Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reasonable Salaries in Jpn. How much according to workload?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reasonable Salaries in Jpn. How much according to workload? Reply with quote

I have seen a jr. HS teaching job with team teaching that pays 240,000 a month. I have also seen solo teaching jobs in private jr. HS that pay 300,000 yen a month.

In the team teaching schools, depending on the Japanese partner teacher you work with, you may or may not have to lead the class. You also may or may not have to come up with the lesson plan and teaching materials.

In the solo teaching schools, you have to do these tasks plus managing the students and grading homework and assignments.

In your opinion, is the extra 60,000 yen worth the extra responsibility?
rtm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasonable Salaries in Jpn. How much according to worklo Reply with quote

Black_Beer_Man wrote:
I think it depends on you, your teaching experience, and your enthusiasm for independently teaching classes. Personally, I think I would go crazy if I had to be someone else's assistant.

I wouldn't mind not having to mark homework, but many ALTs also have to do that.
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasonable Salaries in Jpn. How much according to worklo Reply with quote

Black_Beer_Man wrote:

If the extra 60k includes more job security (seishain rather than hakken) and some pride in having more control over the classroom, then I would say yes.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team teaching does not always work out.
Better to teach by yourself.
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what you want.

Working at Interac, you'll probably have most afternoons completely free to do whatever you want; study Japanese, work on a masters etc. (in some areas interac will pay 250,000 and shakai hokken, in that case is it really worth the extra 50,000 for all that work?)

Working at the private school will probably be more fulfilling though and look better on your CV. Personally, I think if a school expects you to do all of the things you mentioned above, they should pay more than 300,000.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 240,000 yen isn't enough for you to get by then, of course, you should take the 300,000 job. Other than that, it depends very much on what your career plans are.

If you see yourself doing the same kind of work in 5 years time, the more demanding job looks like the right move. You're getting two for the price of one: more money and valuable professional experience. The only downside is that you lose a little flexibility, which may put you at a disadvantage if something unexpected happens.

But if the extra professional experience isn't worth much to you, or if you think your time is better spent on academic qualifications than practical experience, the 240,000 job looks like the right choice. It gives you more flexibility in how you use your time and energy, and that's worth a lot. It means you can roll with the punches more, and take opportunities when you see them. You can still top up your salary with private lessons, if that's the best use of the time and energy you've freed up, but unlike the 300,000 job, you can drop those privates whenever you want.
Big_H

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really comes down to the connotation that you associate with this "extra responsibility". How well does it suit you to take charge and set up every lesson that you'll teach, and how well can you put up with a Japanese teacher for the long term -in a worst case possible scenario- as an alternative.

I doubt that you don't have preferences when comparing both contracts' benefits, locations or offered salaries though; so you should look into these factors too.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many private high schools have lessons from Monday to Saturday. You may work 8am to 8pm when there are exams or major assignments. I have experienced this kind of schedule at private high schools I've worked at.

When you cost it all out -
6 days a week at Y300,000 means you're paid about Y12500 a day.

5 days a week at Y240,000 - Y12000.

If those are the conditions for the private high school job, then you're economically better off taking the ALT job for lower salary and topping up with private students as others have recommended.

If the high school can keep your hours under control, and employ you M-F, it's a good deal for a novice teacher.

Whatever shakes out, good luck!
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Team teaching does not always work out.
Better to teach by yourself.

I know that well. I had one J teacher that did not like my style of teaching. It sucks when co-teachers can't agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: