Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berlitz Bangkok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huemeister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Berlitz Bangkok Reply with quote

I've tried to find a posting about Berlitz in Bangkok, but wasn't able to find anything.

I have just finished training for Berlitz, and am set to start work there, but I'm not thrilled with the salary (33 - 38,000 baht per month). In the long run, I guess it could be a stepping stone to working at Berlitz centers worldwide with horizontal and vertical movement through the company, but I'm seeking input from those instructors who have actually worked at Berlitz in Thailand.

Any thoughts or criticisms?

Thanks
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look around and see if you notice anything better that would be available to you. The average salary at a school is 30,000 (private), less for public. High end salaries tend to be 40,000 and those are hard to get. Berlitz has in my understanding a solid reputation as being a decent place to work at. So go ahead and turn it down if you want.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Salaries for EFL instructors in BKK are quite competitive....the Baht 30,000 something range is what you should expect monthly and teaching at Berlitz is no exception (I used to teach for them too).....there are better paying jobs out there at international schools etc. but you need the proper qualifications. Actually if you are looking to save money as an EFL instructor it is best to avoid the LOS altogether and look for more more lucrative destinations in Asia such as Vietnam, Burma and Laos or even Malaysia. On the other hand, teaching in the LOS is a great adventure for those new to the world of TEFL. Good luck! Smile
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled out an application for Berlitz, into the garbage it went, be that as it may, you won't find a better place to work at except for maybe Wall Street, for the money you are making.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
I filled out an application for Berlitz, into the garbage it went, be that as it may, you won't find a better place to work at except for maybe Wall Street, for the money you are making.

Did the staff or a manager tell you that your CV went into the garbage? And why?

I walked into Berlitz several years ago and it looked nice, but the teachers didn't look or sound all that happy. They work a lot of hours for low pay.

Wall Street could be here today and gone tomorrow. Just like when it was in Taiwan.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
plumpy nut wrote:

Did the staff or a manager tell you that your CV went into the garbage? And why?

I walked into Berlitz several years ago and it looked nice, but the teachers didn't look or sound all that happy. They work a lot of hours for low pay.

Wall Street could be here today and gone tomorrow. Just like when it was in Taiwan.

No, No I just assume it landed there because I was never called in for an interview. I knew a teacher that worked there at one time and he said it was OK, not a bad place to work at.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berlitz usually pays at the low end of the local spectrum, whatever that is. The rationale I've heard is that the Berlitz method means that lesson prep is either nil or very minimal - basically, they make it all very easy for the teacher. And, obviously, no other cert or qualifications needed. In fact, if you have a cert, plumpy nut, that might be why they never called you. They prefer teachers who won't be tempted to use other methods.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I would recommend Berlitz for newcomers to the EFL profession. A lot of teachers work there for years (I know of many still there in Bangkok and are happy)...if you are willing to put in the hours the pay is average. You get used to a method of teaching that has proven successful all over the world. Berlitz offers many international languages taught by native speakers from all over the world. Good luck!
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm even looking at Berlitz now, as well. I went in on Friday and spoke to the I.S. and he told me that lessons are available, although I'd have to start off as a per-lesson instruction.

I think the schools look really nice and they would be a nice environment in which to work, as far as language schools go.

Had a look at Taiwan recently and found that Berlitz closed all of their schools a few years ago. I was surprised to hear that.

Back in Bangkok now and I'll wait on a few other offers that I have and then decide if Berlitz is what I want.

But not the worst offer one can find for TEFL in Thailand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: