Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Truth about Taiwan...Please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: the protests Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Aside from the recent protests in Bangkok, the fact that foreigners have been shot and killed, it has a very high gun crime rate. A british couple were killed by a thai policeman after an argument at his restaurant.

I would simply not set foot there, too many mean looking scary people,much like burmese I suspect they have a savage streak.

Are you serious? Thailand is incredibly safe. Yes there have been political protests lately, but aside from that so long as you aren't an idiot Thailand is one of the safest countries you can visit as a foreigner.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: relativity? Reply with quote

Yes, and I thought China was safe until I was attacked by 3 goons for telling them to eff off after they told me to eff off home first, merely for sitting down and having BBQ with a chinese girl.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/aug/17/thailand.familyandrelationships

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Thailand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Adam_Lloyd_and_Vanessa_Arscott

Two stories amongst many. GW types will say they deserved it, or offended locals, the GW's always defend their host nation above their own country and people......there is another story about a british guy getting caught in the crossfire of a thai guy in phuket or somewhere. Gun crime is VERY high, and unlike mainland chinese who will also fight, thai people will fight esp when it comes to money, there was an american stabbed, perhaps fatally in bangkok for arguing over the meter in a taxi by the driver.

Think you need a rethink mate.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: is it doable on the ground running? Reply with quote

Alien1982 wrote:
Spelunker wrote:
Thailand seems scary and frightening to teach in....what about Taiwan? and is a criminal check needed!
What's wrong with Thailand?

Extremely low pay for most ($1000/monthly, sometimes even less, no benefits whatsoever) even those with degrees. Also teaching some of the absolutely most dismal students you will ever experience, except for a few other countries which are just as bad. The upside is your in the tropics. For many of the non-professional teachers or lager louts that is enough, for a lot some like me being in the tropics is not enough for that substandard level of pay.

Last edited by plumpy nut on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: relativity? Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Yes, and I thought China was safe until I was attacked by 3 goons for telling them to eff off after they told me to eff off home first, merely for sitting down and having BBQ with a chinese girl.

Two stories amongst many. GW types will say they deserved it, or offended locals, the GW's always defend their host nation above their own country and people......there is another story about a british guy getting caught in the crossfire of a thai guy in phuket or somewhere. Gun crime is VERY high, and unlike mainland chinese who will also fight, thai people will fight esp when it comes to money, there was an american stabbed, perhaps fatally in bangkok for arguing over the meter in a taxi by the driver.

In general Thailand is very dangerous for the lager louts or in some cases summer vacationers that only come to have loads of pleasure, drink and sometimes have a tendency to seriously disrespect the locals. This sometimes happens for the summer vacationers who don't disrespect the locals. For others who come to see Thailand and avoid the summer break pleasure traps, Thailand is pretty safe, safer than your home country (especially if its the US)

Last edited by plumpy nut on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total
doomer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a 13yr teaching vet.

Nowadays, 25hrs at one place is only available at large chains like Hess, Kojen, etc. Even then, those 25hrs may be split between different branches, so you'll have to commute.

Large chains have higher annual turnover (more unpaid work, Sat work, less teaching freedom, etc), so jobs are usually available there.

Some schools also lie about 20-25hrs, because they know that's what most job seekers want.

Kindie work may offer block hours, but are technically illegal & you risk deportation. (Your ARC will list the kindie's cram "branch".)

Smaller chains may offer ARCs, but will usually have fewer hours.

It's extremely common for vets to work 2 part-time jobs. However, it's less extra unpaid work & less employer leverage.
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: the protests Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Aside from the recent protests in Bangkok, the fact that foreigners have been shot and killed, it has a very high gun crime rate. A british couple were killed by a thai policeman after an argument at his restaurant.

I would simply not set foot there, too many mean looking scary people,much like burmese I suspect they have a savage streak.

Spot on! That Yank was hacked to death AFTER he caught on that the taxi driver had a rigged meter. The Thai cops, par for the course, REFUSED to investigate until the American man's family went to the U.K. papers and then to, I think, Thailand themselves and spent lots on getting the country to do the right thing. This and tons of other articles about Westerners being shot, hacked, stomped, or knifed to death are constantly in the British newspapers. In fact, I read about the fifty-something year old Yank's murder at B.B.C.'s site. And some nice Thais do exist, but it seems that about half of the population is whacked in their heads, and want your money any way they can get it. Read about the Irish children's literature write named Something-or-Other Ward whose SEVEN very, very expensive homes were stolen from him nearly 2 years ago by his former Thai galfriend, her ladyboy gangster chums, and some very upper-level Thai government people. The group have even tried to murder the guys 2 little kids (dropped them in a deep water well and then padlocked it. The children spent 4 nights there.) and him many, many, many times. Go to www.youtube.com to check out the guy's vids. Then there's the feral dogs that are laying about everywhere and the crocodiles that do eat the unwary on lonely roads in or near the nation's cities. And then there's the taxi driver who operates near National Stadium Station in B'kok: He whipped out a pistol and put it against my head in late November and said, " All driver has gun!" He then pulled the trigger. It was not loaded; he had not told me that in advance. I told him that what he did to me was wrong. He replied that he did not care. Trust me, eh, this nation is forked-up beyond belief!

I was robbed of my wallet in the newer international airport in Bangkok upon arrival and then got attacked in a guesthouse for bringing one of its chairs inside from outside where a Thai woman had left it 20 mins earlier. Two weeks later, I was attacked without provocation by 2 Thais because they wanted my money. Spent 3 days in hospital, got 2 bad concussions, lost lots of blood, and the Tourist Police REFUSED TO HELP ME! One week later I was about to leave the country on a visa run sponsored by a company that had hired me as their new international educational-cultural exchange director when the job was taken away from me because the male Thai director simply did not believe that I'd been THE VICTIM of psycho Thais even though he was shown my doctor's forensic reports and read my witness statements to the police.

Lots of foreigners are murdered here every week. Just read the Thai online newspapers or, better, go to www.andrew-drummond.com for that Brit's investigative news reports about criminals slaying foreigners (mostly retired guys). Drummond is a famous investigative journalist in the United Kingdom. There have been so many men murdered and/or robbed entirely of every last baht by their Thai wives of girlfriends that one would not believe it. Truly heartless Thais exist in droves, and money is, like elsewhere in Asia, the only thing that matters to them. One Brit was BARBECUED by his wife and, if memory serves me right, eaten by her and her family. Many females here have many foreign husbands at the same time. On Thai television, there was a news show years ago in which, my Thai-Canadian friend explained to me, the hostess reports that MOST young females and MANY young males say their dream and their parents' dream is for them to con a foreigner out of ALL of his or her money.

Imagine living in a society that is so depraved that the absence of good role models and the elevation of money to the highest place in the scheme of things has, for decades and decades and decades, motivated even very young children from even lower middle class and middle class families to aspire to be anti-foreigner con artists.

Lots of Thais have messed with me since I arrived here on August 26th. One of the cruelest was the taxi driver who picked me up on October 9th or 10th to take me to my country's embassy. He robbed me of my suitcase which had all of my clothes, I.D., and work documents. The Thai guy in charge of my case at my embassy has indirectly admitted to me that he has done NOTHING with regard to my application to get repatriated to Canada, and the Thai companies will not hire me due to my docs being stolen from me. I'm not making any of this up!

Southeast Asia is def. not safe. Stay in Taiwan. Hualien and Taoyuan City are good for jobs right now according to my friends who work there. Taiwanese are def. better on average than S.E. Asians. I lived in Taipei, Hsingu and Taoyuan. Really, anywhere is better than Thailand (or any of the other criminal-infested S.E. Asian countries)

Last edited by Ralph Winfield on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: relativity? Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:

This is the truth!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How heavy is the demand for licensed teachers in the public schools in Taiwan?
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Try checking out the public school scene at the web sites for Taiwan. There is an old one that's much more open than this web site's forums. I can't recall its name at the moment. The public schools paid my Saffir friends, who were not very good at speaking English, about 3 thousand dollars for teaching 20 classes 5 days per week.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: re:HK Reply with quote

Indeed, I feel it is pretty safe in east asia as compared with south east asia.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: thanks for the post and info... Reply with quote

Quote:
because the male Thai director simply did not believe that I'd been THE VICTIM of psycho Thais even though he was shown my doctor's forensic reports and read my witness statements to the police.

Seems xenophobia is alive and well in the schools in Thailand as well.

This obsession with saving face is why these abysmal and savage countries fail to be a player on the world stage at all.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks for the post and info... Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Seems xenophobia is alive and well in the schools in Thailand as well.

Asians are racist.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: well, yes Reply with quote

Pointing and laughing is one thing, even being overcharged a kuai or two here or there.

Being burned alive in a pit, or shot by some racist cop is another thing altogether. Yet people still go to thailand Rolling Eyes Embarassed
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: well, yes Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Pointing and laughing is one thing, even being overcharged a kuai or two here or there.

Being burned alive in a pit, or shot by some racist cop is another thing altogether. Yet people still go to thailand Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Yeah but those things sort of happen in the US too. There is a tendency for that to happen to those who come to literally take advantage of Thailand and then messing with Thai individuals.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: well, yes Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:

Being burned alive in a pit, or shot by some racist cop is another thing altogether.

Thailand is a violent society, Thais are extremely violent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: