Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Related Degree Rules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anacita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, VS, and Turbster for your knowledge about the topic (and for your sense of humor). Much appreciated!

I gather that MOHE stands for Ministry of Higher Education.

So, my question is: Does the MOHE set the rules for all of the coleges and universities that teach ESL in Oman? Turbster seemed to indicate so.
But if that is the case, then where does the Ministry of Manpower fit in?
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOHE controls the colleges of applied science, and they also have a division that controls private universities. Min of Manpower controls the colleges of technology. SQU does its own thing. There are odds and ends like the nursing schools, banking institute, etc.
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must have lowered the requirements when I arrived, or my company must have had huge wasta because I only had an unrelated BA, a TEFL and a CELTA with 7 years experience (only 2 years college/uni experience but other adult teaching experience). Other people that were hired with me had an unrelated BA, a TESOL and no uni experience (only middle and high school or hogwon in Japan and Korea).

So far I have been approved by the MOHE for two universities now. They are both private universities so maybe that makes a difference. Fingers crossed that I will be approved again after this academic year wherever I may be Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were hired before this rule Lizzie. This is new in the last few months.

VS
Ludvig Von Mises

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once received some advise from a British teacher in Japan who mentioned an MA TESOL and a DELTA to be the virtual "gold standard" in the EFL market. Reading through these postings, it now seems far more complicated.
oldmankit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I read through this thread with interest, but it's quite out of date now. What is the situation now?

Also, could someone please confirm whether these rules apply to every TEFL job in Oman, not just universities/colleges? (I wonder why it would apply to private language schools.)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

oldmankit wrote:
I read through this thread with interest, but it's quite out of date now. What is the situation now?

Also, could someone please confirm whether these rules apply to every TEFL job in Oman, not just universities/colleges? (I wonder why it would apply to private language schools.)

A year doesn't make it outdated. However, the required qualifications posted in the job ads should give you a clue as to what employers expect from applicants. If your quals don't match, you could apply anyway to see if there's some flexibility.

As for language schools, I suspect the hours and pay are lousy and appeal to part timers or teachers seeking side work for extra income and not a main salary to live off of.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They [ministry, recruiters, whoever] have high requirements in terms of qualifications for the teachers to come and work here-seems to me that in terms of the MOM colleges the only real requirement should be a thick skin and classroom management ability......mental level and attitude of half the students puts these jobs on a par with a korean hogwan position in terms of what's needed in class.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that. During my last class, about an hour ago, I was thinking about Omani 18 year olds and basically Korean 12 year olds, maturity wise. And that's being generous.
oldmankit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Rather than hijack this thread, I've started a new one, here.
yb713

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbster wrote:
Sirens of Cyprus wrote:
Quote:
A lot of Arts subjects (History, Philosophy, Politics...) are assessed primarily on the students' writing skills, and to succeed you need to be able to communicate in fluent and intelligent English. Basically, it is exactly the same as an English degree in terms of the skills required.

No. When you receive your graded essay in any other subject, you do not see corrections of your English. You are graded entirely on content. English majors suffer through 4 years of thinking about English and being graded on English. That is why they are called English majors, and that is why they should be hired before some gal with a marketing or education major who can't find a job after graduation, but LOVES to travel, hears about the ESL salaries in the ME, takes a quickie CELTA or even an MA in ESL and flirts her way into a job and then flirts her way into management and winds up being my boss and still does not know a noun from a verb.

WOW! Methinks someone has a wee chip on her shoulder!

I think its only professional snobbery to think that ONLY those with English degrees can teach the English language. I know of many teachers I have worked with, and fellow students, who could not, and cannot write legibly, spell properly, and who are prone to grammatical errors. Many were English majors. There are some teachers who are grammatically sound, yet have difficulty getting the 'message' across to students. You can't lump them all in together.
One observation I will make (valid given my age and experience) is that the best teachers I have seen, have worked outside teaching for some time, and been 'beaten and bruised' by 'real world' experiences where they have not been the focus of attention. That sort of thing brings some form of humility, which is sadly lacking in most who have done nothing else, and therefore have inflated ideas of their own importance.

Good luck with the flirt! Now she will be on the hunt for who has described her so! Could be one helluva catfight, couldn't it? (Love to be there Smile
are you an english major?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: