Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching without TEFL
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baikal2.5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: teaching without TEFL Reply with quote

I am an American who would like to teach in Russia or a Russian-speaking country, but I do not have a TEFL certification. I do have a degree, and I speak Russian.

1. Is it possible to teach English in Russia without a TEFL cert.? If so, where should I look?

2. If I do opt to get a TEFL certification, do you think I will be able to find a job pretty soon afterwards?

3. Is the job market better in Moscow or St. Petersburg (or someplace else entirely)?

Thanks!
waxwing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(just some opinions.. take it with a pinch of salt)

Moscow must be the best place, if you mean by best 'easiest to find a job'. Unlike China, it's not at all easy for the average native speaker to find a job without a proper qualification here. There are a few cowboy operations who will take people like that on, but expect to end up funding the jaunt partly yourself in that case - i.e. they pay badly and are unreliable.

However, your position is entirely different as you speak Russian. If, in addition to that, you have contacts, then you can probably find a way to set yourself up as a teacher (part time, full time or privates) virtually anywhere. Only in Moscow and maybe St Pete's can you make good money though.

PS. I just noticed something .. you said 'I speak Russian', but what does that mean? Are you a native speaker in some sense, or..?
zaneth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pretty much second what waxwing said. You could work anywhere, but could make money in Moscow. What kind of a degree do you have? Do you have a regular school teaching certificate? For a lot of places this might count for more than the TEFL. Do you have business or scientific experience? A specialty? Let us know more about your background.
baikal2.5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My background: I have a B.A. with a double-major in anthropology and Russian. I don't have teaching qualifications, and my only teaching experience is as a volunteer GED and literacy teacher.

I'd like to revise my question: If I wanted to get a TEFL cert. and hope to teach in Russia sometime this academic year, what should I do?

-Are contracts usually available in October, or only for the spring semester?
-Should I put much faith in the "employment support" of TEFL-granting schools in Russia, like Via Lingua? I'd need to find a job pretty soon after I finished a course.

Thanks,
AG
waxwing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Via Lingua, but if you're going to get a CELTA or TESOL in Moscow or St Pete's, you shouldn't have any problem finding a position - depending how fussy you are, of course - with or without 'support'.

Edit: it should be CELTA or Trinity TESOL, nothing else. People often talk about 'TEFL cert.' but only these two certificates are valued here.

Your Russian probably isn't going to make much difference, now you've clarified. It will just oil the wheels a bit. Of course it's a plus.

Timing: any time except now Smile is OK for looking for a job. Early September is best (for actually starting - but if you were arranging a job outside the country, you'd start looking 2 months before, because visas .. не очень легко, let's say), but it's still 'peak' season I suppose all the way through October, because not all planned positions are filled immediately. That's what I hear anyway. I was looking late last October and found something without too much trouble (I wasn't better qualified than you - worse, arguably); but I wasn't very fussy.
zaneth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be fine. Have you ever been here before?
baikal2.5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I studied abroad in St. Petersburg.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoiught St Petersburg was in Russia. Now you tell me it is "abroad". I am confused.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I thoiught St Petersburg was in Russia. Now you tell me it is "abroad". I am confused.

He studied abroad, as opposed to his country of citizenship. I've "studied abroad" a number of times and people that "study abroad" are typically referred to as "study abroad" students. Meaning, they're studying in a country that is not their own. I hope that wasn't too confusing for you.

Yes, very cute. Rolling Eyes
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But America is abroad ! How can this be ?
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
But America is abroad ! How can this be ?

It is if it isn't your country of citizenship. How hard can this be for you to understand?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: God's Own Country !? Reply with quote

I am using irony to point out the absurdity of dividing the world into two places "abroad and home". This is particularly absurd on a multinational site like this one. What percentage of posters here are from the US ? And yet many express themselves as if the audience here were all from God's Own Country.

I suppose anyone who chooses a name like "communist smurf" is probably not very bright. And I should remember that most Yanks are pretty low down the IQ ratings.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized from the start you were attempting to be clever with what you call "irony." But in the context of "study abroad," you are certainly ignorant to the way most universities operate. If you aren't a citizen of the country you are studying in, you are referred to as a "study abroad student" or "international student." No need to thank me for correct your ignorance. I proudly educate stupid people daily, because it's about people helping people and I want you to know I'm going to be sensative to the fact that you're dumber than me.

But who knows, you just might be right about me. Perhaps you can correctly judge my intelligence based on the name I picked. After all, I won a $20,000 scholarship for "studying abroad" from the National Security Education Program. We students from UC Berkeley can be mighty dumb sometimes.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Communist Smurf on Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
waxwing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this was arsingly stupid:
scot47 wrote:

I suppose anyone who chooses a name like "communist smurf" is probably not very bright. And I should remember that most Yanks are pretty low down the IQ ratings.

I mean, not even a smiley .. but then:

Communist Smurf wrote:
I want you to know I'm going to be sensative to the fact that you're dumber than me.

err.. were we talking about irony a moment ago? Laughing

Oh, and to scot, I was going to post a response to you before CS did, but I backed out. See, it seemed to me that your joke was rather 'lame', to use the American parlance, given that his 'location' is listed as Texas.

Well, I know you were trying to be funny Laughing

Last edited by waxwing on Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just couldn't PM me with that, could you? *sigh* I was still in the process of proof-reading. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: