, someone else wrote it for him or his organization. Just my opinion.
leslie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye

Last edited by leslie on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ted Engel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone, for all of your insights!

Regards,

Ted Engel
Chicago, IL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: